PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo BB30 cups

Hank Scorpio
09-09-2013, 06:29 AM
I am switching from a bb30 setup to the campy bb30 adapter cups for an ultra torque crankset. Do I need a press to get the cups in? And should I keep those internal bearing stop C clips in place? It seems like they are unnecessary because the cups themselves have shoulders that will prevent them from being set in too far. Should I grease the hell out of them or use some
Loc-tite?

oldpotatoe
09-09-2013, 07:23 AM
I am switching from a bb30 setup to the campy bb30 adapter cups for an ultra torque crankset. Do I need a press to get the cups in? And should I keep those internal bearing stop C clips in place? It seems like they are unnecessary because the cups themselves have shoulders that will prevent them from being set in too far. Should I grease the hell out of them or use some
Loc-tite?

Remove c clips..I use a headset press. Grease or antisieze the piss outta them. Fairly short 'shoulder', some have had noise, migration 'issues', I really haven't on the ones I have installed..but..Wheels manufacturing, Praxis and Parlee also make BB30/PFBB30 cups for UT cranks.

Hank Scorpio
09-09-2013, 07:55 AM
Please no noise! That is why I am switching away from Bb30 cranks in the first place. Have you had better luck with the fsa sleeves that accept normal English bb cups?

oldpotatoe
09-09-2013, 07:58 AM
Please no noise! That is why I am switching away from Bb30 cranks in the first place. Have you had better luck with the fsa sleeves that accept normal English bb cups?

FSA or sram or Wheels..various adapters out there.

Tony T
09-09-2013, 08:01 AM
Have you considered the new (2014) Campy Over-Torque™ (http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/tech/id_31.jsp) cranks?

corky
09-09-2013, 08:06 AM
Campy cups have given me creep and creak, switching to Parlee.... fall back position.... Over Torque.

The creak only happens when honking out of the saddle... but I can't stand it.

happycampyer
09-09-2013, 08:26 AM
When I needed to replace the FSA bearings on my RSL, Justin at Signature recommended the ones from C-Bear, a Belgian company. I've been happy with them so far. Pretty sure they make Campy adapters as well—worth taking a look.

Lewis Moon
09-09-2013, 08:29 AM
Campy cups have given me creep and creak, switching to Parlee.... fall back position.... Over Torque.

The creak only happens when honking out of the saddle... but I can't stand it.

I've been chasing UT ticks and creaks for a while. I've come to believe creaks are the price of running some cranks.
I've done everything mentioned here previously but I just can't calm it. BB chased and faced multiple times by good mechanics, w/Campy tools. The micrometer sez it's perfectly square. Cups in and out and replaced multiple times. Everything torqued with a good torque wrench. I get silence for about one ride everytime I pull the cranks and grease them. The bearings are running smoothly so I haven't gotten around to changing them.

I find that if I just concentrate on riding, the creaks and ticks fade into the background.

Hank Scorpio
09-09-2013, 09:32 AM
My lbs has the c-bear option but it is pricey because it includes the bearings as well. I saw Praxis has a prototype BB30 for ultra-torque but when I spoke to them I was told it is not near production. Also given their history of abandoning 135 BCD spacing on their chainrings I wouldn't hold my breath on the unit making into production.

They must not hang out here, probably on Slowtwitch.

Tell me how bad this idea is. I was thinking of running a small bead of silicone caulk against the shoulder of the BB cup.