PDA

View Full Version : New BQ - Calfee 650B Rando

ptourkin
09-09-2013, 03:30 PM
Anticipatory lust warning:

http://janheine.wordpress.com/2013/09/09/autumn-2013-bicycle-quarterly/

CNY rider
09-09-2013, 03:36 PM
That may turn out to be the greatest bike in the world but my gawd that thing is ugly.
It looks like it got beat with the ugly stick.

Fishbike
09-09-2013, 03:50 PM
I like Calfee bikes. I learned to like the webbed lugs after I bought by Luna Pro because I like the ride and fit so much. But, man, so many of Calfee's show bikes are really unattractive. The company built one for either Bicycling [I]or [I]Roadbikereview[I] and boy was that thing a mish mash of design.

austex
09-09-2013, 03:56 PM
That may turn out to be the greatest bike in the world but my gawd that thing is ugly.

+1 and then some...

plattyjo
09-09-2013, 04:04 PM
...you're generally dressed in Day-Glo reflective gear from head to toe and thus have learned to live with being a fashion victim -- rather than a victim of a car accident. (So I've somewhat embraced the neon aesthetic as I've begun the slow march to PBP 2015.)

I'm guessing as long as the Calfee rides like a dream, randos won't care so much.

AngryScientist
09-09-2013, 04:51 PM
i dont see too many real rando guys jumping at carbon wheels, carbon cages, wet brakes, weight weenie stems, etc.

and yes, ugly is correct.

i'm sure it rides just dreamy though.

JAGI410
09-09-2013, 04:54 PM
please tell me that's photoshopped

Frankwurst
09-09-2013, 05:00 PM

Looks more like The Ugly Stick to me. To each his own. Not my type of hairdo.:beer:

wallymann
09-09-2013, 05:04 PM
···?! that thing is UGLY. this makes me want to dig my eyes out!

great bike, but jesu-christo...if you want a high-end lugged carbon, get a parlee.

plattyjo
09-09-2013, 05:17 PM
Volagi bikes seem to be gaining traction with the faster randos / double century folks, however.

bargainguy
09-09-2013, 05:31 PM
If memory serves, the Davis bike museum has a striking Calfee - carbon, but made of a matrix of open "spiderwebbing" for lack of a better term, not tubes in the traditional sense. I've never seen a frame like that before.

54ny77
09-09-2013, 05:43 PM
What is that thing, the bike equivalent of a Hummer H1 to get to the grocery store in the rain or traversing mountainous speed bumps in the parking lot?

oddsaabs
09-09-2013, 06:02 PM
Well now, it ain't all THAT bad. I mean, change the color, remove the Enve decals, switch out the tan walls for some black ones (Hetre Extra Leger don't come in black, but I can dream), swap out that fugly Brooks for a Gilles Berthoud, and it wouldn't look too awful. I suppose while we're at it, the stem needs to be longer/slammed, and that Sram stuff has got to go.

I'm really just kinda curious how the editor will respond to riding a bike built in this millennium.

CNY rider
09-09-2013, 06:18 PM
Yo bicycle is so ugly that when she joined an ugly contest, they said "Sorry, no professionals."

or perhaps

Yo bicycle is so ugly that she didn't get hit with the ugly stick, she got hit by the whole damn tree.

or even

Yo bicycle is so ugly that she's never seen herself 'cause the mirrors keep breaking.

firerescuefin
09-09-2013, 06:24 PM
Craig's soft-tail full disc road opis something I'd love to ride/own...beyond the aesthetic, I'm sure this rides great.

54ny77
09-09-2013, 06:26 PM
I'm sure this would be a creampuff ride down I-95, but it doesn't mean I'd want to own it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TiX2VMiwJo

;)

Craig's soft-tail full disc road opis something I'd love to ride/own...beyond the aesthetic, I'm sure this rides great.

sparky33
09-09-2013, 06:40 PM
Well now, it ain't all THAT bad. I mean, change the color, remove the Enve decals, switch out the tan walls for some black ones (Hetre Extra Leger don't come in black, but I can dream), swap out that fugly Brooks for a Gilles Berthoud, and it wouldn't look too awful. I suppose while we're at it, the stem needs to be longer/slammed, and that Sram stuff has got to go.

I'm really just kinda curious how the editor will respond to riding a bike built in this millennium.

The BQ 700c Calfee review from 2011 went something like..."I did not expect to love it but I did... I want to keep it". No small praise.

