PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Park Tool, I now have a nice gouge in my brand new rim...

Gsinill
09-07-2013, 05:33 PM
Just finished my TB14 wheel build and when I put on new Gatorskins, the tip of my Park Tool tire levers snapped off. I was lucky that I realized it right away but nevertheless I now have a gouge on the edge of the rim :butt:

avalonracing
09-07-2013, 06:03 PM
I have been using a Quik Stik for 20 years. It still the best lever that I have ever tried and I don't know why they aren't more popular. They don't break, they don't scratch and they are inexpensive. I might just have to buy a gross of them and sell them to you guys.

Richard
09-07-2013, 06:07 PM
I've had the same quick stik for about 20 years too. I didn't know they were still made. Beat tire levers, hands down.

Don49
09-07-2013, 06:35 PM
Yeah the Quick Stiks are great and last forever. They used to come in two lengths, the standard length (6"?) and a shorter version for concealed carry.

I sympathize with the OP. I also have a pair of those Park metal core tire levers (TL-6) and could definitely see that happening.

cachagua
09-07-2013, 06:50 PM
Wasn't there another brand of lever that had a steel insert like that? I thought they'd be a good idea and bought a pair, and broke both the first time I tried them.

Sorry to hear about your rim. . . maybe it's more or less hidden, up at the edge? Maybe when the brakes wear the sides a little it won't be too noticeable? Very lovely wheels, even with a little beauty-mark. And the SWEET ride.

gemship
09-07-2013, 07:32 PM
Live and learn. That's nothing. Ever try doing tubeless motorcycle tires by hand? Now your talking and yes try as I may to shield the irons with cut up bleach bottles, I gouged them and they still work. Touched up with black paint:p

it's funny I love the cheap tried and true steel levers I have from the lbs. You need to use three and take small bites and really just try to do it without levers all together. At least the last foot or less.

GeekBoy
09-07-2013, 07:43 PM
I've never seen the need for metal levers. The cheap plastic park ones last me several years (I only need one at a time).

Gsinill
09-07-2013, 08:37 PM
Thanks, yep, not that bad but you know how it goes.
Everything is brand new, you are all exited, got the wheels built and trued and then something like that happens. In 2 weeks it probably won't bother me anymore...

Sorry to hear about your rim. . . maybe it's more or less hidden, up at the edge? Maybe when the brakes wear the sides a little it won't be too noticeable? Very lovely wheels, even with a little beauty-mark. And the SWEET ride.

djg21
09-07-2013, 10:01 PM
I use a Park shop tool at home. It works great removing tires. I never use a lever to put tires on a rim however. I always use Conti GP 4000s tires and can put them on with my thumbs and some elbow grease.

I recently got a Crank Bros Speedier lever for on-road/saddlebag use. I'm generally not in the Crank Bros cult and hate their pedals, but the speedier lever actually works really well.

http://www.crankbrothers.com/tools_speedierlever.php

Don49
09-07-2013, 10:26 PM
I use a Park shop tool at home.
I recently got a Crank Bros Speedier lever for on-road/saddlebag use.Which tool is this?

Ithadan
09-07-2013, 10:29 PM
Which tool is this?

It says "Park Tool" on the handle...

djg21
09-07-2013, 10:37 PM
Which tool is this?

That's the park tl-10 shop tire ever.

The Crank Bros is below

cachagua
09-07-2013, 10:54 PM
That Park is a tire lever? It looks like a cattle prod.

You merely point it at the tire, and it scares it onto the rim?

Louis
09-07-2013, 11:13 PM
That Park is a tire lever? It looks like a cattle prod.

You merely point it at the tire, and it scares it onto the rim?

The "fork" part snaps onto the axle, and you slip the other end over the rim and spin the whole thing around, which pushes the tire bead over the rim. The Crank Bros tool has the same "slip it over the rim" part, which you then guide by hand around the rim.

They're useful, but still won't do a super-tough job if the tire just won't go the last few inches. For that I still have to resort to levers.

rice rocket
09-07-2013, 11:38 PM
http://www.ronnadetrick.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/sharpie1.jpg

PSC
09-07-2013, 11:43 PM
If I can't put a tire on with my hands, not sure if I want to use it. Never had a problem mounting a tire with proper technique.

Louis
09-07-2013, 11:50 PM
If I can't put a tire on with my hands, not sure if I want to use it. Never had a problem mounting a tire with proper technique.

I may be wrong, but I think this more likely due to luck in your choice of rims and tires than any special technique and "magic fingers" you may have. Some are super-tough.

fogrider
09-08-2013, 02:17 AM
I may be wrong, but I think this more likely due to luck in your choice of rims and tires than any special technique and "magic fingers" you may have. Some are super-tough.

there are a few modern tires that are crazy hard to put on the first time. and those steel core levers are junk...the core is metal but it looks like the same kind of metal they use in paper clips.

Tony T
09-08-2013, 07:23 AM
Michelin are the best, but hard to find:
http://tenerife-training.net/Tenerife-News-Cycling-Blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/michelin-tire-levers.jpg

Next best:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41H-V-ozM-L._SY300_.jpg

oldpotatoe
09-08-2013, 07:33 AM
Just finished my TB14 wheel build and when I put on new Gatorskins, the tip of my Park Tool tire levers snapped off. I was lucky that I realized it right away but nevertheless I now have a gouge on the edge of the rim :butt:

Using a tire lever to install a tire on these? They didn't seem that tight to me...

Gsinill
09-08-2013, 07:48 AM
One was installed before and was easy to put on by hand. The other one was brand new and the last 15 cm were kind of PITA.
Could have tried harder, but "hey I got those wonderful PT levers...".
Lesson learned!
Using a tire lever to install a tire on these? They didn't seem that tight to me...

pdmtong
09-08-2013, 08:22 AM
Sometimes it also depends on how much tire you are trying to pry onto the rim with the lever. When its really tight it takes smaller increments or I take out the big park metal iron and carefully leverage the tire on. Think pr4 on kysriums

Sorry that happened. Reminder to all bad luck happens