PDA

View Full Version : Record/SR crankset prices

Steve530
09-06-2013, 04:58 PM
I'm thinking of replacing my crankset with a Record or Super Record crankset. I've noticed that the SR cranks are sometimes cheaper than the Record cranks. This seems to be true for the models that are a couple of years old.

Is there some reason that the SR would be cheaper? Is SR somehow less desirable?

Tony T
09-06-2013, 05:27 PM
SR is always more expensive. (given equal wears/miles on used). Difference is weight, more Ti in SR.

FlashUNC
09-06-2013, 05:31 PM
Super Record also is missing a set of seats on the bearings that Record has.

bfd
09-06-2013, 05:37 PM
SR is always more expensive. (given equal wears/miles on used). Difference is weight, more Ti in SR.

Besides being expensive, supposedly SR ti cranksets has had problems with the hirth joint breaking.

However, maybe the real reason SR/Record cranks are "cheaper" is that Campy is doing away with this style of crank and will be selling "Over-Torque" technology:

http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/tech/id_31.jsp

I don't know if its a translation problem, but "Over-Torque" just doesn't sound right....makes me think of "Broken Bolts!" :eek::butt::no::mad:

Good Luck!

Steve530
09-06-2013, 05:41 PM
So if I c an buy a 2012 SR crank for the same prices as a 2012 SR, should I buy the SR?

zmudshark
09-06-2013, 06:54 PM
So if I c an buy a 2012 SR crank for the same prices as a 2012 SR, should I buy the SR?Yes. both will be the same :rolleyes:

Steve530
09-06-2013, 07:05 PM
Yes. both will be the same :rolleyes:

Oops. What I meant is if the prices are the same, should I buy the Record or Super record.

bfd
09-06-2013, 07:56 PM
Oops. What I meant is if the prices are the same, should I buy the Record or Super record.

If they're the same price, then you are either overpaying for the Record or undertaking for the SR. Get the better deal as the weight is minimal. Good Luck!:banana:

Steve530
09-06-2013, 08:07 PM
Thanks. I thought there might be some problem with the SR models that I didn't know about.

Tony T
09-06-2013, 09:14 PM
Also, titanium semi-axles are an option on SR (and has a left-handed thread attaching bolt), and the SR comes with CULT ceramic bearings.

dd74
09-06-2013, 09:31 PM
I have both Record and Super Record cranks. The difference between Ti axles, CULT bearings, etc. is...small.

Split the difference and get Chorus.

oldpotatoe
09-07-2013, 07:38 AM
Besides being expensive, supposedly SR ti cranksets has had problems with the hirth joint breaking.

However, maybe the real reason SR/Record cranks are "cheaper" is that Campy is doing away with this style of crank and will be selling "Over-Torque" technology:

http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/tech/id_31.jsp

I don't know if its a translation problem, but "Over-Torque" just doesn't sound right....makes me think of "Broken Bolts!" :eek::butt::no::mad:

Good Luck!

Hirth joint breaking...not really....It isn't an 'almost gotta recall these problems', as you imply.

"Following the CampagnoloŽ philosophy of keeping the bearings at the widest stance possible with a large diameter axle the Over-Torque™ construction has an extremely wide stance for bearings in addition to a 30mm axle diameter."

BB30..UT cranks not going away.

SR, ti spindle, Cult bearings...Record- USB bearings, steel spindle..

Older SR cranks had steel spindle and different graphics..when anything 'new' comes out, even if only graphics, mailorder will discount quickly and deeply...

Tony T
09-07-2013, 08:25 AM
SR, ti spindle, Cult bearings...Record- USB bearings, steel spindle...

I thought that the Ti spindle was optional on SR ("...and the option with titanium axle (http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/groupsetdetail/item_guarSRST_catid_12.jsp)"). I have a 2012 SR w/o the Ti spindle.

oldpotatoe
09-07-2013, 08:49 AM
I thought that the Ti spindle was optional on SR ("...and the option with titanium axle (http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/groupsetdetail/item_guarSRST_catid_12.jsp)"). I have a 2012 SR w/o the Ti spindle.

It is an option but no Campagnolo distributor I have talked to in the US brought any steel spindle, SR cranks, in....

Tony T
09-07-2013, 08:53 AM
Bought mine from a local Campy dealer on a build they did for me, so there's at least one ;)
(at the time, I didn't know about the "option", and when I was cleaning the bearings, I was surprised that it wasn't the Ti spindle with the left hand treaded bolt)

Steve530
09-07-2013, 08:55 AM

Older SR cranks had steel spindle and different graphics..when anything 'new' comes out, even if only graphics, mailorder will discount quickly and deeply...

I think that's the answer to the question of why the SR cranks would be cheaper than a Record crank. I've been looking at 2012 SR cranks with the steel spindle.

Tony T
09-07-2013, 09:01 AM
Still, even with the steel spindle, the 2012 SR has the CULT ceramic bearings.
Where are you seeing a 2012 SR cheaper than a 2012 Record?
(...could be that the SR has few in stock and they want to clean-out inventory)

lhuerta
09-07-2013, 09:36 AM

...and likely only in the small unpopular crank lengths.

Steve530
09-07-2013, 10:25 AM

Velomine.