PDA

View Full Version : Snap goes the collar bone

mcteague
09-10-2013, 12:53 PM
Took a spill on my new mt bike yesterday and snapped my collar bone. Right away I knew something was wrong as I just lay in the dirt for way too long. I could feel the end bone through the skin, not actually sticking through, and knew it was bad. Walked about a mile out of the woods with my arm stuck in my jersey opening thinking the whole time "how in the hell am I going to get the bike up on the roof of my car?".

As luck would have it, a roadie was passing by and helped me out. The drive home was fun. Good thing I drive an auto.

Surgery tomorrow to put it all back together. The bone overlaps quite a bit right now. So much for Fall riding! Just typing this with one hand is a PITA.

Tim

MattTuck
09-10-2013, 12:59 PM
That sucks :(

Good luck with the surgery and recovery! Atleast you can still ride a trainer, so you won't lose all your fitness!

moose8
09-10-2013, 01:11 PM
Sorry - that feeling when you've broken something and know it is not a good one. Netflix streaming helped me when I was down with an injury.

tele
09-10-2013, 01:15 PM
that sucks....just last night around the dinner table me and my boys were talking about my crashes the last couple of years and I knocked on wood that I havent had a common collarbone injury, yet.

Hope you heal fast and strong!

aramis
09-10-2013, 01:31 PM
That sucks, I fell 4 days ago on my road bike and have been hobbling around since, but it looks like I'll be better in another week or so. Funny thing is right after I took a really low speed fall and still managed to hurt myself, I said in my head "this is why I don't ride mountain bikes."

I've got nothing to complain about though, hope it doesn't take to long to get back to normal.

bargainguy
09-10-2013, 01:37 PM
You're actually very lucky that the bone was not sticking through the skin - that's an open fracture, and the complications which can ensue (infection, refusal to heal, etc) are horrendous.

Good luck with your recovery, and wishing you a speedy return to the trails!

FlashUNC
09-10-2013, 01:39 PM
Hooray for a closed fracture.

(My elbow was closed, thankfully.)

Had a good buddy on the Saturday ride touch wheels and hit the deck. His prognosis was some torn shoulder ligaments and surgery.

Tough end of summer...

Ralph
09-10-2013, 01:55 PM
On the last Mountain bike ride I ever did, fell in deep woods and broke 4 bones in leg and foot. Somehow foot got tangled in some roots, went down with foot pointed in. Had to ride it out since helicopter couldn't get to me. So with my son and nephew pushing, and me riding with one leg connectd, and the other one just flopping loose, somehow managed to ride about 8 miles out to road where car could take me home. That hurt.

But you know.....it healed, and I've mostly forgotten about it. (did stop riding mountain bikes though)

So you will heal, pain will be forgotten, and you will be riding again soon.

mcteague
09-10-2013, 02:12 PM
On the last Mountain bike ride I ever did, fell in deep woods and broke 4 bones in leg and foot. Somehow foot got tangled in some roots, went down with foot pointed in. Had to ride it out since helicopter couldn't get to me. So with my son and nephew pushing, and me riding with one leg connectd, and the other one just flopping loose, somehow managed to ride about 8 miles out to road where car could take me home. That hurt.

But you know.....it healed, and I've mostly forgotten about it. (did stop riding mountain bikes though)

Yeah, starting the rethink the sense of getting back into mt bikes in my 50s. If this happened on road ride I would not even think about giving up but guess I just don't love mt bikes as much. Going to give it some time and see how my attitude goes. Was a slow speed spill going down a hill. I was looking at the stream at the bottom and a big rock between those points. Think I may have locked the front brake, stupid disks!, and the wheel wedged against the rock and toppled me over. Didn't hold out my arm, kept the grips in my hands, but just must have smacked just the right spot.

Tim

Don49
09-10-2013, 02:18 PM
Been there, done that.