And seeing as this Calfee is even more BQ sympatico with 650b Hetres, the odds are good for positive review. I bet he'll pan the disc brakes.

sparky33
09-09-2013, 07:37 PM
The recent wave of modern 650b bikes is pretty exciting. Seven, English, Calfee, et al are adapting 650b in a way that excites me more than a traditional French rando machine.
Crazy, no?

seat_boy
09-09-2013, 07:57 PM
I'm happy to see BQ coming out in color... but that Calfee might have looked better in B&W.

R2D2
09-10-2013, 06:31 AM
i dont see too many real rando guys jumping at carbon wheels, carbon cages, wet brakes, weight weenie stems, etc.

and yes, ugly is correct.

i'm sure it rides just dreamy though.

Mark Thomas may be the exception that proves the rule.
He has a very nice Calfee decked out in Enve.
But that is just one of his rides.

ptourkin
09-10-2013, 09:13 AM

As noted above - Jan fell in love with the Calfee Adventure build he tested, to the shock of his readers. He's been quite favorable to modern bikes lately and did a ti bike test recently.

Out here in SoCal, a lot of rando guys ride fast carbon or ti rather than classic steel 650B since we only have rain/bumps for a couple of our events every year. Having the new options from the big manufacturers that take wider tires and fenders is nice but they haven't provided for front carry on longer rides. Some may consider it ugly, but Calfee has taken another step by adding the front rack, something that was discussed when the Adventure came out but not fully integrated until they figured out how to do it with carbon. As to whether or not rando guys want to go faster-- I've always felt that one way to get more comfortable on a 400k and above is to get it done and get off the bike.

ColonelJLloyd
09-10-2013, 11:21 AM

Have you read the magazine? Most (if not all) the bikes tested are newly built, though some may have a vintage component here or there.

oddsaabs
09-10-2013, 01:27 PM
Yes, thank you, I have read the magazine. Been a subscriber for a couple years now actually. Looking forward to the latest issue appearing in my mailbox any day now.

The interest in this thread makes me think we might have sold a few more subscriptions in the last 2 days.

poopoopeepee
09-10-2013, 02:22 PM
whoa yea i love calfee but dat joint ugggly

Fixed
09-10-2013, 02:57 PM

+1
Maybe hard on the eyes but easy one the bod
Cheers :)

palincss
09-10-2013, 04:47 PM

Spoken like a man who never reads the journal. Those who do read the journal will recall the positive comments made about the earlier Calfee, and about the Seven and Lynskey Ti bikes, and will also note that the editor's own Rene Herse was built only a couple of years ago.

oddsaabs
09-30-2013, 06:46 PM
Latest edition of BQ arrived today. Verdict is in...

http://youtu.be/vYEXzx-TINc

He likes it, he really likes it.

He even like the disc brakes, sort of.

Gotta admit the man is a stud. Took a new bike out on the Volcano High Pass Super Randonnee. 617km (including 130km of gravel roads) with 11,350m climbing in under 40 hours! Yikes!

Still not a very pretty bike, but paint is only skin deep.

false_Aest
09-30-2013, 07:29 PM
i think i now understand the right-wing argument against abortions.

edit: but i bet it planes well and feels great

oldpotatoe
10-01-2013, 08:26 AM
The recent wave of modern 650b bikes is pretty exciting. Seven, English, Calfee, et al are adapting 650b in a way that excites me more than a traditional French rando machine.
Crazy, no?

Not trying to start an argument. But why on a Rando bike is a front rack preferred over a larger, with panniers, rear rack..for a 400++ KM unsupported ride? Or front , low rider mounts..panniers. That much 'stuff' not needed?

R2D2
10-01-2013, 08:46 AM
Not trying to start an argument. But why on a Rando bike is a front rack preferred over a larger, with panniers, rear rack..for a 400++ KM unsupported ride? Or front , low rider mounts..panniers. That much 'stuff' not needed?

There are two styles. The British use an Audax style with weight in the back with a rack or seat bag and support.
The French style has high rake and low trail with weight on the front in the bag.

The front rack can be preferred as it allows:
1.A bag to get in and out of easily for food/jacket/warmers etc....
2.A map case on top of the bag. Although many are switching to GPS.
3.A nice place to hang a light running off the gen hub.
4.The rear light has less chance of being obstructed.

Many hard-core Rando guys I know prefer the weighted front end and a light maneuverable rear. They say it handles better for them.

Also on the longer brevets experienced riders tend to be minimalist and carry bare essentials. Mostly spare tube(s) , food and clothes.
There are always designated drop points for bags to be acquired along the route. You can repair and get any aid you need at control points. It is only between control points when you have to rely solely on yourself or other riders in the event.

