PDA

View Full Version : what is the bearing size spec for powertap freehubs? (15mm axle)?

wallymann
09-09-2013, 05:50 PM
thx!

ajz07
09-09-2013, 07:36 PM
for 15mm axles:
6902 in drive side and freehub
6802 in non-drive side

I know of/ read of many people that have done it and that it is theoretically quite easy. What makes me slightly nervous about it is that the posts I have read in different forums (weight weenies and slowtwitch) occasionally mention that doing this is theoretically supposed to mess up the calibration. Of course this may be an old wives tale from saris in order to get more money...

kramnnim
09-09-2013, 09:22 PM
This spring I rode with a guy who, according to his Powertap, averaged over a kilowatt for more than an hour. I was told he didn't send his wheel in for new bearings, but has a local shop do it.

wallymann
09-09-2013, 09:30 PM
DIY should be no problem. i've swapped out bearings on 12mm PTs, both in the hub and freehub...done carefully, no ill effects whatsoever. how-to vids on youtube.

for 15mm axles:
6902 in drive side and freehub
6802 in non-drive side

I know of/ read of many people that have done it and that it is theoretically quite easy. What makes me slightly nervous about it is that the posts I have read in different forums (weight weenies and slowtwitch) occasionally mention that doing this is theoretically supposed to mess up the calibration. Of course this may be an old wives tale from saris in order to get more money...

oldpotatoe
09-10-2013, 07:06 AM
thx!

Really depends on how hard the old bearings are to get out of the hub. If really snug, and mild tapping doesn't get them out, and harder smacking is required..that may goon up the electronics..and off to Powertap they go.

Technique wise, very simple just depends on above.

fio
09-10-2013, 08:58 AM
FWIW,

If you send us your hub to have new bearings but it you'll get Enduro's Abec-5 (http://endurobearings.com/product/abec5/) bearings, a new axle, 11 speed freehub body, and our G3 electronics put in as well. You'll also get a new one year warranty. Cost is our flat rate fee of $350.

Yes, that's a lot of money for bearings, but consider purchasing new bearings, installing them, and then throwing off your calibration. You'll be out the cost of bearings, shipping, and then the cost to repair the hub, which is the $350 stated above. In the long run it might be more cost effective to just send the hub in for the overhaul--it just depends on whether or not you're willing to take the chance :)

wallymann
10-02-2013, 11:02 AM
this is fair advice. in addition to doing the bearing swap DIY, i've had 2 rebuilt by saris and was quite happy with the results -- the most recent was the upgrade to the G3 spec.

keep in mind if you want ceramic bearings, the cost is $450. $350 is just for the standard overhaul, at least that was the case when i had it done.

FWIW,

If you send us your hub to have new bearings but it you'll get Enduro's Abec-5 (http://endurobearings.com/product/abec5/) bearings, a new axle, 11 speed freehub body, and our G3 electronics put in as well. You'll also get a new one year warranty. Cost is our flat rate fee of $350.

Yes, that's a lot of money for bearings, but consider purchasing new bearings, installing them, and then throwing off your calibration. You'll be out the cost of bearings, shipping, and then the cost to repair the hub, which is the $350 stated above. In the long run it might be more cost effective to just send the hub in for the overhaul--it just depends on whether or not you're willing to take the chance :)