PDA

View Full Version : Successful repair of an ultegra 6700 lever

spartanKid
09-04-2013, 10:56 PM
A few months ago I had 6700 front lever crap out on me. Wouldn't downshift/release cable.

I relegated it to the 1x cross bike.

But while riding around and futzing with the shift paddle it all of a sudden started to WORK again. Effin' weird.

So I took the lever apart as much as I could and I found that the shifting mechanism inside would wiggle side to side. If it was wiggled too far towards the direction in which the lever paddles are depressed, then it wouldn't shift. BUT if you wiggled the mechanism back into the correct orientation, it would shift fine.

I removed the lever and looked around inside. Much to my surprise there was the end of a bolt visible in the back of the lever body. I could see there was also a 3mm hex head visible near the band of the lever. Same bolt.

This bolt was clearly meant to have a nut on it; a rectangular slot was even pre-cut in the plastic body.

After taking off the inner plastic piece one normally removes to re-thread the cable, I noticed that there was a tiny set-screw in the same threads as the screw that holds the plastic piece on. Using a 1mm hex key I loosened the set screw and was able to press out the aforementioned bolt.

Turns out the threads are 8-32, an NOT metric, much to my surprise. I had some 8-32 hex nuts that thread on well but didn't fit in the rectangular slot. There is also not enough thread to have the nut rest over top the slot.

Dremel tool time. I dremeled down the width of the nut basically down to having ~1/16th" of steel left on either side, so the nut was oblong. Perfect fit in the rectangular slot. Tightened down the nut, put a dab of threadlock on top of it, tightened down the set screw, re-installed the paddles, installed a new shift cable, and re installed the plastic piece. Voila. Works great.

NJC
09-08-2013, 11:46 PM
Shifters have always been something of a black box to me, and I have a similar set that are running ragged . . .