PDA

View Full Version : oven cleaner on aluminum components?

Serpico
01-02-2006, 05:12 PM
hello

I have two sets of bars, a stem and a seat seatpost--all are black aluminum

I am unable to remove graphics (all the components are easton except for the second set of bars, which are salsa)

would it be okay to use ovencleaner, and just have bare/silver aluminum

hate these easton graphics, and I'd rather have silver anyway

thanks

dave thompson
01-02-2006, 05:18 PM
hello

I have two sets of bars, a stem and a seat seatpost--all are black aluminum

I am unable to remove graphics (all the components are easton except for the second set of bars, which are salsa)

would it be okay to use ovencleaner, and just have bare/silver aluminum

hate these easton graphics, and I'd rather have silver anyway

thanks
Oven cleaner will leave a dull and mottled look to the surface, not very pretty. I tried it on a couple of stems, trying to remove the logo. The results weren't what I would call good.

I considered having the part glass bead, or walnut shell blasted but I found some better pieces that didn't need any work so I never pursued that, though I suspect it would have good results.

dirtdigger88
01-02-2006, 05:27 PM
dont do it-

like dave said- it leave a BAD finish-

I tried in on an old set of ultegra cranks just for giggles- they had 15k on em- so I didnt think I could make them any worse-

I did-

Jason

David Kirk
01-02-2006, 05:35 PM
Have you tried acetone? It takes the logos off Ritchey stuff lickity split.

Dave

Serpico
01-02-2006, 05:43 PM
I used acetone to eat the decals off my moots ti post, afraid it would take the finish off the black, the easton logos are silkscreened (or something)--might try it anyway

I think I'll take both bars, and the other components to a body shop and see what they say. I really want the bars I have (Salsa "Pro Road bar"), but also want silver (even though tape will cover 90% of the bars ;) )

Kevin
01-02-2006, 05:44 PM
Nail polish remover will do the trick.

Kevin