PDA

View Full Version : New England mtb tire recommendations

tele
09-11-2013, 12:49 PM
I am looking to see what people are using around New England for a general purpose 26" tire, preferably on the cheaper side.

thanks all

christian
09-11-2013, 01:25 PM
Maxxis Ardent
Schwalbe Nobby Nic
Conti Trail King
Kenda Nevegal

I ride a 26er, but don't think that really matters.

vav
09-11-2013, 01:27 PM
Michelin City slicks. Had them for a while. No issues.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41z-yFptH4L.jpg

tkbike
09-11-2013, 05:09 PM
I ride Schwalbe Hans Dampf tubeless on both my FS 26 & 29er, the best tire I have ever ridden!
Not sure what your riding, I ride trail(drops, planks, ladders,large roots and rocks) and occasional downhill. I don't ride any cross country so these may not work for you if that it is what your riding.

Upstate NY area(Saratoga to Lake Placid), not NE!

crownjewelwl
09-11-2013, 06:02 PM
i like me a NN up front and a RaRa in the rear...but schwalbe tires ain't cheap

i've also had good luck with WTB tires

echelon_john
09-11-2013, 06:05 PM
maxxis ardent tubeless
good bite, rolls light.

Peter P.
09-11-2013, 08:56 PM
I've ridden Ritchey Z-Max exclusively for at least the last 10 years. The Evolution model has wider spaced lugs that are shorter as well, so they won't last as long. The Grip model is what I'd recommend; closer spacing on the knobs and they're taller. The closer spacing will help them roll a bit better/quieter on the road too, if that's a priority for you.

The Z-Max tread pattern seems to grip just about anything in any condition.

The wire bead versions of each model are $30.

I just installed a new, WCS version. I wouldn't buy those again. They're wicked light but I can tell the tread isn't going to last.

markie
09-11-2013, 10:34 PM
I like all the tyres Christian likes!

Maxxis ardent is my favourite front tyre right now.

I really like the schwalbe tyres, they are pretty light. The racing ralph is great in the dry, but The nobby nic is better all around.

As for the Z max, no offense, but I thought they were terrible almost 20 years ago. They always let go on loose corners. Tyre technology has come on in leaps and bounds. I bet you would rail every corner with the schwalbe racing ralph.

tele
09-12-2013, 05:43 PM
I like all the tyres Christian likes!

Maxxis ardent is my favourite front tyre right now.

I really like the schwalbe tyres, they are pretty light. The racing ralph is great in the dry, but The nobby nic is better all around.

As for the Z max, no offense, but I thought they were terrible almost 20 years ago. They always let go on loose corners. Tyre technology has come on in leaps and bounds. I bet you would rail every corner with the schwalbe racing ralph.
Mark spells TIRES like a unAmerican :p

thanks for all the suggestions guys!

Tyler Evans
09-13-2013, 07:02 AM
Another vote for the Maxxis Ardent.

sashae
09-13-2013, 07:46 AM
I'm a fan of the Trail Kings as well, and previously really liked Specialized Captain SWorks..

Dave B
09-13-2013, 08:10 AM
I like Kenda nevegal or Schwalbe racing ralph for the front and maybe a slant 6 or small block 8 for the rear.

All around I think a Nevegal would last you some time. Roll well enough, but hook up in sketchy stuff.

jh_on_the_cape
09-13-2013, 11:03 AM
Maxxis Ardent
Schwalbe Nobby Nic
Conti Trail King
Kenda Nevegal

I ride a 26er, but don't think that really matters.

What he said. I find the Schwalbe and Conti more $ but better quality than Kenda.

If you ride VT stuff, look at Hans Dampf too.