PDA

View Full Version : Breckenridge, CO

gearguywb
09-08-2013, 06:06 AM
After many moves for work the wife and I have been trying (unsuccessfully) to get back to Colorado. We finally went to Breckenridge for the 4th of July weekend and absolutely loved it. Great riding, hiking, close to several 14'ers, and obviously winter sports.

So we took the plunge and bought a ski in/out condo!

Just came back from a week out there. Wow! Did not have a lot of time for riding but we did the single track from Breck to Frisco. Very nice! I coul dnot believe the number of road riders in the area. Anyone have favorite loops?

Dave B
09-08-2013, 08:06 AM
I was there once for 8 days and fell in love with the place. Yeah it can be touristy, but wow was it beautiful. The riding was awesome, the little soup shop next to a bike store and grocery that would make the best soups and these tiny little loaves of bread. Ohh and the crepe cart that had all sorts of sweet and savory dishes.

I stayed at this little resort above the town and as it was in the off season it was much cheaper. I would love to revisit someday with my wife and kids just so they too can see that magical little place.

Ok, so when is the party at your new place? :banana:

Benny Profane
09-08-2013, 01:12 PM
You should eat your Wheaties and go out and do this:

http://www.teamevergreen.org/route

http://www.teamevergreen.org/sites/default/files/TripleBypass2013RouteMaps%2005.04.13.pdf

Then, if you're still feeling spunky, drive down to Idaho Springs, just off of I-70, and climb Mt. Evans.

http://bicyclerace.com

http://bicyclerace.com/docs/2013/BobCook2013CourseMap.pdf

Bradford
09-08-2013, 02:20 PM
If you like a mix of pavement and dirt do a loop that goes over Hoosier Pass, out to Como, over Boreas Pass, and back to Breck. The road can get a little washboard from Como to the bottom of Boreas Pass, but as soon as you hit the climb it gets smooth again.

I do it with wider tires, 28-32, to take the bite out of the dirt part.

Also, although it goes without saying, the Copper triangle is a great day on the bike. You might want to drive to the parking lot at Copper, tacking on the extra mileage to Breck might be a bit much.

If you can get a driver to help, you could ride from Vail or Beaver Creek to Steamboat via 131. Get dropped off and have your driver go spend a nice day in Steamboat. Meet them there grab dinner, and drive back.

If you are interesting in driving a little, there a bunch of rides you can get to that are fantastic.

avalonracing
09-08-2013, 02:39 PM
Congrats!:beer:
When are you having a Paceline Housewarming Party at your new place?

gearguywb
09-08-2013, 05:23 PM
If you like a mix of pavement and dirt do a loop that goes over Hoosier Pass, out to Como, over Boreas Pass, and back to Breck. The road can get a little washboard from Como to the bottom of Boreas Pass, but as soon as you hit the climb it gets smooth again.

I do it with wider tires, 28-32, to take the bite out of the dirt part.

Also, although it goes without saying, the Copper triangle is a great day on the bike. You might want to drive to the parking lot at Copper, tacking on the extra mileage to Breck might be a bit much.

If you can get a driver to help, you could ride from Vail or Beaver Creek to Steamboat via 131. Get dropped off and have your driver go spend a nice day in Steamboat. Meet them there grab dinner, and drive back.

If you are interesting in driving a little, there a bunch of rides you can get to that are fantastic.

Great info..thanks!

Not sure that we can fit everyone from the forum in the condo for a house warming party...and if we did, how many would actually be able to ride the next day! :)

We are hoping that it helps pay for itself with the ski season rental and we plan to use it when not rented out. I am far more interested in the summer and fall anyway :)

Benny Profane
09-08-2013, 05:43 PM
I was there almost this time about ten years ago. About 9/18, sort of. I drove from Boulder to the Vail valley to Evergreen over five days. The Vail valley had the most spectacular golden aspen fall colors. It really is worth while being there at this time. I rented a bike in Vail (an aluminum Fuji of that time) and climbed Vail pass and back. Nice. Bring cold weather stuff. Winter drops in early.

firerescuefin
09-08-2013, 06:10 PM
Congrats...out of all the towns up there...my favorite for a lot of reasons. Great vibe....much less trendy/yuppified/family friendly than Beaver Creek/Vail, great riding...and the skiing is great as well.

Clint's Coffee Shop (Main Street)....has the best pastries and breakfast sandwiches....Period.

Well done:)

10-4
09-08-2013, 08:12 PM
I just got back a couple of weeks ago. A co-worker lived out there for years and pointed out that I just missed the tail end of "monsoon season". I use the term lightly as I have family in southern India, and "monsoon" means different things to different people.....

Anywho....

I'll also vouch for Copper Triangle, did that while out there. But in the end, when I went for a ride (other than the triangle), I just clipped in, looked up, and went. When I started to get tired, I turned back around. I didn't have a single issue with drivers the entire time I was out there, which was probably even more refreshing than the riding itself.

Moral of the story: I was as happy as I've been on a bike since riding Mt. Tam and Marin, and I didn't plan anything. Just rode.

texbike
09-08-2013, 08:18 PM
We are hoping that it helps pay for itself with the ski season rental and we plan to use it when not rented out. I am far more interested in the summer and fall anyway :)

Hmmmm. I'd love to get details. We're planning our family ski trip to Breck right now.

By the way, we loved Fatty's. We've eaten there the last couple of years and loved it.

Texbike

Benny Profane
09-08-2013, 08:44 PM
I just got back a couple of weeks ago. A co-worker lived out there for years and pointed out that I just missed the tail end of "monsoon season". I use the term lightly as I have family in southern India, and "monsoon" means different things to different people.....

Obviously, it isn't as wet as India, but it's similar to the macro weather phenomenon over there. During the day, gulf moisture is pulled north and storms form almost every afternoon over the Rockies. I got caught in one coming down Loveland Pass. Lightning above tree line is not good.

tiretrax
09-08-2013, 09:17 PM
Congratulations, first on the condo, and second that Mrs. Ggwb wanted to do that. Mrs. Tiretrax prefers the ocean.

In addition to Bradford's suggestions, for mountain biking or cx, there is a dirt road up to an abandoned former town above Keystone. I haven't ridden it (I come for the Copper Triangle and ride a lot of the road loops in the area), but it's supposed to be a good ride.

If you are going to VRBO it, be sure to post the link/details here. If you leave a bike, I'd rent that, too because I think we ride the same size bike. Also, I'd be willing to ride the day after the housewarming party!

gearguywb
09-08-2013, 09:38 PM
Thanks everyone! Mrs. GGWB was instrumental in the decision! If anything, she likes it more than I do!! :)

The property is managed through Great Western Lodging. We did put it on VRBO today as well. Here is the link:

http://www.vrbo.com/492950

There is a very nice discount for forum members!

Please excuse the pics....we took them ourselves before we left.