PDA

View Full Version : Col du Joly

maxn
09-09-2013, 07:53 AM
This is Col du Joly from Albertville, with velotel. It had been a while (too long) since we last rode together.

No time for a detailed ride report, but here is a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX-eWvAR1uw (Don't forget to turn HD on!)

Camera: GoPro3, K-edge mount
Music: Janelle Monae, Sincerely, Jane

bobswire
09-09-2013, 08:22 AM
Very cool as usual, this is the only way I'll ever visit those roads, thanks.

Joel
09-09-2013, 10:51 AM
Lovely!

I am over in the Vercors riding today and it was beautiful here- especially after yesterday's rain.

Thanks as always for posting these - they are part of the inspiration that got me here.

Joel

maxn
09-09-2013, 11:52 AM
How long are you here for Joel and where in the Vercors are you? Maybe we can ride together!

bob: come on man… so many nice rides over here waiting for you!

Joel
09-09-2013, 02:58 PM
Sending you a PM

tiretrax
09-09-2013, 03:19 PM
That's great, Max. Thank you for posting. When will you guys do the Alpe d'Huez double?

bobswire, there are so many great rides in your region, too. Time to get a gopro!

ultraman6970
09-09-2013, 09:02 PM
wish had stuff like that here... well cant complain, have the skiline but only to get there takes like an hour driving (slowly), the other thing is that it doesnt go up gradualy like the ones in those videos. Nice video, thanks :D

572cv
09-09-2013, 09:53 PM
Great video, Max.
We were there a week ago, my wife and I. Since we were riding together, and had never been to that vicinity before ( but hope to again!), I went with her wishes and we went up the Cormet de Roselend, the standard route. I'd have done Joly or Col de Pré, given the time and the choice. Still, Roselend was a great climb too.

I'm sorry we didn't have more time and the chance to run into you or velotel. We were based up in Annecy this time anyway, so were riding a number of rides out of there. What a beautiful stretch of weather running from late August into the first week of September. It was like this.... Col d'Aravis with Mt. Blanc in the background, and Col Des Pres as examples:

maxn
09-10-2013, 01:38 AM
It was my first time riding there too, and I'd like to go back as well. Still have not ridden the Cornet de Roseland. Nice photos!

tiretrax: No alpe double for me!

572cv
09-10-2013, 07:05 AM
The Cormet de Roselend climb from the north, which begins in earnest from Beaufort to the Col de Meraillet is pretty wooded. Nice on a hot day, which it pretty much was, and with some nice views back over the Beaufort valley, but things don't open up with the grand vistas till you hit the Meraillet. There is a restaurant there, and a good sized lake created by a hydro dam, with that glacial blue water, so distinctive. After a considerable climb and good grades- I think up to and over 10%- the view across to the next portion of the climb, on the south east end of the lake, is wonderful. In the first picture, with lake, you can see the climb zigging up the face of the escarpment on the left side, from Meraillet. After you make it up that portion of the climb, you hit a lower alpine rocky meadow, with a parking area and little restaurant where a lot of people go to hike, le Plan de la Lai. From there, another climb, not as bad, to the Cormet. I don't know what the milk cans were for, I didn't see the goats or sheep. The pictures are in sequence with the last one looking down the south side. Quite a temperature dif bottom to top, at least 10C on what was a very good day.

choke
09-10-2013, 09:05 PM
Awesome as always. Thanks Max.

Deux Chevaux - nice pics.

velotel
09-12-2013, 12:27 AM
Just watched the vid again this morning. I think that this one is my favorite so far. And for once I like the music! That descent was sublime. Oddly enough the vid didn't, at least for me, really capture the speed we were rolling at. I don't know how fast we were hitting but sure as heck seemed seriously fast at times. Does your strava data show how long the descent lasted? What was it in the end, something like 80+ K and 1800 vertical? That was so good. Thanks for the vid.