PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Taylor stolen recently?

jtakeda
09-10-2013, 11:50 PM
I know everyone around here shivers at the name Paul Taylor so I'll apologize in advance. At work today myself and another forum member saw a suspicious looking kid with a Taylor that was about 4-5cm too big for him.

When a friend of ours confronted the kid he bolted. This led to a 10 minute chase on bike, which involved a lot of slow rolling as he was crafty and hiding in alleys.

Long story short, we have this Paul Taylor. Sooooo.......anyone know a friend who got a Paul Taylor stolen recently in the Bay Area?

Put me in touch with them and have them describe it for me. It should be pretty easy to ID.

bloody sunday
09-10-2013, 11:53 PM
I know everyone around here shivers at the name Paul Taylor so I'll apologize in advance. At work today myself and another forum member saw a suspicious looking kid with a Taylor that was about 4-5cm too big for him.

When a friend of ours confronted the kid he bolted. This led to a 10 minute chase on bike, which involved a lot of slow rolling as he was crafty and hiding in alleys.

Long story short, we have this Paul Taylor. Sooooo.......anyone know a friend who got a Paul Taylor stolen recently in the Bay Area?

Put me in touch with them and have them describe it for me. It should be pretty easy to ID.

Saw your ad on CL about this. Pretty awesome that you did this.

But, why do people shiver when Paul Taylor is mentioned?

Louis
09-10-2013, 11:54 PM
On a forum somewhere a kid is posting a thread about how two bruisers chased him down on bikes and stole his Taylor... ;)

Good luck finding the rightful owner.

jtakeda
09-10-2013, 11:55 PM

Please use the search function I'd rather not have ANOTHER Paul Taylor thread.

Louis
09-10-2013, 11:55 PM

Doesn't always deliver on schedule.

vqdriver
09-11-2013, 12:12 AM
Oh please please tell us you've got a gopro

jtakeda
09-11-2013, 12:23 AM
Oh please please tell us you've got a gopro

I don't and this particular chase would involve 2 Go Pros.

I lost the guy a couple times and phoned my other buddy who was looking for him.

When one of us lost him, the other would find him not too far away.

joosttx
09-11-2013, 12:25 AM
On a forum somewhere a kid is posting a thread about how two bruisers chased him down on bikes and stole his Taylor... ;)

Good luck finding the rightful owner.

I hope our President stays out of this one.

jtakeda
09-11-2013, 12:28 AM
For the record, I know its stolen. The kid admitted it and took off before anyone could call the cops.

soulspinner
09-11-2013, 04:54 AM
Try across the hall also (v salon).

bart998
09-11-2013, 09:06 AM
I can't imagine someone lost their Taylor and didn't report it. Call the police... they will put out a "property under observation" notice to the other police departments in the area to let them know a Taylor bike was found.

Pars
09-11-2013, 09:26 AM
I think platyjo had a thread recently on stolen bike resources in the bay area...

here it is: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=134277

christian
09-11-2013, 09:34 AM
Likely the kid was Paul Taylor.

jtakeda
09-11-2013, 09:37 AM
I think platyjo had a thread recently on stolen bike resources in the bay area...

here it is: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=134277

Already in contact with her. Seems no one reported it to police yet.

firerescuefin
09-11-2013, 09:55 AM

.....and that bike had a delivery date somewhere in 2010. Imagine how happy the new owner will be. He'd probably written that money off by now. :help:

druptight
09-11-2013, 10:11 AM
It's always possible the person is out of town, or had it stolen from a place they don't check on every day and hasn't noticed yet.

tmf
09-11-2013, 10:11 AM
That would explain a lot, and be an interesting twist.

texbike
09-11-2013, 10:13 AM

Ha! Good one.

Jtakeda, it may be worth a call to Bicycle Odyssey in Saulsalito. They've carried Paul Taylor's in the past and may have heard of any that were stolen.

Texbike

weiwentg
09-11-2013, 10:18 AM
I have always fantasized about doing this to a bike thief. Great job!

blessthismess
09-11-2013, 10:42 AM
Update: A friend of ours was able to contact Paul Taylor via Facebook. We are hoping that he may be able to point us in the right direction :)

christian
09-11-2013, 10:43 AM
Oh, this just gets better!

PJN
09-11-2013, 10:44 AM
Update: A friend of ours was able to contact Paul Taylor via Facebook. We are hoping that he may be able to point us in the right direction :)

I thought that dud was MIA?

rice rocket
09-11-2013, 10:45 AM
I thought that dud was MIA?

