PDA

View Full Version : Mechanical Watches & Shifting

MattTuck
09-06-2013, 08:09 AM
The more I talk to people in manufacturing, the more it seems that electronic shifting is an easier/cheaper alternative to building and designing mechanical shifting assemblies. I haven't seen any actual cost breakdowns, but folks that do manufacturing suggest that after the up front R&D, production of electronic parts is much cheaper on a per unit basis.

This may be the unstoppable march of progress, and may be where the sport is going, at all levels (low end through high end). If that happens, what becomes of mechanical shifting? Does it become a relic? Will it demand a price premium like mechanical watches today command a premium over digital counterparts?

redir
09-06-2013, 08:15 AM
Yeah I think you will see it at all levels very soon. Like anything there will be a vintage market and some bits will be worth a lot more than others. Perhaps a good investment would be to buy the last mechanical Record and Dura - Ace group... Yeah that's what I'll tell my wife after we just bought a new house :D

oldpotatoe
09-06-2013, 08:34 AM
The more I talk to people in manufacturing, the more it seems that electronic shifting is an easier/cheaper alternative to building and designing mechanical shifting assemblies. I haven't seen any actual cost breakdowns, but folks that do manufacturing suggest that after the up front R&D, production of electronic parts is much cheaper on a per unit basis.

This may be the unstoppable march of progress, and may be where the sport is going, at all levels (low end through high end). If that happens, what becomes of mechanical shifting? Does it become a relic? Will it demand a price premium like mechanical watches today command a premium over digital counterparts?

I think a derailleur with a motor in it, plus the processor and battery is MUCH more expensive to make than a simple shifter set and set of derailleurs. I doubt any motorized derailleur, processor, battery will be as inexpensive to make some of the shifters/derailleurs available now...some ders are in the $15 range, retail, and even at that, the manufacturer is still making money.

http://www.jensonusa.com/!K4k-FwDj0NF4rCZfiIsqaQ!/Shimano-Tourney-TX55-Rear-Derailleur?utm_source=FRGL&utm_medium=organic&gclid=COKo5MTxtrkCFfE-MgodvkEAog

AngryScientist
09-06-2013, 08:36 AM
I think a derailleur with a motor in it, plus the processor and battery is MUCH more expensive to make than a simple shifter set and set of derailleurs. I doubt any motorized derailleur, processor, battery will be as inexpensive to make some of the shifters/derailleurs available now...some ders are in the $15 range, retail, and even at that, the manufacturer is still making money.

http://www.jensonusa.com/!K4k-FwDj0NF4rCZfiIsqaQ!/Shimano-Tourney-TX55-Rear-Derailleur?utm_source=FRGL&utm_medium=organic&gclid=COKo5MTxtrkCFfE-MgodvkEAog

i agree with this. derailleurs are very, very simple mechanisms with simple pivot points. making them with a motor is essentially the cost of the mechanical part + the motor. definitely cheaper to mass produce the mechanical gismo than the electronic one.

Gsinill
09-06-2013, 08:44 AM
Apples and oranges: in a digital watch there are 0 mechanical components anymore whereas electronic shifting adds on top of the mechanics.

Maybe a better comparison would be stick vs. electronic (i.e. paddle) shifting shifting in a car?

Mark McM
09-06-2013, 09:26 AM
i agree with this. derailleurs are very, very simple mechanisms with simple pivot points. making them with a motor is essentially the cost of the mechanical part + the motor. definitely cheaper to mass produce the mechanical gismo than the electronic one.

Absolutely agree. An electronic shifting system has all the mechanical components of traditional systems, with the addition of electronic components. Thus, added costs for the added components of the electronic systems.

The electronic components don't replace the function of the mechanical components, they replace (or add to) functions that the human operator provided.

MattTuck
09-06-2013, 09:48 AM
The current mechanical systems have simple derailleurs and complex brifters. Electronic shifting offers a mechanically more complex derailleur, but there are no shifting mechanics in the brifter. Just an electronic switch.

I'm not familiar with the product that Peter posted, but I'd wager the brifters cost more than the derailleur. With electronic shifting, we may find that the real action (and cost) is in the derailleur, while the brifters are much less costly.

Apples and oranges: in a digital watch there are 0 mechanical components anymore whereas electronic shifting adds on top of the mechanics.

Maybe a better comparison would be stick vs. electronic (i.e. paddle) shifting shifting in a car?

Absolutely agree. An electronic shifting system has all the mechanical components of traditional systems, with the addition of electronic components. Thus, added costs for the added components of the electronic systems.

The electronic components don't replace the function of the mechanical components, they replace (or add to) functions that the human operator provided.