PDA

View Full Version : Velocity A23 OC Question: Spoke Length

false_Aest
09-08-2013, 10:17 AM
Hi,

I'm lacing a set of A23s to ORC/ELF hubs. F: 24 Radial R: 28 3x/2x

So Velocity lists the ERD of the A23s @ 601mm. Obviously I'll double check this when I receive the rims.

OC rims are 3.5mm offset. Shouldn't this affect spoke length? In other words, when I plug in data to a spoke calculator (I've used the DT one in the past) shouldn't there be a way to compensate for those 3.5mm?

I'll throw Velocity an email/call on Monday but I figured one of the rad wheelbuilders might have an answer sooner.

Thanks

ColonelJLloyd
09-08-2013, 10:53 AM
Use this one. http://leonard.io/edd/

echelon_john
09-08-2013, 11:13 AM
Just use the offset number to adjust the center-flange numbers you're using. For example, if the hub is 38mm c-f nds and 19mm c-f ds, subtract the 3.5mm from the 38 and add it to the 19. Usually the difference in spoke length is very minimal, like a mm or less.

saab2000
09-08-2013, 11:29 AM
Give a report on this when you're done and on the wheels themselves when you've ridden them.

I'm very curious if, with a build like this with a hub with excellent geometry and an offset rim, if you can achieve symmetrical spoke lengths or symmetrical spoke tension.

Let us know!

false_Aest
09-08-2013, 11:57 AM
Give a report on this when you're done and on the wheels themselves when you've ridden them.

I'm very curious if, with a build like this with a hub with excellent geometry and an offset rim, if you can achieve symmetrical spoke lengths or symmetrical spoke tension.

Let us know!

Will do! Actually they'll be under me (155lbs), under MicroWatt (117lbs) and under my bud Isaac (5'10" 130lbs soaking wet) for some substantial testing.

I'm pretty excited!