PDA

View Full Version : $519 bib shorts, anyone? . . .

BumbleBeeDave
09-10-2013, 03:14 PM
New Assos top of the line go for that. Ouch.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/09/bikes-and-tech/fancy-a-kuku-penthouse-assos-releases-new-s7-shorts-line_302206

BBD

christian
09-10-2013, 03:17 PM
I've got 4 pair on order. Will let you know once they're in stock at Signature.

:cool:

norcalbiker
09-10-2013, 03:23 PM
IM IN!!!!!!!

Where do I order? :eek:

gavingould
09-10-2013, 03:26 PM
none for me thanks... haven't won the lotto yet.

tiretrax
09-10-2013, 03:36 PM
That's for the model with the "kuku penthouse", which cradles your privates. For that money, it should and tell you what a fast rider you are.

EDS
09-10-2013, 03:37 PM

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/09/bikes-and-tech/fancy-a-kuku-penthouse-assos-releases-new-s7-shorts-line_302206

BBD

Wow.

tch
09-10-2013, 03:42 PM
That's for the model with the "kuku penthouse", which cradles your privates. For that money, it should and tell you what a fast rider you are.

For that money, they should ride for you.

CNY rider
09-10-2013, 03:51 PM
Fortunately the neo pro sounds like the right model for me.
A bargain at only $199.

pitcrew
09-10-2013, 03:57 PM
Leaves the market wide open for $499 competitors that will be a "bargain" compared to these..... In Assos' defense, I'm sure people will buy them so I really don't knock them

biker72
09-10-2013, 03:59 PM
These shorts would go well with the $500 Sidi Wire shoes....:p

Bradford
09-10-2013, 04:01 PM

For that money, you should get a happy ending.

tiretrax
09-10-2013, 04:05 PM
For that money, you should get a happy ending.

I was trying to keep this place family friendly and didn't riff about the kuku penthouse - that was the place I was always seeking as a single man. ;)

rando
09-10-2013, 04:20 PM

I bet there are shoes that go for more?

Not sure how I feel about the direct replacement for the Uno_S5. Just trashed a reasonably new pair so I'm going to see if they offer upgrade replacement with the S7.

If so my KuKu will get a penthouse and I'll let you know how the design theories and practical real world applications mesh between the Wire and T.campionissimo

fiamme red
09-10-2013, 04:28 PM
Assos marketing has become a joke. :p

http://www.assos.com/en/69/manga-yio.aspx

MANGA-YIO

Perfect World

In the real world, there are 50 million cyclists, but only a very few can join Manga.Yio. Qualify yourself & join!

In the course of a man's life (lady's too), he (she) reaches various levels and hopefully passes onto the next. The higher the level, the more difficult it gets to move up:

Level 0 birth
Level 1 party, party
Level 2 sex
Level 3 show time
Level 4 knowledge

Then, the privileged ones, move on to
Level 5 wisdom

For normal people, that is the top level of life. But, a selected few cyclists go on and explore the ultimate dimension of inner-balance:

Level.13

The understanding that a "little thing" called riding your bicycle is the key to personal fulfilment and well-being!

■Living a luxury life does not require millions.
■It's not about lifestyle, it's about health status.
■Details don't matter anymore.
■A world ruled by concentrated, pure emotions.
■An environment reduced to the essence.
■Communication without talking.
■No interferences, no hold ups; everything tuned to your personal frequency.
■And whatever you do, it just feels perfect.
Manga.Yio – where YOU determine the pace of the ride. Fit the profile & join.

ASSOS welcomes you!Fat Cyclist had a funny post about this:

http://www.fatcyclist.com/2013/03/05/level-13-an-open-letter-to-assos/

tch
09-10-2013, 04:48 PM
Assos marketing has become a joke. :p

http://www.assos.com/en/69/manga-yio.aspx
]

What the F**K!?!?!?!?!?

norcalbiker
09-10-2013, 04:54 PM
"In Assos' defense, I'm sure people will buy them"

That's the sad part.

