PDA

View Full Version : Anyone switch from an Aliante to...

tch
09-10-2013, 08:16 PM
...what? Any ideas/suggestions?
I'm currently on an Aliante and it's OK...but I'm not sure if it's REALLY comfortable but merely the least uncomfortable of what I have tried. Still get sores/abrasions some time (yes, yes, using butt butter and good chamois so don't go there) and am casting about for another possibility for a seat. I'm hoping I can find even better than OK.

Anyone with experience moving from an Aliante to something else? Thoughts?

note: I'm not looking for generic seat suggestions; just this specific issue.

MattTuck
09-10-2013, 08:18 PM
Not to get all medical, but where are the sores/abrasions?

Are you using the versus model with the love channel?

dekindy
09-10-2013, 08:43 PM
I rode the Aliante for several seasons and thousands of miles but wanted a saddle that I could move around on. Did a lot of research and found 2-3 saddles that Aliante riders also liked well. Happened upon a Prologo Scratch Pro at 75% off retail so the price was right. Turned out to be one of the best decisions ever and I have ridden it ever since, several seasons and thousands of miles per season. No longer looking for anything else.

tch
09-10-2013, 08:48 PM
Dekindy, what width Prologo? 143 or 134? Thanx.

MattTuck
09-10-2013, 08:49 PM
I rode the Aliante for several seasons and thousands of miles but wanted a saddle that I could move around on. Did a lot of research and found 2-3 saddles that Aliante riders also liked well. Happened upon a Prologo Scratch Pro at 75% off retail so the price was right. Turned out to be one of the best decisions ever and I have ridden it ever since, several seasons and thousands of miles per season. No longer looking for anything else.

That's funny, I switched from the Prologo scratch to the aliante versus. The prologo chaffed the hell out of my taint.

If you have any aliante versus saddles in your possession, maybe you'd like to trade for my prologo scratch.

More evidence that everyone's ass is unique!

ptourkin
09-11-2013, 12:59 AM
I'm currently on an Aliante and it's OK...but I'm not sure if it's REALLY comfortable but merely the least uncomfortable of what I have tried. Still get sores/abrasions some time (yes, yes, using butt butter and good chamois so don't go there) and am casting about for another possibility for a seat. I'm hoping I can find even better than OK.

Switched from Alliantes to Romin 143s on my road and cross bikes. I have an S-Works, a Pro and an Expert and am very happy with them.

dekindy
09-11-2013, 02:48 AM
Dekindy, what width Prologo? 143 or 134? Thanx.

Good question; I forgot to mention that. Closeout was a 134 so was not aware that it came in a wider width. Absolutely nothing wrong with the 134 but was still in the transition phase and adjusting for the best position when I found a try and buy program that only offered the 143. Tried the 143 and did not like it as well as the 134. Was surprised by this but was glad I was able to remove any doubts.

Invested in a torpedo level, angle locator, and drywall T-square to keep it positioned correctly.

Hank Scorpio
09-11-2013, 06:38 AM
Years on Aliantes switched to Regal E now. Much firmer and allows more movement on the saddle.

cmg
09-11-2013, 08:33 AM
eBay is going to be your friend. If the Aliante nearly fits then look for round top saddles. try a regal or a flite. if you can't stand the aliante then try a spec troupe, prologo, slk or a a flat top saddle.

FlashUNC
09-11-2013, 08:37 AM
FWIW, Fizik is coming with a new road model, the Volta. The shape is similar to older Regals and Flites with a particularly round profile.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/09/09/eb13-fizik-unveils-new-triathlon-mountain-bike-saddles-new-road-tri-mtb-shoes-and-more/

christian
09-11-2013, 08:45 AM
I was on Aliantes for a brief dalliance before returning to my true love - the perforated Regal and new RegalE.

Aliantes "fit" well, but tended to chafe.

christian
09-11-2013, 08:46 AM
FWIW, Fizik is coming with a new road model, the Volta. The shape is similar to older Regals and Flites with a particularly round profile.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/09/09/eb13-fizik-unveils-new-triathlon-mountain-bike-saddles-new-road-tri-mtb-shoes-and-more/

Regal has a flattish rear. The transversely curved SSM saddle is the Rolls.

FlashUNC
09-11-2013, 08:47 AM
Regal has a flattish rear. The transversely curved SSM saddle is the Rolls.

D'oh. Knew I was getting something mixed up.

buldogge
09-11-2013, 08:57 AM
If you've got a clean late model Aliante, I've got a 143 Romin Expert we can trade. Mine is black/ti rails, one very small scuff on the rear right (typical wall rest), logo loss on rails otherwise super clean...just not for me.

-Mark in St. Louis

Idris Icabod
09-11-2013, 01:22 PM
I was on Aliante saddles for many years until suddenly they started causing numbness, tried a new Aliante thinking it was just worn but the new one did the same. I borrowed several saddles from buddies and opted for a Selle Italia SLR flow, have them on all my bikes now. I will say that the first few times I rode the SLR it felt like sitting on concrete, way too hard was my initial impression but I gave it a longer chance on the advice of a friend.

67-59
09-11-2013, 01:40 PM
I switched from the Aliante to the Prologo Nago Evo (141 mm) a year or so ago. Haven't used chamois creme in about a year....