Might want to get a 2nd opinion on the surgery. I was able to avoid it although 1st orthopedist insisted it was necessary.

bargainguy
09-10-2013, 02:47 PM
In my experience, surgery (open reduction/internal fixation, or even closed reduction/internal fixation) is usually reserved for cases where the bone is in pieces instead of a clean break. Clean breaks tend to heal nicely, pieces don't and need to be pinned/screwed together before they heal.

If your surgeon knows his or her stuff, I'm sure you were informed of the potential risks and options. I have no idea how acute your situation is or if you were offered conservative care. From your description of the accident, however, I'd think this is perhaps a bit more complicated than the average case.

mcteague
09-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Been there, done that.

Might want to get a 2nd opinion on the surgery. I was able to avoid it although 1st orthopedist insisted it was necessary.

Seems a clear choice. The bone overlaps by about and inch and there is a small pieced that broke off. The doc says it could heal as is but I would most likely have reduced strength and movement on that side. Done deal, getting cut up tomorrow AM.

Tim

dr50470
09-10-2013, 09:15 PM
Been there, done that...surgery is the way to go. Painful for a day or two after, than home free.

Wilkinson4
09-10-2013, 10:00 PM
Oh no!!! I am 4 weeks in... The first few really sucked. I can actually move my arm a bit now but I am still limited to what I should do. No pushin, pulling, etc.

I got a little frisky over the weekend doing minor yard work, tweaked my back, better now. Just have to chill. I hate it.

I started riding the trainer a week after the break. It hurt and it felt like I broke both legs. I hope I can salvage some fitness but I won't be on the bike outdoors for at least another month.

It is feeling a lot better now and I'm doing some real easy range of motion with my shoulder and arm. Bicep and tricep isolation with resistance band, real easy shrugs. It is amazing how fast you can get soft not using those muscles. I didn't use my arm at all for 2 weeks and I was in the sling the whole time.

Good luck tomorrow! When surgery is used I hear you get range of motion back much faster.

mIKE

Wilkinson4
09-10-2013, 10:02 PM

Cringe!!! Flopping loose!!! UGH!

mIKE

regularguy412
09-10-2013, 10:10 PM
I refrain from advising on whether to have surgery or not (plate/screws,etc), but I'll offer this:

My collar bone was in 3 pieces, smallest piece in the middle. It was not an open fracture. My doc advised against opening the skin just to put in a plate. He said, "If it was already open due to the injury, I would plate it, otherwise, just figure-8 sling and let it heal on its own,,, no need to invite infection".

Also, my long-time riding buddy's collar bone looked like shredded wheat on the x-ray. He also broke the acromion off the top off his shoulder in the event. His was also not an open fracture, and he used a sling for his, as well.

The choice is certainly yours, but I'd prolly get a second opinion on the surgery plan.

Otherwise,, sorry to hear about your incident. After about two weeks, I was able to start riding the trainer again. Couldn't hold the bars, but I could sit upright on the saddle and pedal. Also had to sleep in the recliner for 8 weeks. Just couldn't get comfortable flat on my back in the bed.

Heal quickly, and be sure to use the pain killers, if you need em. No need to be in pain.

Mike in AR:beer:

siegfried08
09-10-2013, 11:30 PM
Seems a clear choice. The bone overlaps by about and inch and there is a small pieced that broke off. The doc says it could heal as is but I would most likely have reduced strength and movement on that side. Done deal, getting cut up tomorrow AM.

Tim

Good luck and heal fast!

vqdriver
09-10-2013, 11:36 PM
Sounds painful. Good luck with the recovery.

ojingoh
09-11-2013, 04:08 AM
Sorry to hear about your fracture.

Try not to ride too soon on it. I broke my clavicle three times in one calendar year -- in February snowboarding in a halfpipe, second time on August loose leaves mountain biking and then again that December snowboarding, again. It was sore for a few months, and didn't get any better.

My then-girlfriend's brother, who did his ortho residency with Eric Heiden btw, warned me that if I didn't lay off it completely he'd have to put a few screws in it. I did, which was a good thing, as I broke up with his sister!

oldpotatoe
09-11-2013, 07:52 AM
Took a spill on my new mt bike yesterday and snapped my collar bone. Right away I knew something was wrong as I just lay in the dirt for way too long. I could feel the end bone through the skin, not actually sticking through, and knew it was bad. Walked about a mile out of the woods with my arm stuck in my jersey opening thinking the whole time "how in the hell am I going to get the bike up on the roof of my car?".