Only when it involves building bicycles.

charliedid
09-11-2013, 10:50 AM
Shop sticker on the bike?

jtakeda
09-11-2013, 10:56 AM
Bike is locked in our office bike room right now.

I need to go back and check for shop sticker, serial, and a few details that I need to send to plattyjo to help get it back.

R2D2
09-11-2013, 11:08 AM
Bike is locked in our office bike room right now.

I need to go back and check for shop sticker, serial, and a few details that I need to send to plattyjo to help get it back.

Good job guys!
Karma can be a biatch. But in y'alls case I bet it comes back good!

plattyjo
09-11-2013, 12:46 PM
I can't imagine someone lost their Taylor and didn't report it. Call the police... they will put out a "property under observation" notice to the other police departments in the area to let them know a Taylor bike was found.

I've done this already, thx!

JimmyTango
09-11-2013, 04:53 PM
I'm outta town on vacation right now... but I live in Oakland and have a Paul Taylor that *should* be sitting safely inside my living room right now...

I isn't a midnight blue frame with 6700 shifters, 7800 cranks, a32 rims, and a white saddle and bar wrap is it??

*wincing*

christian
09-11-2013, 05:20 PM
Damn, it's getting all Reddit up in here!

plattyjo
09-11-2013, 05:29 PM
I'm outta town on vacation right now... but I live in Oakland and have a Paul Taylor that *should* be sitting safely inside my living room right now...

I isn't a midnight blue frame with 6700 shifters, 7800 cranks, a32 rims, and a white saddle and bar wrap is it??

*wincing*

Enjoy your vacation - this one is black and red!

JimmyTango
09-11-2013, 05:37 PM
good god, phew!!

So sorry to hear that somebody else is missing their bike.

Hope all gets sorted out. Kudos to the OP for lookin' out.

christian
09-11-2013, 05:49 PM
*wincing*

good god, phew!!

Most exciting 44 minutes on this forum today.

#campyuserftw
09-11-2013, 05:51 PM

Post of the day! :)

If we can inject a zombie, vampire, or Rapha into the story. :) It's threads like this that make the internet worth while.

"When a friend of ours confronted the kid he bolted. This led to a 10 minute chase on bike, which involved a lot of slow rolling as he was crafty and hiding in alleys."

Hey OP, you got a nice interval, the bike, and did the right thing. You get the 'TJ Hooker Award', where not even a 911 is a match for the speed of justice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW2Apspbboc

The OP did the right thing, which is amazing when you see things in the news where a person is hit by a bus, or a woman is being threatened, and everybody walks past like nothing is happening.

:beer:

jtakeda
09-11-2013, 05:56 PM
We gotta look out for each other.

It wasnt only me. Blessthismess, another forum member and another friend of ours were all involved.

Me and blessthismess were the ones that caught the kid but our other friend was the one that spotted him at first and confronted him.

Honestly I'm surprised no one has come forward yet. Not a single response to my CL post and I left my number at all the office buildings near where we initially spotted the bike.

toytech
09-11-2013, 06:16 PM
Maybe cross post on bikeforums too?
that is pretty awesome though, it would be super cool to reunite with owner.

plattyjo
09-11-2013, 06:50 PM
Honestly I'm surprised no one has come forward yet. Not a single response to my CL post and I left my number at all the office buildings near where we initially spotted the bike.

As of right now, no one has reported it stolen at SFPD, either. I just added a post onto r/ San Francisco on reddit as well.

Louis
09-11-2013, 06:50 PM
Post of the day! :)

If we can inject a zombie, vampire, or Rapha into the story. :) It's threads like this that make the internet worth while.

I heard somewhere that the kid was wearing those new $520 Assos bibs. You'd think they would have allowed him to be faster and avoid capture by the vigilante mob/peleton chasing him.

#campyuserftw
09-11-2013, 06:56 PM
I heard somewhere that the kid was wearing those new $520 Assos bibs. You'd think they would have allowed him to be faster and avoid capture by the vigilante mob/peleton chasing him.

LOL :)

Does the Taylor have Campy or Shimano? Clinchers or tubulars? If the Taylor was 5cm shorter, and the vigilante had a better fit, with KOPS, white handlebar tape, and $520m Assos bibs, could he have made it?

bike
09-11-2013, 06:58 PM
kid probably stole it from his dads garage to take it for a joy ride and get a soda. probably got beaten when he got home for getting his dads taylor stolen.:banana:

#campyuserftw
09-11-2013, 07:03 PM
kid probably stole it from his dads garage to take it for a joy ride and get a soda. probably got beaten when he got home for getting his dads taylor stolen.:banana:

:banana:

CNN NEWS ALERT

...Russian Ambassador offers to intervene on behalf of the vigilante...

