PDA

View Full Version : What will I ride? They all are gone or for sale!

Frank
01-01-2006, 01:06 PM
I never thought this would happen, but I don't have a road bike built up for me...or a frame to build up that isn't sold or for sale!

I wanted to make a significant change in bike life so I decided to sell all I currently had. I listed a Bianchi and Rossin (first Rossin buyer had financial issues) on eBay Friday

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7208535285

and the Bianchi sold. I have the Tommasini SLX Super Prestige on a couple of bike lists but will probably have better success listing it on eBay this spring.

I am to the point all I have left that isn't for sale is a Campy-equipped 53cm Pinarello Stelvio that I bought as a complete bike a couple of months back. I was going to try and sell it locally as a complete bike because it is all Pinarello-themed (seatpost, saddle, pedals, etc) and I didn't want to ship a complete bike or take it apart and part it out. Somewhat limited buying market here in OK so hasn't sold yet.

I haven't had it out but a couple of times for short rides, but it rode nice and Campy stuff worked well. The main issue with keeping it would be it has Campy stuff and all my tools and parts are Shimano. It is the same size and probably geometry as a Merckx I rode for quite a while and liked, so maybe I will give the "little guy" a chance :)

shinomaster
01-01-2006, 02:04 PM
Franko...I wish I had your problems....I hope you don't regret selling everything! That stuff isn't gonna be a round for ever! Maybe you should get a new Vanilla.

Happy New Year!

CNY rider
01-01-2006, 03:28 PM
Frank are you sure you're not trapped in some bad dream? Aren't you worried that one day this spring you are going to wish you never did this purge?

It's not too late to keep the Tommasini is it?

If I didn't have a Mariposa cooking in Toronto, and 3 roadies in the basement already, we would be doing business again. I really like the look of that Rossin.

mflaherty37
01-01-2006, 03:53 PM
The campy tools you would need are not too major of an expense.

eddief
01-01-2006, 03:58 PM
and nice proportions (I guess that speaks of you and the bike) and is that a Murex or Mantis stem? Nice bike.

shaq-d
01-01-2006, 04:44 PM
that pina looks really good. sweet bike.

anyway, like mflaherty said, u only need a few campy tools. the bottom bracket and cassette tool is just one tool for both. u mgiht need a 32mm headset wrench. that's about it.

sd

Ti Designs
01-01-2006, 05:31 PM
I don't see the problem. Pick up a fixed gear and ride that until March. That gives you 2 months to come up with next season's road bike...

Frank
01-01-2006, 09:03 PM
more than tools being an issue long-term when I mentioned this Pinarello being a Campy-equipped bike. I have quite a few Shimano Ultegra components (cranks, shifters, bb, wheelsets, cassettes) that I have bought since the bikes I have ridden for the past few years have all had those type parts. I am sure the Campy stuff is great, but I plan to use the Ultegra stuff I have since it makes it easier for me to just have parts that can be easily switched back and forth.
==================
eddief, it is a 3T stem, not sure which model.
=================
Thanks for the compliments on the Pinarello. I think I will ride it a few more times as is and, if the bike fit works for me, may sell the gruppo off and build it up with the higher-end and better quality Shimano Ultegra components ;) Just kidding about the comparison for those who might be so considering waging battle number 1,625,333 in the Shimano\Campy wars!

toaster
01-01-2006, 10:14 PM
Why does the fork on your yellow Pinarello look like it's slightly bent backward? It probably isn't, it just appears so in the photo.

Frank
01-01-2006, 11:42 PM
Why does the fork on your yellow Pinarello look like it's slightly bent backward? It probably isn't, it just appears so in the photo.

Probably the original owner hit a wall because everyone knows Campy brakes don't work as well as Shimano ;)

Seriously, though, I did go look and the fork is fine. I imagine what you might be seeing is the angle I had the bike turned when shooting pics of the bike. I was trying to get the sun shining on all the bike as much as possible even though the sun was not directly shining on the Serotta-picture forum required and approved white outside garage door, making me shoot from the side of the bike.

Frank
01-02-2006, 07:02 PM
that pina looks really good. sweet bike.

anyway, like mflaherty said, u only need a few campy tools. the bottom bracket and cassette tool is just one tool for both. u mgiht need a 32mm headset wrench. that's about it.

sd

"Italian components, Yankee ingenuity" :)

I decided to take the opportunity of being off work today to take the Campagnolo components off the Pinarello. The only parts I had any concern with were the cranks and bottom bracket.

I took everything else off and started on the cranks. The crankbolt came right out with an 8mm hex. The cranks themselves came right off using one of my old crank remover tools that I hadn't used in years since my Ultegra cranks have the one-key release system.

That left only the bottom bracket. It has 6 notches on the outside of the ring, which none of my tools fit. I looked it over a while and decided to at least give something a try since my closest bike shop is 100 miles away.

I first sprayed the bottom bracket cups with Kroil penetrating oil just to help loosen stuff up if it needed it. I then wrapped the outside of the lockring in electrical tape. I then gripped the lockring with a round rubber circle blanket thing that is used to get a good grip on a jar lid.

I then took my trusty 14" pipe wrench out of my tool box (not my bike tool box!!!) and gently placed it on the electrical-tape-rubber-gripped-coated-lockring and gave it a try. If the lockring didn't come off easily, I wasn't going to take a chance on tearing up the lock ring because I figured if it didn't work I could still borrow or buy the tool or take it to the bike shop.

To my pleasant surprise, the lockring turned and loosened from the bottom bracket shell. I took off the gripper and tape and was able to take an old chromed bike tool that has a rectangular hook on one end (hole on other end for taking off square bottom bracket rings) and by working very slowly and patiently was able to remove the lock ring. I did the same thing on the drive side, with the same positive results.

I am now basking in that "man-thing glow" knowing I managed to use some ingenuity to solve a problem without the proper tools or having to take the bike to a bike shop 100 miles from here. Even better yet, there was no damage or marks at all on the lockring or drive side cups.

Having had such a positive experience with this effort, can a bike with do-it-yourself S&S velcro fasteners be far behind? ;)

weisan
01-02-2006, 08:01 PM
I am now basking in that "man-thing glow"
Frankie, I want to see that. Can you post a pic? :)
You and me need to show the boys and girls how to take a bike apart and put it back together using our regular fork and spoon. :D

Frank
01-02-2006, 09:06 PM
Frankie, I want to see that. Can you post a pic? :)
You and me need to show the boys and girls how to take a bike apart and put it back together using our regular fork and spoon. :D

Glad my daughter can use the digital camera :D