PDA

View Full Version : Who is getting excited for cyclocross!?

Lovetoclimb
09-04-2013, 01:21 PM
Nice little video posted on VeloNews this afternoon. Not sure what the missing link(s) is/are, but I want to be able to deftly accelerate through the turns like he Sven does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcsjjBrZBug&feature=player_embedded

FlashUNC
09-04-2013, 01:37 PM
I think its safe to say Sven Nys is better than me at bicycles.

efuentes
09-04-2013, 01:43 PM
The smoothness :eek:

jt2gt
09-04-2013, 01:55 PM
Smoothness...and accelaration. Man...most of the vid he looks like he is going 25%. Then when he turns it on (which probably isn't really turning it on for him), he is gone. Damn.:eek:

JT

MattTuck
09-04-2013, 02:09 PM
I want a cyclo-cross bike :(

That video was like watching a lion play with a mouse.

speed
09-04-2013, 02:13 PM
http://www.connectedmarketer.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Borat-VeryNice-234x300.jpg

Lanterne Rouge
09-04-2013, 02:25 PM
Oh the pain and indignity of cyclocross racing.

But yes I will race and this season I get to ride as a master thanks to my advancing years (a somewhat deceptive title as I’ve far from masterful), although if getting soundly beaten by my elders is any better then getting soundly beaten by youngsters remains to be seen.

JStonebarger
09-04-2013, 02:27 PM
Yeah, as of the beginning of cross season I've "upgraded" to the 50+ category. If only they were any slower!

jpw
09-04-2013, 02:52 PM
at 2:00 he's...bye bye!

was that a lost pyramid?

He's on a Colnago canti, but i see Colnago has gone disc-only for CX. Is that right?

i wonder what size tires he was on?

gavingould
09-04-2013, 03:29 PM
he may still be on last year's bike. reportedly some of the big names in europe don't want to go canti yet, so their sponsors either had custom canti frames made or they're riding something else under sponsor paint. some of them tried disc in a few races last year and apparently didn't like the brakes or the weight difference. the US folks (Powers, Johnson et al Cannondale/CyclocrossWorld, etc) didn't seem to mind, but when someone is giving you the stuff you generally don't argue i guess - unless you're Sven Nys or any of the other recent World Champs.

as for me, yeah, i'm ready to start getting stomped again. still gonna be the punching bag at the back end of the 3's or masters30+

mtb_frk
09-04-2013, 04:20 PM
My first race is this weekend. I tried to take a different approach this year to my training. I didn't. I decided to just ride my bike and not worry about training which means lots of dirt road miles and some barrier work. I am not expecting much but I am going into season feeling like I want to race instead of being burned out. Last year I trained and had really good power numbers and low motivation which put me at that back of the cat 3 race. So, I can't do much worse and hopefully I have more fun.

oldpotatoe
09-04-2013, 04:22 PM
at 2:00 he's...bye bye!

was that a lost pyramid?

He's on a Colnago canti, but i see Colnago has gone disc-only for CX. Is that right?

i wonder what size tires he was on?

We'll see if he has a canti or disc bike..I vote canti for the high end Euros...unless $ says otherwise...and even then, for pix he'll have the disc but his 'A' bike will have cantis.

Bruce K
09-04-2013, 05:06 PM
Limited season this year as I am WAY behind in miles/training

If I race it will be just for fun (even more do than ever) and will include Suckerbrook (NH), Orchard Cross (NH), Canton Cup (NA), and Ice Weasels (MA).

BK

alembical
09-04-2013, 06:39 PM
I am way out of shape this year. Raced last weekend and had a blast. One of the things I love about cross racing. How much fun you have and how well you do are not directly related. Wish I could keep up with my buddies and their super long mountain bike rides or 100+ mile gravel rides, but I can't. 45 minutes to an hour and a half, that I can handle, albeit not pretty or well, but still fun... and thus the cross love from me.

Lovetoclimb
09-04-2013, 08:36 PM
I recently read somewhere (Velo, CNews, BikeRumor) that Nys will be riding a Trek for 2013/14 season. Not sure if this means he is joining the Trek CX Collective or his current team is picking up Trek as frame sponsor. Either way I guess he still has options on brakes.

alessandro
09-04-2013, 10:10 PM
I want a cyclo-cross bike :(

Me too. But turn that frown upside down--maybe somebody will give you a mud-encrusted cx machine if you're smiling.

Saw this today on the internets:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BS1_rhKCIAELThe.jpg

pdmtong
09-04-2013, 11:24 PM
yup...got daughter to line up again

Gummee
09-05-2013, 06:09 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BS1_rhKCIAELThe.jpg

I still have a set of those MAFAC brakes. Only reason I stopped running em was toe-in. ...and yes I know about the 'bend it!' method of toe-in on em.

Now that the Inplace pad holders are out, I may just break em out again.

M