As luck would have it, a roadie was passing by and helped me out. The drive home was fun. Good thing I drive an auto.

Surgery tomorrow to put it all back together. The bone overlaps quite a bit right now. So much for Fall riding! Just typing this with one hand is a PITA.

Tim

Get it??

Sorry, heal fast, breaking a collarbone is no fun.

tommyrod74
09-11-2013, 03:28 PM
I had ORIF done on my left clavicle last season. Plate and 6 screws; my bone was in 6 pieces.

Very happy with the results. On the trainer after 2 weeks, riding on the road (on MTB for the more upright position) after 4 weeks, on a road bike at 6 weeks, raced 3 days after being released (off-road, even) and won a 6-hour race. Won the next 2 endurance MTB races as well. Learned a lot about focused interval training during my trainer hours :) Only did LSD outdoors for the 12 weeks.

bargainguy
09-11-2013, 03:53 PM
We always used to trip indoors.

toytech
09-11-2013, 04:22 PM
I had an AC separation a couple of years ago on my mtb (the official injury of mountain biking) basically tore the end of my collar bone off at the shoulder end.
Doctor just looked at it and said basically "that sucks" and the scar tissue would fill it in. Was back to work as an auto mechanic in 4 weeks. Although my shoulder looks a little funny now :cool:

Wilkinson4
09-12-2013, 09:02 PM
Tim??? U ok???

mIKE

Peter B
09-12-2013, 09:37 PM
Ouch. I was there one year ago. Had an ortho look at mine and he said no surgery, just a sling. Told me the bone would fuse and 'remodel' over time. Sure enough, I've got some odd lumps and bumps but all is well. I laid off for 6 weeks to let it get solid, then got back on the bike. Only thing I'd have done differently would be to focus more and sooner on muscle rehab & flexibility.

mcteague
09-13-2013, 05:37 AM
Tim??? U ok???

mIKE

Only just. Had a real tough time coming out of the anesthesia. Bladder shut down and had to use a catheter for a few days. Lots of pain and the meds are only putting a dent in it. Feeling a little better this morning. Doc said the injury was a bit worse than he thought. A bone fragment he saw in the X-Ray was actually part of my pectoral that was torn loose. Starting to think I should just sell my new mt bike. After getting back into it after a 10 year absence I felt my heart was just not in it. Now, with this injury I am really afraid of falling on the same side. Sure, you can go down on the road, but in the dirt, you just know it's going to happen from time to time. Doc says I can start using the trainer in a day or two.

Tim

mcteague
09-13-2013, 08:52 AM
And now for the money shot! Just removed the bandage this AM, nice.

Tim

FlashUNC
09-13-2013, 09:21 AM
Chicks dig scars.

mcteague
09-13-2013, 12:22 PM
Chicks dig scars.

Guess I was still a bit groggy as I first read this as "chicks dig cigars".

Tim

Wilkinson4
09-13-2013, 03:41 PM
Dang Tim, sorry to hear you had such a rough time. But, you will heal. I'm at least another 4 weeks out before I get on the road I think. As far as ditching the MTB. I took it back up after almost 20 years away from it a few years ago, and I don't do anything risky. But, that was the same story with the road bike and down I went.

You can always use it for fire road exploring... At 46 years old, I'm getting to that age where I can't or shouldn't fall otherwise it just takes too long to heal. Take care and take it easy. Heal up... Rubber down. Oh man that picture... I'm kinda glad I'm trying to let myself heal after seeing that.

mIKE

OtayBW
09-13-2013, 08:17 PM
Oh - for crying out loud......
My friend had a bleeding saddle sore last weekend. Maybe I can get her to snap a quick pic....