Louis
09-10-2013, 04:56 PM
The one thing I hate about this sort of thing is that (I think) it allows manufacturers to increase the prices on the lower-end shorts that I tend to buy. They figure, "Well hey, if some guys out there are willing to pay $$$$ for shorts, then we ought to be able to have Louis pay 1.5 x $$ for his shorts."

Lovetoclimb
09-10-2013, 04:58 PM
Will the Rapha hater wagon switch tracks and become the Assos hater wagon!? Seriously the Rapha Pro Team Bib Shorts are stupid expensive at $250, but what can be done to justify a 100% price increase!? That said, a "kuku penthouse" does sounds pretty neat . . .

saab2000
09-10-2013, 05:04 PM

All my expensive Sidi shoes are still like new after years of use. I don't wish to ride behind most riders after their shorts are years old.... my Sidis were a relative bargain.

firerescuefin
09-10-2013, 05:11 PM
All my expensive Sidi shoes are still like new after years of use. I don't wish to ride behind most riders after their shorts are years old.... my Sidis were a relative bargain.

After owning 3 pairs of Ergos...my next shoe will be wires...apples and oranges.

d_douglas
09-10-2013, 05:17 PM
That's 'nuts'.

Never ever would I buy these. It goes against my principles.

avalonracing
09-10-2013, 05:18 PM
Will the Rapha hater wagon switch tracks and become the Assos hater wagon!?

No.
Unless Assos starts all that "epic" lifestyle crap.
Selling a product that is way over-priced is one thing but selling all that epic crap... We take the gloves off .

EA120711
09-10-2013, 05:18 PM

BBD

And I thought that Rapha was on the expensive side..

fiamme red
09-10-2013, 05:22 PM
No.
Unless Assos starts all that "epic" lifestyle crap.
Selling a product that is way over-priced is one thing but selling all that epic crap... We take the gloves off .And those gloves aren't Rapha's $190 Leather Town Gloves or $160 Grand Tour Gloves lovingly made by skilled Chinese craftsmen. ;)

saab2000
09-10-2013, 05:50 PM
After owning 3 pairs of Ergos...my next shoe will be wires...apples and oranges.

Agreed. 100% true. Bibs are almost disposable. Shoes are a long term investment. Apples and oranges would be correct.

avalonracing
09-10-2013, 05:51 PM
And those gloves aren't Rapha's $190 Leather Town Gloves or $160 Grand Tour Gloves lovingly made by skilled Chinese craftsmen. ;)

For $190 they may be made Out Of skilled Chinese craftsmen.

54ny77
09-10-2013, 06:18 PM
F.nutso

Len J
09-10-2013, 06:24 PM
How much are they worth if they last 2 to 2.5x as long?

That's been my experience w the Assos I own

Len

FlashUNC
09-10-2013, 06:25 PM
Their Uno shorts are second only to Rapha, according to my gooch.

Seems like some cool stuff for the Uno replacement.

The price is what it is. My two year old pair of Unos still look brand new though, and I haven't babied them by any stretch...

mike p
09-10-2013, 06:29 PM
I'm holding out for something a little more expensive.

Mike

BumbleBeeDave
09-10-2013, 06:34 PM
Their Uno shorts are second only to Rapha, according to my gooch.

Seems like some cool stuff for the Uno replacement.

The price is what it is. My two year old pair of Unos still look brand new though, and I haven't babied them by any stretch...

. . . Specialized bibs still look brand new, and they only cost me $150.

Well, actually they cost me nothing, since they were partial payment for leading spin classes at the LBS. But they WOULD have cost me $150 if I had bought them, they DO still look brand new, and it still illustrates my point. Assos and Rapha are in a dead heat for most pretentious in my book. :rolleyes:

BBD

Mr. Squirrel
09-10-2013, 06:46 PM
they do look like a nice place for me to place my nuts. nuk nuk nuk!

mr. squirrel

bloody sunday
09-10-2013, 06:49 PM
At least Rapha makes great videos. I'll give them that.

But, the last pair of bibs from Rapha fit me horribly. I returned them to CC to then find out that they don't carry them anymore...

