PDA

View Full Version : serotta xc mountain bike

jerry
12-31-2005, 05:08 PM
Am buying one, likely built as a 29er -- anyone have experience with that style vs standard mountain 26? Will use for trails and touring (rail trails, towpaths, etc), equip with new SRAM stuff. thanks.

DfCas
12-31-2005, 05:24 PM
Here's a link to the mtbr 29 forum where a guy discusses his Ti Max.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=138060&highlight=serotta

This is my 3rd winter on a 29 (I don't mtb in the summer) and I would not consider another 26.I haven't had anything as nice as a Serotta,but I can say the 29 format is great.

For the last few weeks,the 29 forum is now the busiest forum in the mtbr empire,rising from near the bottom 3 years ago.

I'll try to add a pic of Proud Mary.I think my pic may be too big,so try this link.

http://www.picpile.com/image.php?img=673887384.jpg

dan

Ken Robb
12-31-2005, 05:30 PM
My limited 29er experience showed that it was better for ridng over stuff and the 26er was better for dodging stuff but the bikes themselves were very different too. I would lean toward 29 for fast open riding and a 26 for tighter single track.

The Spider
12-31-2005, 05:45 PM
absolutely, 29 is a little more sluggish in corners and getting up to speed...but more stable at speed...they seem to 'flow' faster.

I think height of height comes into play as well....when your tall the bike feels so small with 26 wheels put a nice long front, short rear and some large wheels and the bike gets closer to a great fit (plus the extra ground clearence is great for 180mm cranks).

DfCas
12-31-2005, 06:09 PM
absolutely, 29 is a little more sluggish in corners and getting up to speed...but more stable at speed...they seem to 'flow' faster.

I think height of height comes into play as well....when your tall the bike feels so small with 26 wheels put a nice long front, short rear and some large wheels and the bike gets closer to a great fit (plus the extra ground clearence is great for 180mm cranks).

My 29'er has a lower BB than any 26 I ever had.Yes the axles are 31.5 mm higher,but mine has 76mm of BB drop.resulting in a low BB.Thats one of the things that are nice,you sit down in the bike more,making it more endo resistant.

I don't corner any slower compared to a 26,but I do crash less.

dan