JonB
09-11-2013, 01:44 PM
from an Aliante to a Specialized Romin Pro 143. Its supremely comfortable for me.

BTW, I tried a Specialized Toupe 143 and hated it.

Lionel
09-11-2013, 01:46 PM
I was on Aliante saddles for many years until suddenly they started causing numbness, tried a new Aliante thinking it was just worn but the new one did the same. I borrowed several saddles from buddies and opted for a Selle Italia SLR flow, have them on all my bikes now. I will say that the first few times I rode the SLR it felt like sitting on concrete, way too hard was my initial impression but I gave it a longer chance on the advice of a friend.

Hum, interesting. I am sort of going thru the same thing. I have 8 Aliante now that served me really well for the last 10 years but somehow they are getting a bit uncomfortable...

gary_a_gooner
09-11-2013, 02:51 PM
Aliante to Arione. They both work well for me. I just switched cause my Aliante started cutting into my shorts...

WickedWheels
09-11-2013, 07:53 PM
Regal. All is happy now.

Louis
09-11-2013, 08:11 PM
I was on Aliantes for a brief dalliance before returning to my true love - the perforated Regal and new RegalE.

Christian, I have two questions for you:

1) How does the "regular" Regal compare to the perforated?

2) How does the RegalE compare to the old-style Regal?

Over the last five years or so I've settled on "regular" Regal, but I'm always willing to try something new.

Thanks

#campyuserftw
09-11-2013, 08:20 PM
Maybe consider the Fizik Antares? It's in between an Aliante and Arione...

tiretrax
09-11-2013, 10:33 PM
I went from an Arione to an Aliante and am happy. I prefer the carbon body to the plastic base on rides over 40 miles. That might give you relief, as would a VS model. For those that switched to Specialized saddles, I wonder if you like it because of the cutout. So, the VS might work for you - I have one with one ride on it, if you want to try it.

scrubadub
09-11-2013, 11:02 PM
Prologo Nago Evo Ti or TRs.

ptourkin
09-12-2013, 01:07 AM
I went from an Arione to an Aliante and am happy. I prefer the carbon body to the plastic base on rides over 40 miles. That might give you relief, as would a VS model. For those that switched to Specialized saddles, I wonder if you like it because of the cutout. So, the VS might work for you - I have one with one ride on it, if you want to try it.

I was using an Alliante VS - I do prefer the cutout on the Romin to the channel on the VS. I tried the Kurve Bull which allegedly has a channel of softer padding down the center as well and it didn't work for me.

oldpotatoe
09-12-2013, 06:55 AM

Got a Fizik test center nearby? A shop that has Fizik and maybe other, test saddles?

Have ya had a really good bike fit?

christian
09-12-2013, 08:01 AM
Christian, I have two questions for you:

1) How does the "regular" Regal compare to the perforated?

2) How does the RegalE compare to the old-style Regal?

Over the last five years or so I've settled on "regular" Regal, but I'm always willing to try something new.

Thanks

1) They seem identical to me in practice. Blindfolded, I could not tell a difference. There are tiny variances across the saddles, though. (I have 7 Regals.) My very favorite one is a perf'ed black one that is presently on loan to my sis-in-law. It just seems a to have a tiny bit more shell flex than the others. It's also the only one with >10,000 miles on it. I do have one white Regal Racing Team (big logo) model that seems stiffer and less comfortable than the others - I'd say mid-2000s production. That's the one I have on my Zanc cx bike. My other (black) Racing Team models are identical in comfort to plain Regals.

2) The RegalE might be a tiny, tiny bit flatter laterally across the back, or I might be imagining things. The carbon shell feels a bit stiffer than the Regal. Of the 7 Regals I have, the RegalE is my third favorite. If you like the Regal, I think you'll like the RegalE.

(1) Perfed Black Regal Girardi (on loan)
(2) Black Regal Racing Team (on mtb)
(3) Black Regale (on Colnago)
(4) Perfed Black Regal new model (on Allez)
(5) Perfed White Regal new model (was on Allez)
(6) White Regal Racing Team (on cx bike)
(Not rated) White, Ti-Railed WC Stripes Regal Racing Team (on hold for WC Mapei C40 or Cipollini S-Works E5)

(BTW, the above list is sort of a joke. These saddles are all basically identical.)

Louis
09-12-2013, 04:16 PM
^^^^ Thanks for the detailed reply. That motivates me to try out the RegalE I got a while ago.

rice rocket
09-12-2013, 04:21 PM
I was on Aliante saddles for many years until suddenly they started causing numbness, tried a new Aliante thinking it was just worn but the new one did the same.

This was my experience as well. The soft padding meant you sunk too far into the saddle and cut off circulation. I'm on a Romin 143 now.

Some pros still ride Aliantes though, and they spend way more time in the saddle than I ever will...so it works for some still.

Climb01742
09-12-2013, 05:28 PM
Like so many of you, I rode an Aliante for years then it became very uncomfortable. I found narrower saddles really helped, such as SLRs and Cobb saddles.

wasfast
09-12-2013, 06:07 PM
If you found the Aliante not working after 2-3 years, it's been my experience that the base and foam under the covering get soft. I use white covered saddles and the white is worn off 40% of the saddle in that amount of time. It's surprising when you get a new one that it feels so different than the used one.