FlashUNC
09-10-2013, 07:00 PM

Well, actually they cost me nothing, since they were partial payment for leading spin classes at the LBS. But they WOULD have cost me $150 if I had bought them, they DO still look brand new, and it still illustrates my point. Assos and Rapha are in a dead heat for most pretentious in my book. :rolleyes:

BBD

Plenty of other companies make great stuff. It ain't rocket science. If folks don't like it, don't buy it. If you do, buy it and ride it until the threads fall out.

pitcrew
09-10-2013, 07:00 PM
A number of years ago, I used to work in the high end/pro road shop here in town. The shop was located in a shopping center along with a couple of other stores. For several years, the store right next to the bike shop was a store that sold doll houses (i.e. to-scale, custom, doll houses. Electricity and all...)

Whenever I had someone come in looking around and say...."$5K....for a BIKE??? I'd say that they could go next door and spend $5k on a doll house if they wanted.

I learned long ago that no matter what floats your boat, cycling, fishing, doll house collecting, etc you can spend just about whatever you want to on it.

Len J
09-10-2013, 07:25 PM

BBD

How many years/miles on those specialized?

verticaldoug
09-10-2013, 07:31 PM
the only rational explanation for the kuku penthouse and lavender chamois is Cippolini is now head designer at Assos. Have they added flesh color option for the bibs yet?

eippo1
09-10-2013, 07:35 PM
The one thing I hate about this sort of thing is that (I think) it allows manufacturers to increase the prices on the lower-end shorts that I tend to buy. They figure, "Well hey, if some guys out there are willing to pay $$$$ for shorts, then we ought to be able to have Louis pay 1.5 x $$ for his shorts."

Louis, we should talk, I have some things to sell you. 😉

Sent from my PM23300 using Tapatalk

Bkat
09-10-2013, 07:44 PM
I like the quality of Assos. I really do. Multiple pairs of bibs and knickers and nary an issue. But they lose me with the Kuku thing. Bad translation into English? Maybe. Or just cringe-worthy marketing?

rphetteplace
09-10-2013, 07:45 PM
A number of years ago, I used to work in the high end/pro road shop here in town. The shop was located in a shopping center along with a couple of other stores. For several years, the store right next to the bike shop was a store that sold doll houses (i.e. to-scale, custom, doll houses. Electricity and all...)

Whenever I had someone come in looking around and say...."$5K....for a BIKE??? I'd say that they could go next door and spend $5k on a doll house if they wanted.

I learned long ago that no matter what floats your boat, cycling, fishing, doll house collecting, etc you can spend just about whatever you want to on it.

My mom has about $35K in her doll house. She always wanted one as a kid and never got one. It's been her hobby for many years now.

choke
09-10-2013, 08:21 PM
I have to say that I don't understand why so many people seem to love Assos stuff. I've owned a few items from them over the years and IMO the quality is no better than even middle of the line Castelli or Giordana.

I absolutely hated the only Assos bibs I owned. Admittedly that was quite a few years ago but they were so bad that I'll never take a chance on another set of their bibs. Gloves, jerseys, etc. are OK but again IMO nothing outstanding.

CDM
09-10-2013, 08:41 PM
I only wear their previous bibs and an 851 jacket but in the truest sense they have jumped the shark!

rando
09-10-2013, 09:03 PM
Burberry followed their guiding principles to make rock climbing clothing one year. I could see catwalk worthy lycra fitting some design house's ambitions.

I think I speak for the masses in saying that a sheer DuDu skylight is one thing Assos thankfully doesn't build into their shorts.

pbarry
09-10-2013, 09:17 PM
Hmmm, four pairs of shorts or a new frame? :eek:

Louis
09-10-2013, 09:21 PM
Louis, we should talk, I have some things to sell you. 😉

PM sent. :)

Louis
09-10-2013, 09:27 PM
Here's what mystifies me: how much better can these shorts possibly be, compared to the various other models I wear?

