PDA

View Full Version : Riding in Corbett Oregon?

William
09-05-2013, 02:12 PM
Can anyone in the NW tell me whether there are any good rides in the area?

Thanks!
William

krhea
09-05-2013, 02:38 PM
Can anyone in the NW tell me whether there are any good rides in the area?

Thanks!
William

You can't really ride "in" Corbett OR...it's only about 3 blocks long! However, if you enjoy climbing...and it's a must, there are amazing roads "around" Corbett OR. I/we ride that area a few times per week.

But, ya gotta be prepared to climb. If you want details hit me with a PM and I'll load you up with routes including the amazing Larch Mtn climb to the Sherrard Lookout Point. Corbett to Cascade Locks on the newly finished, as of two weeks ago, Columbia Scenic bikeway, Corbett to Sandy OR through the Sandy River valley, Corbett to Marmot or Welches depending on how long a ride you want and on and on.

Truly a cycling wonderland out that way. Give me a call and I'd happy to "ride lead".

KRhea

KRhea

Louis
09-05-2013, 02:46 PM
William, are you sure you want to go there?

I hear all the rides are just a bit north of boring. ;)

(must be a pretty common joke around there)

bcm119
09-05-2013, 02:49 PM
I used to do a time trial that started in Corbett and went up Larch Mtn. Beautiful, long, not too steep, forested climb. I'm sure there are other great roads in the area.

pdxharth
09-05-2013, 03:33 PM
Sounds like KRhea has you covered, but generally speaking when I head east out of Portland, I think of Corbett as where the good riding begins. All kinds of nice roads out that way.

Have fun.

Harth

krhea
09-05-2013, 11:23 PM
One of my favorite routes in the Corbett,OR area: 32miles/3,700' of climbing

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2177137

KRhea

William
09-06-2013, 06:05 AM
Nice! Thanks for the map and suggestions. I've ridden a lot of Oregon, but not this area.

Hmm, for such a small place, they have a top ranked HS.

William

wasfast
09-06-2013, 06:19 AM
The more exposed areas, especially around Women's Forum and Crown Point can get REALLY windy depending on the day. Hood River didn't become the windsurfing capital for no reason.

Speaking of Hood River, if you're already going East, there is another fabulous section to ride between Hood River and The Dallas. The switchbacks in Rowena are stunning.

skijoring
09-06-2013, 08:00 AM
Does anyone know if there is still a 'thumbtack spreader' in Corbett? Used to be rampant in the 90's. Myself and pals had numerous incidents up there.

Caltrops!

Climb01742
09-06-2013, 08:34 AM
Nice! Thanks for the map and suggestions. I've ridden a lot of Oregon, but not this area.

Hmm, for such a small place, they have a top ranked HS.

William

Thinking of moving there, William?

krhea
09-06-2013, 11:29 AM
Does anyone know if there is still a 'thumbtack spreader' in Corbett? Used to be rampant in the 90's. Myself and pals had numerous incidents up there.

Caltrops!

That was many many years ago so no, he's no longer "in action" and was caught.