PDA

View Full Version : Brooks Saddle suggestions??

camchris1
09-04-2013, 08:55 AM
Hi All,
Looking for any suggestions on a Brooks saddle model. I owned one several years ago but it was just too wide for me. No idea what model (it was pretty inexpensive).
I'd like to use it on my commuter/light touring rig. I had hoped to find a synthetic saddle comfy enough for the job but so far no luck (synthetic to avoid the leather/rain issues).
I'll continue to look over the Brooks site. My local LBS do not have a wide variety in stock so seeing them in person has been a little tough.

Thanks!
Chris

Germany_chris
09-04-2013, 09:07 AM
B17 narrow

Swallow

JAGI410
09-04-2013, 09:16 AM
How is the saddle to handlebar drop on your bike?

Saddle below bars =B68/B17 Flyer

Saddle even/slightly below bars = B17/B17 narrow

Saddle slightly above bars = Professional/Swift

Saddle above bars= Swallow

sg8357
09-04-2013, 09:35 AM
Use Jags chart then buy from Wallingford bike, they have a 6 month
return policy on Brooks and Berthoud.

A two bolt setback seat post is good idea, Brooks can be angle sensitive.

Dromen
09-04-2013, 10:09 AM
Love my swallows. They bottom out with Thompson post clamps. Wrap and staple a piece of flatted tube at contact point and the bottoming out is gone.

Ken Robb
09-04-2013, 11:00 AM
Much to my surprise I found that an Arione is almost as comfy for me as my B-17 so it might work for you too. A Brooks Pro looks like a narrower B-17 and that works well for me too. For me saddle comfort seems to be more about the shape and contour of the saddle than the width. When those are correct my weight and thereby pressure is distributed over a fairly large area of my body rather than being concentrated around my sit-bones.

Vinci
09-04-2013, 11:57 AM
I'm not sure how much of a problem rain really is in the end. I commute on my Brooks (B17 narrow imperial) in the rain all the time without cover or special treatment, and it's holding up just fine. I am pretty lightweight, though, so maybe that is a factor.

camchris1
09-04-2013, 12:12 PM
WOW...

Thanks all! Such great suggestions! Time to process all this!