Let's assume for the sake of argument that these are awesome shorts. The best, most comfortable shorts ever made. If buying these shorts were the only way for me to be able to ride more than 2 hours without excruciating pain, then maybe I would buy them. However, there are at least 20 other types of shorts out there for less than $100 a pair that for me are at least 98% as good as these Assos shorts. That last 2% (assuming it even exists) is just not worth it to me.

ckamp
09-10-2013, 09:32 PM
is just not worth it to me.

Agree 100%, biggest waste of money. $500+ in a persons cycling budget can be spent more wisely.

Len J
09-10-2013, 09:38 PM
Does any one else see the irony of this conversation about overpriced bibs because others do the same thing at a lower price on a site where several thousand dollar bikes are easily justified?

I've always found Assos bibs at $300/pair to be cost effective because, for me, they fit great, and last multiple times as long as anything else I've tried. In addition, I figure I only touch the bike in a few spots nd won't skimp on those contact points.

Obviously YMMV.

Len

FlashUNC
09-10-2013, 09:43 PM
Here's what mystifies me: how much better can these shorts possibly be, compared to the various other models I wear?

Let's assume for the sake of argument that these are awesome shorts. The best, most comfortable shorts ever made. If buying these shorts were the only way for me to be able to ride more than 2 hours without excruciating pain, then maybe I would buy them. However, there are at least 20 other types of shorts out there for less than $100 a pair that for me are at least 98% as good as these Assos shorts. That last 2% (assuming it even exists) is just not worth it to me.

Have you ever tried Assos shorts?

Genuinely curious. I've certainly met folks who they just don't work for -- body shape, sit bone position, etc etc -- but to say there are some generic Performance bib shorts that get you 98% of the comfort and durability is a little...optimistic...imo.

firerescuefin
09-10-2013, 09:46 PM
Does any one else see the irony of this conversation about overpriced bibs because others do the same thing at a lower price on a site where several thousand dollar bikes are easily justified?

I've always found Assos bibs at $300/pair to be cost effective because, for me, they fit great, and last multiple times as long as anything else I've tried. In addition, I figure I only touch the bike in a few spots nd won't skimp on those contact points.

Obviously YMMV.

Len

Yes Len...in the land of 5000 frame and forks and 4000 wheel sets, we're being little bitches about expensive bibs. :help:

Louis
09-10-2013, 10:02 PM
Have you ever tried Assos shorts?

but to say there are some generic Performance bib shorts that get you 98% of the comfort and durability is a little...optimistic...imo.

1) No, and I don't need to, to know that I don't need them.

2) I'm not talking about Performance shorts. PI, Voler, and a number of other places have plenty of very good options at at fraction of the Assos price.

downtube
09-10-2013, 10:12 PM
In a world of $6,000 frames, $5,000 wheels and $4,000 groupo's I guess it makes sense.....just not at my house.
chuck

Louis
09-10-2013, 10:17 PM
In a world of $6,000 frames, $5,000 wheels and $4,000 groupo's I guess it makes sense....

There can't be too many people living in that world. I'm sure there are some, but not many.

akelman
09-10-2013, 10:25 PM
I find the ongoing cost creep within the sport pretty disheartening, honestly, whether we're talking about bibs, bits, wheels, or frames. And yes, I say this even though I ride very expensive frames equipped with very expensive groups and very expensive wheels while wearing very expensive bibs and jerseys.

Having said all of that, I don't care at all what other people buy. Their money, their choices.

hockeybike
09-10-2013, 10:36 PM
I for one do care about what other people buy. Buy more new things, put more used things on the classifieds for the rest of us cheapskates. Win win!

Just don't sell used bibs. That sounds like lose lose.

wooly
09-10-2013, 10:41 PM
I hear the chamois is like Kate Beckinsale's soft hands. ��

firerescuefin
09-10-2013, 10:42 PM
In a world of $6,000 frames, $5,000 wheels and $4,000 groupo's I guess it makes sense.....just not at my house.
chuck

It's not at my house either...but it's not the seventh sign of the apocalypse...and I bet they're amazing. :cool:

professerr
09-10-2013, 11:04 PM

I just watched a billionaire race a $100 million toy in front a fleet of super-yachts spread across the San Francisco bay. It seems unreal when you can keep a child alive for a dollar a day with no more trouble than a phone call.