There is nothing wrong with either "fashion". And there are lots of combinations of the two. Small front load and larger back load and vice versa.

Hope this helps...........

jr59
10-01-2013, 09:01 AM
It's simply style!

As long as you ride self-supported and make your controls, it doesn't matter!

Use a back pack, messenger bag, or anything else you can think of!

fiamme red
10-01-2013, 09:14 AM
It's simply style!

As long as you ride self-supported and make your controls, it doesn't matter!

Use a back pack, messenger bag, or anything else you can think of!I wouldn't want to ride 25 miles with a backpack or messenger bag, let alone 250. It's not simply style.

jr59
10-01-2013, 09:20 AM
I wouldn't want to ride 25 miles with a backpack or messenger bag, let alone 250. It's not simply style.

Because you wouldn't want to, does not make it illegal in a rando event!

It doesn't matter how, it matters that you are self supported and make the controls on time. That to me is the beauty of the events. There is no one right way!

sparky33
10-01-2013, 09:29 AM

I can see how a front-rack-bag-and-light is practical for brevet length adventure, but it's been a long time since I rolled with that crowd.

For my more typical afternoon or day-long rides, a medium seat pouch, gps unit and simple battery lights are all I need on a stripped down bike with jumbo 650b rubber. I see the Calfee as a good match for that sort of thing... nix the front rack and dyno lights for me.

goonster
10-01-2013, 09:30 AM
There is no one right way!
Maybe not, but there is a broad consensus that carrying all the gear on your body is not very enjoyable on brevets. Yes, I've seen folks ride brevets with backpacks and messenger bags. They either elect not to repeat the experience, or they find different solutions.

The front bag is not just style either. Many randonneurs find it advantageous to be able to access clothing and food while riding. I've done that with a saddle-mounted Carradice, but it works much better with a large Berthoud-style bag in front.

carlineng
10-01-2013, 10:44 AM
Even though brevets are unsupported, there are usually enough grocery stores or other supply stops that you can get away without too much carrying capacity, so a rear or lowrider rack with panniers isn't necessary.

oddsaabs
10-01-2013, 11:47 AM
There are two styles. The British use an Audax style with weight in the back with a rack or seat bag and support.
The French style has high rake and low trail with weight on the front in the bag

I'd even take this a little further and make a series of sweeping generalizations about nationality and style at the big international brevets. It's obviously not always accurate, but there are some common findings that can help ID the country of origin before ever asking. Kind of a fun game when you've been on the bike for 3 days.

1. Large seat bag, no helmet, fixed gear = British
2. Crew of 5 with matching kit, no bags, and all on carbon bikes = Italian
3. Hydration bag on back, hauling ass all day = German
4. Steel low trail frame (often custom), front rack with rando bag, wool jersey = Yankee

I rode LEL this past summer and was correct in my assumptions at least 70% of the time.

Just for full disclosure, this is me half way up some stinking steep hill somewhere in the middle of England. I'm setting up for the next switchback:

ptourkin
10-01-2013, 03:11 PM
Maybe not, but there is a broad consensus that carrying all the gear on your body is not very enjoyable on brevets. Yes, I've seen folks ride brevets with backpacks and messenger bags. They either elect not to repeat the experience, or they find different solutions.

The front bag is not just style either. Many randonneurs find it advantageous to be able to access clothing and food while riding. I've done that with a saddle-mounted Carradice, but it works much better with a large Berthoud-style bag in front.

^ this.
At least in SoCal, the longer brevets end up with more distance between controls. For 200 and 300ks, I can go jersey pockets and regular small saddle bag for food and warmers. For 400, 600 and above, you are riding into the night and with more temp change and more food, having things easily accessible without stopping makes a front bag advantageous. I ride a road bike with a rear carry system on these rides and am always jealous of the riders who can just reach into their big front bag and change clothes/grab a 3 course meal without dismounting. Also, the mounted lights and dyno are just one less thing to worry about storing. Glad to see Calfee trying to address this within the limits of a carbon fork (use a SON though!)

Personally, looking at the new handlebar bag Emily is making for those of us who use road bikes on brevets: http://www.dillpicklegear.com/?page_id=1016

BCS
10-01-2013, 03:15 PM
I would prefer to have the headlight mounted on the front rack. I like my lights lower than on the bars

559Rando
10-01-2013, 03:20 PM
Just for full disclosure, this is me half way up some stinking steep hill somewhere in the middle of England. I'm setting up for the next switchback:

Saabs, what bike is there? :banana: