PDA

View Full Version : Selling Advice

Levee Road
09-09-2013, 08:28 PM
Hi All,

Long time lurker....dont post much.

Thinking of selling a seldom used road bike. I know the timing is tough, and am looking for advice on selling whole or parting out. Its a Salsa Casseroll, 9-speed ultegra group in good shape, open pros with shimano hubs, CK headset, and other VO parts.

Any thoughts? Should I wait until Spring?

Thanks!

handsomerob
09-09-2013, 08:31 PM
Hi All,

Long time lurker....dont post much.

Thinking of selling a seldom used road bike. I know the timing is tough, and am looking for advice on selling whole or parting out. Its a Salsa Casseroll, 9-speed ultegra group in good shape, open pros with shimano hubs, CK headset, and other VO parts.

Any thoughts? Should I wait until Spring?

Thanks!

There is a market for just about any bike here... a Salsa Casseroll would likely fit someone's bill quite nicely.

take some good pictures, get some good measurements, post a classified ad for the amount of money you would like to get for it and if you don't get any responses and/or have to bump your own thread every 3 days then you (likely) want too much money for it.

Good luck.

MattTuck
09-09-2013, 08:35 PM
If parting it out, people looking for winter projects might pick up some of the components/frame. If looking to sell as a whole, you probably won't find too much interest from people in the North. Still plenty of people in warm climates that might pick it up over the winter if the price is right.

Then again, like most things, if the price is fair, you're likely to find a buyer.

christian
09-09-2013, 08:36 PM
First gen Casserolls are pretty cult bikes and second gen ones are reasonably popular too. As they appeal to people who "know" bikes, seasonality is probably less of an issue.

You'll make the most money by selling it as follows:
- Frame/Fork/Headset
- Wheels
- Gruppo (shifters, brake calipers, derailleurs, crank, chain, cassette, lockring, cables and housing)
- stem
- bars
- seatpost
- seat

cmg
09-09-2013, 09:22 PM
the season kind of ends at the beginning of october. offer smaller parts to international sale for a larger audience.

bargainguy
09-09-2013, 09:26 PM
Parting out generally brings the highest price, but it can take longer to sell everything off depending on demand.

For a complete bike:

Local sales (CL etc.) generally bring the least, but quickest.

Forums like this bring more than local.

Ebeast gets the widest audience and possibly the highest price, but you can take 15% off the top for fees and have to consider the possibility that any little thing can make the buyer want to return, and ebeast generally sides with the buyer.

It all depends on how quickly you want to sell and how much you want to get.

dustyrider
09-09-2013, 10:08 PM
The elephant in the corner: size.

fiataccompli
09-10-2013, 07:55 AM
FWIW, I would expect a bike like a Casseroll could have an audience year-round since it's the kind of bike that can be built to be put into a wider variety of uses. I picked mine up barely used (probably mostly as a clothes hanger) in ATL of CL last December as a complete, "out of the box" bike.

Levee Road
09-10-2013, 10:17 AM
Thanks for all of the advice. I may offer it as a complete bike, and then part out if no interest. Craigslist bike sales are a little more difficult here in Memphis as the market isn't huge.

It is the first generation and is a 53 according to the early (and confusing) sizing. The EFF is 56.

http://salsacycles.com/bikes/casseroll_double#

christian
09-10-2013, 10:25 AM
That's a great bike; won't have any trouble selling it.

To maximize profit, sell 4 weeks before D2R2! :)

AngryScientist
09-10-2013, 10:32 AM
one of the group rode one at dirtphalt 2013.

why did they stop making such a great bike?

4Rings6Stars
09-10-2013, 10:39 AM
one of the group rode one at dirtphalt 2013.

why did they stop making such a great bike?

Agreed...if the OPs was my size (~54TT) I would be sending a note with intent to purchase. Awesome bikes.

handsomerob
09-10-2013, 10:48 AM
Thanks for all of the advice. I may offer it as a complete bike, and then part out if no interest. Craigslist bike sales are a little more difficult here in Memphis as the market isn't huge.

It is the first generation and is a 53 according to the early (and confusing) sizing. The EFF is 56.

http://salsacycles.com/bikes/casseroll_double#

I am in Memphis and I haven't seen it pop up for sale... Give it a shot and you could be surprised. Be nice to see another Casseroll around... here is mine (2nd gen for canti brakes... http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=126790

Levee Road
09-10-2013, 11:05 AM
I am in Memphis and I haven't seen it pop up for sale... Give it a shot and you could be surprised. Be nice to see another Casseroll around... here is mine (2nd gen for canti brakes... http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=126790

I am going to try local Craigslist first. Just haven't had the best luck in the past.