Fishbike
09-11-2013, 08:36 PM
:banana:

CNN NEWS ALERT

...Russian Ambassador offers to intervene on behalf of the vigilante...

Nah, that only works with cheapo Russian Ti bikes. . .

BumbleBeeDave
09-11-2013, 08:47 PM
. . . and located these Go-Pro shots of the chase in progress. jtekeda is apparently the guy on the far right with his tongue hanging out? :rolleyes:

BBD

It wasnt only me. Blessthismess, another forum member and another friend of ours were all involved.

Me and blessthismess were the ones that caught the kid but our other friend was the one that spotted him at first and confronted him.

jtakeda
09-11-2013, 08:58 PM
I wish that was who I was chasing. I would send her letters when shes in jail.

pbarry
09-11-2013, 09:55 PM
jtakeda, awesome moves today. When the going gets tough, you can always tell who your friends are by who turns forward to help, and who turns back seeking cover.

#campyuserftw
09-12-2013, 07:19 PM
Is there any update on:

A. The Taylor bike
B. The vigilante
C. Jimmy Tango's vacation
D. All of the above

jtakeda
09-12-2013, 07:44 PM
No ones come forward to claim it yet.

jtakeda
09-19-2013, 03:45 PM
I haven't heard a peep.

No ones got a friend or friend of a friend who's missing their Taylor?

SpokeValley
09-19-2013, 04:36 PM
Good work, Jun! Hope you find the owner quickly.

#campyuserftw
09-19-2013, 07:13 PM
Okay. Pics or none of this happened. :)

Can we have photos or video of this whole sheebang? Maybe in black and white, with some Rapha-wear, and an on-video debate from the peeps who rescued the Taylor about who makes the best gilet, wool socks, home brew lube, and whether Dave Stoller could beat Marcus Sommers in a battle up Ventoux.

:beer:

pbarry
09-19-2013, 07:51 PM
Maybe the owner figures the insurance payoff is a lot more than what the value of the used bike is... :rolleyes:

VirtualElvis
09-19-2013, 08:01 PM
Not sure how my red and black Taylor made it there from New Orleans!

Maybe the kid stole it from someone who stole it from someone else..

That's why it wasn't reported stolen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

blessthismess
09-26-2013, 10:46 AM
Final update:

Still no leads on the bikes owner. We had hoped to get it back to its home but have hit what seems like a dead end. We will be turning it over to the SFPD tomorrow afternoon where they will safely store it until the rightful owner can be reached.We had wanted to see the owners face when he/she got their long lost bike back but it seems like this is the smartest option right now. Thanks to Plattyjo and everyone for all the help and advice. Please contact Plattyjo, jtakeda, myself or the SFPD if you have any further info or questions. Thanks! :)

rice rocket
09-26-2013, 11:56 AM
Sad story. It'll probably get auctioned at the next police auction for 50 bucks.

rePhil
09-26-2013, 06:32 PM
I wonder if you can claim it if no one comes forward? You can hang on to it and continue the search for the owner, donate it to a new owner.... or???

http://sf-police.org/index.aspx?page=51

jtakeda
09-26-2013, 06:36 PM
Based on the conversation with the officer I think it's being held in a more long term storage area....

rePhil
09-26-2013, 06:47 PM
I would check with the property supervisor. Your intentions are good. You have gone out of your way to find the rightful owner. I would ask for a receipt / Police report and inquire what happens if it goes unclaimed.

Related story. A woman found a gaudy looking ring on a sidewalk in a high end shopping area in town. Stone was huge and she thought there was no way it was real. She walked into a nearby jewelry store where they confirmed it was indeed real. She turned it in to the local PD and when no one claimed it after the set amount of time it was legally hers. The store estimated value way over 25k.

Based on the conversation with the officer I think it's being held in a more long term storage area....

pbarry
09-26-2013, 08:00 PM

Mark the police auctions on your calendar. Great effort from all involved. :hello:

aoe
09-26-2013, 08:05 PM
If it was a white one I recall talking to a guy at Cole Coffee about it several months ago and later saw him again to find out it was stolen. Don't know him as it was just a quick conversation in passing. Perhaps post up a flyer there?

Another note, you and your friend are like Starsky and Hutch. What bike were you on when you hunted him down?

plattyjo
09-27-2013, 01:00 AM
Nice try, Jun! You did your best. And I believe they'll hold the bike for 3 months before donating it or auctioning it off.