PDA

View Full Version : Assos getting their groove back.

Charles M
09-09-2013, 08:51 AM
I think they've always made the highest quality kit...

Review (Bib shorts, Arm and Leg warmers, Jersey and Vest) here:
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/page/latest-news/?id=108664id%3D108664

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/14as.jpg

They've been out marketed for the past couple of years but have never stopped development.

I'm a fan of a lot of kit, Capo heck, even Mavic's latest is good stuff. But Assos total attention to detail for each garment is just peak...

Not sure what the changes are for the new Bibs (new model launches today) to make em any better.

FlashUNC
09-09-2013, 09:05 AM
Good to hear on the Mangusta.

I'm still in love with their old SS.13 jersey. Really dumbfounded how they think they could improve upon it.

avalonracing
09-09-2013, 09:06 AM
But what about their espresso cups, silk scarves and leather bound training diaries? How do they measure up to the competition?

MattTuck
09-09-2013, 09:07 AM
Good to hear on the Mangusta.

I'm still in love with their old SS.13 jersey. Really dumbfounded how they think they could improve upon it.

Put a couple pink stripes on it? :rolleyes:

FlashUNC
09-09-2013, 09:26 AM
Put a couple pink stripes on it? :rolleyes:

Couldn't hurt now that you mention it. Mine is a bit monochrome.

Charles M
09-09-2013, 09:29 AM
Lol,

That's the funny part. You have a company like Rapha that can sell like nobody before and then you have Assos that build kit like nobody before...

A lot easier to dumb down graphics than "smarten" up fabric/materials design and cut...

The New Bibs are a lot different... New Chamois tech and something like half of the seams, but (suggested) better compression and freedom of movement. I dont understand how a better short than the s5 is possible...

Lionel
09-09-2013, 10:22 AM
Been an Assos fan for a long time. Once you try their stuff it's really hard to go back. One thing they have to do is go back to normal names. All the new names are just stupid.

jlwdm
09-09-2013, 10:42 AM
Like Assos and have lots of bibs. Like the jersey material but not many of the jersey styles.

Jeff

christian
09-09-2013, 11:02 AM
I can't wait until Uno Logos go on sale!

mgm777
09-09-2013, 11:14 AM
I too am a big Assos proponent. Really enjoy their winter jackets, tights, and bibs..especially the Milles. However, even though I have several versions of their SS.Uno jersey and recently purchased a SS.Mille jersey, I just can't get the fit right. The Mille is a weird fit, but for me, my biggest complaint is that it is simply too long in the torso. It hangs too low for my liking. My SS.Unos are shorter in the torso, but still not short enough. How does the SS.13 compare to the UNO in torso length? I normally wear a Large in the SS.Uno, but could get away with a Medium. My Mille is a Med and it is huge(length). For reference, I am 5'10, 160#.

rnhood
09-09-2013, 12:11 PM
Very nice review, and covering the development and construction detail often missing in other reviews.

I like the materials and fit of Assos but, the pad in my Sugoi shorts is just better than on my Assos bibs (and shorts - I have both)....for me. I know its personal preference to a large degree but the pad in the RSE Sugoi is the top tier imho. Having said this, I will likely try a new pair of Assos. I like what I read in the Pez review and its good to know their development engine is alive and well.

A couple on bike shots of the cycling attire would have been nice. Otherwise the review article was excellent.

FlashUNC
09-09-2013, 12:18 PM
Very nice review, and covering the development and construction detail often missing in other reviews.

I like the materials and fit of Assos but, the pad in my Sugoi shorts is just better than on my Assos bibs (and shorts - I have both)....for me. I know its personal preference to a large degree but the pad in the RSE Sugoi is the top tier imho. Having said this, I will likely try a new pair of Assos. I like what I read in the Pez review and its good to know their development engine is alive and well.

A couple on bike shots of the cycling attire would have been nice. Otherwise the review article was excellent.

Short/shoes/saddles are such personal preference items.

I have a deep and unhealthy love for Rapha's bib shorts and chamois, with Assos coming in second.

The gooch wants what the gooch wants...

jpw
09-09-2013, 12:22 PM
Been an Assos fan for a long time. Once you try their stuff it's really hard to go back. One thing they have to do is go back to normal names. All the new names are just stupid.

maybe stupid, but its important markets include German and French and Japanese speaking cyclists. "Falkenzahn" and "Pompadour" and "Fugu" help.

I'd be interested to see its geographic sales statistics.

jpw
09-09-2013, 12:26 PM
the Climaschutz material is too much like plastic. not breathable enough by some distance. not recommended.

the Triton fabric is better (Sturmprinz jacket, rain shorts and rain trousers)

faryab
11-05-2013, 06:20 PM
Love everything Assos