$519 shorts, well, that’s not even in the same universe of unreal. But if you buy the Specialized ones, with the money you save you can sponsor a child for a year and still have enough left over to take your wife out to dinner.

It is simple -- don’t overthink it. You’ll feel good.

https://sponsor.savethechildren.org/page.aspx?pid=225

Rueda Tropical
09-10-2013, 11:18 PM
Kuku penthouse? I think they have Dieter doing their marketing now.

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwovtgO86x1r7z8xlo1_400.jpg

norcalbiker
09-10-2013, 11:49 PM
I hear the chamois is like Kate Beckinsale's soft hands. ��

Okay buddy you just crossed the line there. She happens to be one of my favorite. Don't talk about her soft hands.

pdmtong
09-10-2013, 11:53 PM

the wires....even better than the ergo
Whether worth it only you can make that call since we all have different wallets

oldpotatoe
09-11-2013, 07:27 AM

BBD

How much are these?

http://lightweight.info/

How about this

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/dollar-10000-bikes-whats-the-point

and this

http://www.artscyclery.com/Bont_Vaypor_Plus_Shoes_White/descpage-BOVPSW.html?gclid=CP-tr8-rw7kCFaZaMgodTjsA7g

Assos bibs are expensive, like lots of other things people get weak-kneed about on this and other forums...

FlashUNC
09-11-2013, 07:40 AM

2) I'm not talking about Performance shorts. PI, Voler, and a number of other places have plenty of very good options at at fraction of the Assos price.

Been down a lot of those roads too, and the Assos shorts I've got are superior in every way. And these are just their $199 model. Not even the fancy stuff.

I tend to err towards not knocking it till I've tried it, but that's just me.

oldpotatoe
09-11-2013, 07:44 AM
Been down a lot of those roads too, and the Assos shorts I've got are superior in every way. And these are just their $199 model. Not even the fancy stuff.

I tend to err towards not knocking it till I've tried it, but that's just me.

I think you shouldn't skimp on the places where ya touch the bike..bibs, gloves, shoes....

FlashUNC
09-11-2013, 07:45 AM
I think you shouldn't skimp on the places where ya touch the bike..bibs, gloves, shoes....

That's my philosophy. Maybe my gooch has expensive tastes.

happycampyer
09-11-2013, 08:08 AM
That's my philosophy. Maybe my gooch has expensive tastes.iow, a Gucci gooch... Some give their KuKus a penthouse, others, a hustler will do...

texbike
09-11-2013, 08:41 AM
I doubt that they will sell many of these $519 bib shorts, but what having them does accomplish is creating a bit of marketing buzz about the company and also creating a solid price anchor that makes the rest of their line seem affordable and competitive in the market.

Texbike

Grant McLean
09-11-2013, 08:59 AM
I doubt that they will sell many of these $519 bib shorts

Assos knows their market and they're on a roll, big time.
What I doubt is that they went about revamping their bib line without
the feedback from their premiere accounts who sell this stuff.

I think they'll sell lots of these shorts, like everything else they make,
in key markets like Japan, Switzerland, Germany, and other places where
cycling culture and fashion is more sophisticated than just the sandals and
t-shirts crowd. It's a big world.

That said, as someone whose Assos purchases are well passed the half-way
mark to 5 figures, i've also found that it isn't exactly necessary to pay suggested
retail in the real world. 30 or 40% off, Assos is great value.

-g

Bkat
09-11-2013, 09:07 AM
There seems to be two separate questions floating here. A) Is Assos worth the extra coin? B) Is the Assos marketing strategy annoying?

Personally, I have to say yes on both counts. I doubt I'd buy a pair of $519 bibs but look at it this way. Think of all the money you save if they're 20% off! ;)

firerescuefin
09-11-2013, 09:09 AM
and other places where
t-shirts crowd. -g

Grant, you always make time for a good barb.

"Stay classy San Diego"

I wear Birkenstocks, so I'll just assume I'm grouped with another demographic :)

dbrk
09-11-2013, 09:12 AM
As a pal of mine puts it, "you can get better but you can't pay more." It is a big world and some folks not only have the dime, they have the preference. Hell, I'd drive an Aston Martin if I could afford it. In my Assos shorts.

Grant McLean
09-11-2013, 09:22 AM
Grant, you always make time for a good barb.

"Stay classy San Diego"

I wear Birkenstocks, so I'll just assume I'm grouped with another demographic :)

I do my best :banana:

No doubt, those disparaging premium priced clothing brands
do so without an ounce of disdain for that demographic,
please excuse the sarcasm.

-g

AngryScientist
09-11-2013, 09:24 AM

but do you wear them with socks? that has some pretty major implications IMO.

texbike
09-11-2013, 09:46 AM

mark to 5 figures, i've also found that it isn't exactly necessary to pay suggested

-g

My thought is that Assos saw what Rapha was doing and that they were being eclipsed as the "premium" brand in the space and decided that they needed to do something about it. They revamped their line, pricing, and marketing to combat the headway that Rapha has made against them.

Feedback from premier accounts? Maybe. Maybe not. Since you're approaching 5 figure Assos sales, are you considered a "premier" account? Did their R&D group call you to ask for your input?

As you point out, it's rare that full retail is paid for most products. However, the list price is what's catching the attention. Again, I see this as a marketing tactic more than anything else to drive traffic to their website to see the "golden" bibs and to raise awareness of the brand.

By the way, I'm not disparaging the brand (or those that buy it). I really like their gear and have one of their jackets, a pair of shorts, and a couple of jerseys. All good stuff.

Oh, and speaking of seemingly disparaging comments - Yes, I do fit into the t-shirt and sandals (actually flip-flops) demographic. I do live in Austin after all. It's kinda the official uniform in the Summer here..

Texbike

avalonracing
09-11-2013, 09:48 AM
As you point out, it's rare that full retail is paid for most products.

Unless you are buying used Rapha bibs on this forum ;)

Grant McLean
09-11-2013, 09:54 AM
Feedback from premier accounts? Maybe. Maybe not. Since you're approaching 5 figure Assos sales, are you considered a "premier" account? Did their R&D group call you to ask for your input?

That's my personal purchases, not sales.

I'd have to check some dealer price sheets for the levels,
but an Assos premium dealer likely sells a hundred grand
in product a year, i'm sure some of the Assos stores are
doing a few million in sales, so no, they didn't call me, but
if they're reading, I could use some more white hangers ;)

-g

jpw
09-11-2013, 10:01 AM
i object to the color. Purple?

$519? accommodation, meals, and shuttle buses cost money.

"Editor’s Note: Assos’ launch event coincided with the annual Eurobike tradeshow in Germany. The company provided two nights’ accommodation and meals, as well as a shuttle from Friedrichshaffen, Germany, to Lugano, Switzerland, for attending members of the media. VeloNews covered all other expenses."

Lionel
09-11-2013, 10:48 AM

You can find them expensive (they are), you have not tried them so you just have no idea of what you are talking about.

christian
09-11-2013, 10:51 AM
you have not tried them so you just have no idea of what you are talking about.Oh, come on Lionel, it's not that radical. I have a pair of the 607 thermo shorts and a pair of Logo Unos. For rides of <3 hours, I can't really tell any substantive difference in comfort between those and my Castellis/Capos/Voler Elites. They're all fine. Assos detailing is better.

Lionel
09-11-2013, 10:56 AM
Oh, come on Lionel, it's not that radical. I have a pair of the 607 thermo shorts and a pair of Logo Unos. For rides of <3 hours, I can't really tell any substantive difference in comfort between those and my Castellis/Capos/Voler Elites. They're all fine. Assos detailing is better.

I would not know I never ride less than 3h :)

All kidding aside I ride 90% of the time in my Assos bibs and when I switch over to something else (I have plenty of other Castelli, Giordanna, Voler, etc...) this is when I realize that I really like my Assos bibs and that they actually do make a difference.

Looking forward to trying to the new ones, as I am not sure how one can improve on the FI.13.

fiamme red
09-11-2013, 11:11 AM
I currently own one pair of Assos shorts (which I got on a deep discount) and quite a few pairs of $60 Voler shorts. I can't say that the Assos shorts are more comfortable than the Voler shorts. Maybe they will last longer, I don't know. But they're definitely not three or more times the value.

The choice of a saddle is far more important to me than the choice of shorts. It doesn't matter to me on a 600km brevet whether I'm wearing Assos or Voler, but it does matter whether I'm sitting on a Berthoud (good for a 1200km brevet) or Aliante (300km at most).

Louis
09-11-2013, 01:32 PM
you have not tried them so you just have no idea of what you are talking about.

I've never driven a Ferrari, but that doesn't prevent me from knowing that for my needs a '97 Acura or a '14 Subaru is good enough.

Do you personally have to try everything out there before knowing that you don't need it? I didn't think so.

Lionel
09-11-2013, 01:40 PM
I've never driven a Ferrari, but that doesn't prevent me from knowing that for my needs a '97 Acura or a '14 Subaru is good enough.

Do you personally have to try everything out there before knowing that you don't need it? I didn't think so.

No, but please don't make any statements on them, like they are 2% better than Voler, this is just not credible. This would be like comparing a Ferrari to a Subaru :)

Louis
09-11-2013, 01:45 PM
This would be like comparing a Ferrari to a Subaru :)

I know, I know, that's really unfair to the Subie.

christian
09-11-2013, 03:13 PM
This would be like comparing a Ferrari to a Subaru :)Having driven a 458 and a STi, I think it could be summarized as "Mass centrification allows more rapid turn in on the Ferrari. Except in snow."

verticaldoug
09-11-2013, 05:17 PM
You know in the USA, every so often you see someone wearing lycra (often at a Walmart) that you really wish you could unsee it. The horror is etched in visual memory.

I g'tee that the kuka pentahouse is like a frame for the family jewels and some ····· does not need to be framed and seen in lycra.

Lionel, you're french, you've been to the beach on St Tropez. Sometimes it is nice, sometimes you want to close your eyes.

azrider
09-11-2013, 05:39 PM

Ha ha....thanks for the flashback. Wore the crap out of my Birks back in college.......i had the closed toe clogs though......good times

+1 for Assos....i've never been disappointed with their product.

Drmojo
09-11-2013, 06:54 PM
As my nether parts get harder, any shorts will do
Taint no thang

BumbleBeeDave
09-11-2013, 08:32 PM
You know in the USA, every so often you see someone wearing lycra (often at a Walmart) that you really wish you could unsee it. The horror is etched in visual memory.

I g'tee that the kuka pentahouse is like a frame for the family jewels and some ····· does not need to be framed and seen in lycra.

Lionel, you're french, you've been to the beach on St Tropez. Sometimes it is nice, sometimes you want to close your eyes.

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/photos/

BBD

firerescuefin
09-11-2013, 08:51 PM
Ha ha....thanks for the flashback. Wore the crap out of my Birks back in college.......i had the closed toe clogs though......good times

+1 for Assos....i've never been disappointed with their product.

Difference between you and I....is that you've moved on from college:help:

cfox
09-11-2013, 08:52 PM

-g

oh, please. Label slavery is the antithesis of sophistication. And don't worry, they'll sell plenty to us bumbling rubes down here in the US

verticaldoug
09-12-2013, 04:27 AM
If someone can find annual sales figures for Assos, I'd be curious. Rapha was 13mm pounds in 2011 and still growing 30% yoy. With the team sky link this year, I'd think Rapha is bigger than Assos. If Assos does more than 15mm in Annual sales, I'd be surprised.

I pulled up the swiss registry for Assos and it doesn't really tell me anything we don't already know. The company employs 35 people.

bloody sunday
09-12-2013, 03:56 PM
If someone can find annual sales figures for Assos, I'd be curious. Rapha was 13mm pounds in 2011 and still growing 30% yoy. With the team sky link this year, I'd think Rapha is bigger than Assos. If Assos does more than 15mm in Annual sales, I'd be surprised.

