PDA

View Full Version : Anti-seize compound?

Bkat
09-03-2013, 07:49 PM
Installing an aluminum seat post into an IF frame with their ubiquitous composite seat tube inserts. They are very clear that you should not use carbon friction compound, but should I use Anti-Seize Compound (i.e. Park Tool ASC-1) or is that verboten too?

merlincustom1
09-03-2013, 08:51 PM
I'd use either that or grease.

sales guy
09-03-2013, 09:23 PM
I've used the gold Finish Line Ti Prep. Works fine. But I've also used the white Finish Line Lithium Grease. If you use grease, just pull it every so often, clean and repeat. You'll be fine.

mike p
09-03-2013, 09:59 PM
I'd just use regular old grease and pull it out clean and regrease every six months and you'll be fine. Never seize is silver and seems to get on everything! Pain to clean. Unnecessary.

Mike

sales guy
09-03-2013, 10:25 PM
Yeah, the silver gets everywhere. So does the gold. It is overkill. But you don't have to pull and clean it.

cfox
09-04-2013, 04:29 AM
I've spoken to IF about using carbon paste. The only reason they have that in their info sheet that comes with the frame is because a few folks with slightly over-sized seatposts got their posts stuck using carbon paste. There is no chemical reaction or anything between the insert and carbon paste. It depends on the post; some come slightly under-sized, some over. I use a Thomson, which are under-sized, and use carbon paste on my IF frame (I've taken it out easily many times). They said it was fine.

oldpotatoe
09-04-2013, 07:24 AM
Installing an aluminum seat post into an IF frame with their ubiquitous composite seat tube inserts. They are very clear that you should not use carbon friction compound, but should I use Anti-Seize Compound (i.e. Park Tool ASC-1) or is that verboten too?

Use either antisieze or grease.

I use Permatex antisieze, less expensive than bike repackaged stuff, same 'stuff', and grease is oil in soap. You can use bike packaged grease for more $ or just grease. I get 1/2 Lithium and 1/2 blue boat grease-mix..about $5 for 500 gram tub.

oldpotatoe
09-04-2013, 07:25 AM
Yeah, the silver gets everywhere. So does the gold. It is overkill. But you don't have to pull and clean it.

I wouldn't say that...

"I donno, I took the seatpost out 5 years ago and cleaned it and re-antisiezed it, can't believe it's stuck"..

I recommend taking seatposts out-clean, relube annually.

sales guy
09-04-2013, 08:11 AM
Old,
I'm talking about pulling and cleaning like every couple months. Vs every year during a full overhaul or something.

Bkat
09-04-2013, 08:43 AM
Thanks all! Their instruction sheet worried me a bit, but you've put my mind at ease about greasing the seat post.