PDA

View Full Version : Square Taper BB.....Token, Origin 8, Omni Racer, etc

Ralph
09-04-2013, 02:59 PM
These BB's are on E Bay for pretty cheap price.....$36 free shipping. All seem the same. They advertise two bearings, while Campy advertises 3 with two on drive side.

I am in need of a Square taper for my daily rider sweat on bike. Cheaper the better if they work. I don't ride in rain....ever. Will one of thse last a while? New version Centaur pretty cheap also. I have never worn out a BB....ever. (probably never kept a crankset long enough) Hate to spend more than necessary.

john segal
09-04-2013, 03:07 PM
They're fine. Really.
Install it. Ride it.

Ralph
09-04-2013, 03:18 PM
They're fine. Really.
Install it. Ride it.

Thanks for reply. It's kind of embarrassing, after 40 years of wrenching, must have over TQ'ed right hand cup of Centaur 111, then stripped removal threads trying to take out for annual regreasing of cups. Usually use a short skewer with some washers to hold tool in place, didn't this time. I know better. BB still OK, not frozen, just tight, but I don't like to have parts on bike I can't remove. So probably have to cut cup out, or make a notch and hammer it out. Any rate....will soon need a new BB. Never too old to screw up and learn.

oldpotatoe
09-04-2013, 04:18 PM
Thanks for reply. It's kind of embarrassing, after 40 years of wrenching, must have over TQ'ed right hand cup of Centaur 111, then stripped removal threads trying to take out for annual regreasing of cups. Usually use a short skewer with some washers to hold tool in place, didn't this time. I know better. BB still OK, not frozen, just tight, but I don't like to have parts on bike I can't remove. So probably have to cut cup out, or make a notch and hammer it out. Any rate....will soon need a new BB. Never too old to screw up and learn.

I have a cup-for that BB..
origin are fine, just the taper 'seems' a little large..I'm sure 2 degrees but the few I have installed, the chainline isn't the same as a Centaur.