I pulled up the swiss registry for Assos and it doesn't really tell me anything we don't already know. The company employs 35 people.

I don't think they (assos) make anywhere close to that either.

dogdriver
09-12-2013, 04:13 PM
This cracks me up. Over the years, I've told riding newbies that they should probably buy bike shorts that retail for at least $100 or so (not that they can't get them discounted on sale or at an outlet) to get the good chamois,etc. Looks like I was WAY low.

Louis
09-12-2013, 04:19 PM
The company employs 35 people.

Wow - that's tiny. I would have guessed a lot more than that, but then again, I don't know how much of their stuff is really made in-house.

Grant McLean
09-12-2013, 05:15 PM

Dunno sales. they have maybe 1,000 dealers listed in 40 countries on their website,
$15 mil @ $15k average in sales per account?

Major market dealers: about 100 in Switzerland, 175 in Japan, 200 in Germany,
200 in the USA, 50 in the UK, 50 in Canada, 50 in Belgium, 20 in Taiwan.

The question is how much biz does a stand alone pro-shop have to do
in sales to stay open in Europe or Japan? They have a number of new pro
shops, plus some significant web dealers in the US, Great Britain, and
Germany.

In regards to number of employees, the sales force are likely classed as
agents, and not employees, and the factories aren't likely included in the
number. Some marketing, production managers, designers, and financial
people in the head office?

-g

OperaLover
09-12-2013, 06:09 PM
Can't wait for ASSOS to blow out the S5 stuff at "bargain" prices!

verticaldoug
09-12-2013, 06:20 PM
Dunno sales. they have maybe 1,000 dealers listed in 40 countries on their website,
$15 mil @ $15k average in sales per account?

Major market dealers: about 100 in Switzerland, 175 in Japan, 200 in Germany,
200 in the USA, 50 in the UK, 50 in Canada, 50 in Belgium, 20 in Taiwan.

The question is how much biz does a stand alone pro-shop have to do
in sales to stay open in Europe or Japan? They have a number of new pro
shops, plus some significant web dealers in the US, Great Britain, and
Germany.

In regards to number of employees, the sales force are likely classed as
agents, and not employees, and the factories aren't likely included in the
number. Some marketing, production managers, designers, and financial
people in the head office?

-g

After you get beyond a few big online retailers, CC, Primera, ColoradoCyclist and the affluent Bric&Mortar stores, the median is probably much much lower as most stores are probably only carrying a few jerseys, a few bibs and chamois cream. (I tend to think most only have chamois cream in stock, think REI)

I travel a bit and even in stores like Bos Bikes in Geneva, Condor Cycles in London, Narushima Friend in Tokyo, don't seem to have a lot of stock.

15 may be low, but I'd be truly shocked if it was above 50.

(If you, happycamper and Lionel ever boycott assos, they may experience a serious sales shortfall.)

Grant McLean
09-12-2013, 07:13 PM
After you get beyond a few big online retailers, CC, Primera, ColoradoCyclist and the affluent Bric&Mortar stores, the median is probably much much lower as most stores are probably only carrying a few jerseys, a few bibs and chamois cream. (I tend to think most only have chamois cream in stock, think REI)

Agreed. Only so many shops have a clientele, traffic, and desire to commit
significant inventory $ to clothing. I think only the Pro and Premium
level dealers stock any kind of variety in product, and that cuts down the
list down significantly.

Apparently, Bicycle Retailer mag has a piece on their pro-shop biz model
in an upcoming issue, maybe it will have some more numbers.

No plans for a boycott yet, but honestly, i'm not luvin' the purple, and likely
won't buy any model if that's on the outside. I'm perfectly happy in the
Uno short, usually buy 3 pairs every other year, when i can get 'em for
$130 each.

-g

Birddog
09-12-2013, 08:52 PM
If you buy the $500+ bibs you might as well throw the $80+ towel in the cart too.