PDA

View Full Version : Choosing components old vs new

Spoonito
09-04-2013, 08:56 AM
Been searching around for some good deals on parts for a build. What generally would be a better buy older components (ultegra) or new take offs (105)?

This is what in looking at:

Full 2007 ultegra groupset w/ ~1800 miles, pictures show pretty good condition

New take off components from 2012/2013 of Shim 105

Roughly the same price. I know technology changes / trickles down so what would be better? Would the older ultegra still trump the new stuff?

JAGI410
09-04-2013, 09:17 AM
I'd take new 105, especially if it has the new under tape cable routing.

pdmtong
09-04-2013, 09:25 AM

me too. cleaner.

josephr
09-04-2013, 09:28 AM

+1...the under-wrap cabling looks so much better than the wires sticking out of the sides. I've got new 105 on one bike and older Ultegra on another. I can't really tell a difference in shifting...maybe the shifting throw on the 105 is a little longer?? If so, I can't feel a difference.
Joe

bloody sunday
09-04-2013, 10:00 AM
+1...the under-wrap cabling looks so much better than the wires sticking out of the sides. I've got new 105 on one bike and older Ultegra on another. I can't really tell a difference in shifting...maybe the shifting throw on the 105 is a little longer?? If so, I can't feel a difference.
Joe

the new under-cables were a huge factor in the buying my new bike.

josephr
09-04-2013, 10:03 AM
the new under-cables were a huge factor in the buying my new bike.

once you go under-wrap cabling, you never go back! :)

Spoonito
09-04-2013, 10:07 AM
So it seems the consensus is newer 105 as long as its under tape routing.

Thanks all.

bloody sunday
09-04-2013, 10:38 AM
once you go under-wrap cabling, you never go back! :)

What amazed me was that SRAM and Campagnolo have been doing it for years

Spoonito
09-04-2013, 10:53 AM
Dang it... Looks like the 105 group I was eyeing is sold... So, question now is old Ultegra, older Sram Rival (non carbon levers), or move up to a newer Sram Force for more money... Would love to do the Force as my current bike is built up with a mixed set of Red and Force (spec'd by previous owner), but on a 2nd bike (CX frame going to be used for commuter / bad weather / training) don't know if I can justify unless I start cross racing... Hmmm.

bloody sunday
09-04-2013, 11:11 AM
Dang it... Looks like the 105 group I was eyeing is sold... So, question now is old Ultegra, older Sram Rival (non carbon levers), or move up to a newer Sram Force for more money... Would love to do the Force as my current bike is built up with a mixed set of Red and Force (spec'd by previous owner), but on a 2nd bike (CX frame going to be used for commuter / bad weather / training) don't know if I can justify unless I start cross racing... Hmmm.

as much as it pains me to say it, I would go with newer force.

josephr
09-04-2013, 12:27 PM
What amazed me was that SRAM and Campagnolo have been doing it for years

Shimano certainly lagged in that category in not letting that part trickle down through the groups soon enough. Along with keeping those buttons shifters for the Sora line.
Joe