Poor taste aside, I hope you feel better and heal up soon....

gemship
09-13-2013, 08:39 PM
My friend had a bleeding saddle sore last weekend. Maybe I can get her to snap a quick pic....

I'm not sure that would be a family friendly photo:p

jeffreng58
09-13-2013, 09:33 PM
Ouch. I knew someone who broke it and cried like a baby.
On a new bike too. Damn

alessandro
09-13-2013, 10:07 PM

Call the wahmbulance. Doesn't bother me. I like to see a nice tight suture line. Also, OP said graphic image in the post title.

Tim, best of luck to you. And don't sell that new MTB just yet.

cnighbor1
09-13-2013, 10:58 PM
Per orthopedic doctor nothing I can do for it including surgery
Charles

nbl78s
09-14-2013, 03:12 AM
Good luck and speedy recovery! I broke my collar bone in 4 places a few years ago, a little surgery and I was back on the bike in no time... You will be to. And you'll have a cool scar to show off :banana:

mcteague
09-14-2013, 06:36 AM
Call the wahmbulance. Doesn't bother me. I like to see a nice tight suture line. Also, OP said graphic image in the post title.

Tim, best of luck to you. And don't sell that new MTB just yet.

Thanks for handling that one. I actually think this sort of info could be useful to fellow readers. Lots of cyclists break their collar bones and figured a little documentation of the process would be interesting. It's not like the picture was of a gaping wound. Guess some people just need to be shielded from life's little unpleasant detours.

Not sure what to do about the mt bike. Only had 4 rides and, to be honest, I missed the simplicity of road riding. No cars, racks and drive time. Plus, I was finding myself a bit nervous over the really rocky parts. Now I know what was worrying me!

Tim

gemship
09-14-2013, 06:40 AM
Thanks for handling that one. I actually think this sort of info could be useful to fellow readers. Lots of cyclists break their collar bones and figured a little documentation of the process would be interesting. It's not like the picture was of a gaping wound. Guess some people just need to be shielded from life's little unpleasant detours.

Not sure what to do about the mt bike. Only had 4 rides and, to be honest, I missed the simplicity of road riding. No cars, racks and drive time. Plus, I was finding myself a bit nervous over the really rocky parts. Now I know what was worrying me!

Tim

This is one of a few threads that I have a new found interest in. The real side to biking. Glad you posted, very educational. It's funny I get turned off to mtn. biking not because of injuries just that I live amongst a lot of rocky and rutted, root filled trails. I always rode them with a hard tail every once in a while and found myself pinch flatting and getting hammered with shock. I came to the conclusion that I didn't like the ride enough to invest in a decent full suspension, tubeless off road bike.

So yeah there have been a few interesting medical related threads and it's just nice to see our mortality. I really am surprised at how many educated, white collar, middle aged folks put themselves in the crosshairs of bike racing and living on the edge for what is supposed to be fun and RR on a bicycle.

johngmartin
09-14-2013, 09:28 AM
Good luck with a speedy recovery! I'm 90% recovered from a fractured collarbone and broken hand from 4 weeks ago. I hope to be back on the bike for Hub on Wheels here in Boston next Sunday!

26 years old and a lot of milk certainly helps, but don't underestimate being positive and really wanting to recover... mind over matter goes a long way!

lemondsteel
09-14-2013, 09:13 PM
Tell you what....anything in the shoulder area is a pain like no other in turns of discomfort and nuisance. It's been 17 months since I dislocated my right shoulder in a cycling accident. Many times I thought "I wished I had broken a collar bone instead". True.... the collarbone injury is one I don't have experience with but after 17 months I still have problems sleeping on the right side and some discomfort lowering my arm if it is raised above my head. I have to be careful doing anything that's awkward. Surgery wasn'r an option due to terrible extremely high deductable insurance. Just over the counter anti-inflammation and aspirin. As for cycling, it doesn't seem to create or aggrevate additional pain.

OtayBW
09-14-2013, 09:21 PM

Yep - guess so. Thanks for the public service. :D

Wilkinson4
10-06-2013, 09:16 PM
Tim, how you doing?

mIKE