PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone provide any info on this Serotta Nova Special?

smperkins
09-03-2013, 10:48 AM
Hi all, this is my first time here. I recently inherited this Serotta Nova Special, that I dug out of the back of a family members garage. I was hoping some people here may be able to provide more info on it and the components/parts. I'm not sure of the year, but I just emailed Serotta with the serial number, so hopefully they will be able to tell me given that. It looks like it has Columbus tubing and fork, and all Mavic components, but I'm not sure how to tell the models. Also has a SR Laprade seatpost and Concor Supercorsa Confort saddle. I'm also torn between keeping it and giving it a new home as I think it is on the larger end for me, but I'm not sure. Either way, I couldn't let it just sit in that garage collecting dust, it needs to be back out on the road. I cleaned it up a bit, and it looks to be in really good shape, may just need a tune up, new tubes, and maybe tires. It really is a sweet bike. The size is a 57 cm and I am about 5'10'' with 32" inseam, would this be too big for me? If I do decide to give it a new home, I was wondering what the value of it may be as a whole, and then also the value of the individual components if I were to part it out. I have some ideas based on a little research, but thought it would be good to get some way more knowledgeable opinions. Any info anyone can provide on the history, specs, or in general or the value will really be appreciated. Below is a link to some photos. I'd suggest starting on the 2nd page, where it shows the whole bike. Thanks so much!

http://s159.photobucket.com/user/smperks/library/Serotta%20Nova%20Special

4Rings6Stars
09-03-2013, 10:59 AM
Awesome bike, welcome! I would guess that it is pretty close to the right size for you, and definitely worth trying to make fit since it's such a killer bike.

It would probably be worth more parted out as that Mavic stuff has a bit of a following and it all appears to be in great condition. Somebody (like me, if I the frame fit) would probably like to buy the frame/fork and upgrade with more modern parts.

Check ebay completed listings for an idea on the value of the Mavic stuff. Figure the frame / fork is worth somewhere in the $300-500 range, but that's just a guess... more knowledgeable folks will hopefully chime in.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t155/smperks/Serotta%20Nova%20Special/004.jpg (http://s159.photobucket.com/user/smperks/media/Serotta%20Nova%20Special/004.jpg.html)

FlashUNC
09-03-2013, 11:31 AM
As 4Rings6Stars said, that Mavic stuff has quite the following. Even seems to have the Mavic headset.

If you were going to sell, parting it out would probably be your best bet, though it is a fantastic looking bike and if it fits, keep it and ride the darn thing.

oliver1850
09-03-2013, 11:39 AM
Great bike. I can't tell you the exact year. I think they switched to fastback seat stays in 1987, so 1983 - 1985 would be my guess. The oval ST decal wasn't around for long, but I don't recall the exact year. Your serial number would probably give the year.

No way would I take the Mavic stuff off and put modern on it.

RedRider
09-03-2013, 12:40 PM
I think this is one of the times when a complete bike is worth more than the sum of it's parts. I would not suggest parting it out. The frame appears to be in great shape and the components appropriate for the vintage. This is the value.
As a frame alone, the Serotta Nova Special is not a high priced item but as a complete "period correct" bike it should have a few interested buyers.

parris
09-03-2013, 03:27 PM
The serial number on the bb will give you the age of the frame. First number will be year, second number(s) will be month, and last number(s) will be which frame builr during the month.

With the decal style and tubing it probably falls somewhere between 83-85. But that's just a guess.

Gat64
09-03-2013, 09:28 PM
That bike is in stunning condition. Looks like absolutely no wear on the chainrings.... but I guess they made them tough in those days.

Too pretty as a package to part out.

Gat64
09-03-2013, 09:29 PM
There is a picture of the BB and the serial number is 5806 - so it's a 1985?

The serial number on the bb will give you the age of the frame. First number will be year, second number(s) will be month, and last number(s) will be which frame builr during the month.

With the decal style and tubing it probably falls somewhere between 83-85. But that's just a guess.

parris
09-03-2013, 10:25 PM
the bike was the 6th bike built in August 1985. Sorry I didn't see the photo with the number.

Just curious what's the top tube length?

cachagua
09-03-2013, 11:41 PM
The size is a 57 cm and I am about 5'10'' with 32" inseam, would this be too big for me?

I wouldn't say so -- I'm just about exactly your size, and my 57cm Nova Special X fits me very well. I also like to ride 56cm seat-tube frames, but I need long seatposts and 90-degree stems to make them work.

I'd say, ride it!

smperkins
09-04-2013, 09:56 AM
Hi all, thanks a lot for all the replies, I really appreciate all the input. It really is a magnificent bike, and in wonderful shape. There is not much wear at all, it was literally sitting in the back of a garage for years and years, all I did was clean it up a bit. And before that, knowing the person who previously owned it, I'm sure it was very well taken care of. With the responses on the fit, I think I'm am going to keep it and try riding it for a while, see how it feels.. I'd love to be able to keep it on the road.

That being said, I think it is still good to understand the value of it all, so thanks for the replies on that too. If I do ever end up letting it go, I don't think I could bring myself to part it out... they've been together for so long, I'd feel bad/sad separating them all, they belong together LOL. If anyone here would be interested in it, if I ever do decide to sell it, let me know, and I will keep your contact info in case.

The top tube length is 21.5", so a little over 54.5 cm. That is measuring from the center of the seat tube to the center of the head tube, I think that is how you measure, is that correct?

Does anyone have any suggestions for preventing the one break hood from continuing to tear? Also, does anyone have any suggestions on tubes, and tires that would look appropriate on the bike? Just curious, is there any way to tell the ages and models of all or any of the parts?

Thanks for the help on dating it also, and thanks again for all the comments!

oliver1850
09-04-2013, 12:45 PM
You are measuring the TT correctly. A stock 57 cm Serotta of that vintage had a 56 cm top tube. It could be a custom though. Are you measuring 57 cm from center of BB spindle to center of top tube?

I don't know Mavic components very well. You might find some of the parts listed at velobase.com. There is usually an age range for each component.

Those are probably Modolo made hoods. Once they get dry, there's not a lot you can do with them. You might be able to squirt some adhesive in under the cracked area with a plastic syringe. Might hold well enough to keep it from getting worse.

As for tires, you might look for some Continentals with brown sidewalls. They might be quite a bit newer than the bike, but would still look appropriate. NOS vintage tires turn up on ebay quite a bit. Are they clinchers or tubulars? I just got some nice NOS Wolber tubulars from ebay. I have a bunch of NOS wire bead clinchers, but they are all very narrow, 19 mm or so. You might check some LBSs that have been around for a while. You might turn up a pair. I've had varying luck with old tires. Some have been fine, but I've seen them dry and crumbly too.

cachagua
09-05-2013, 12:08 AM
Tires -- there are the Continentals mentioned above, and Vittoria SCs, Challenges, Grands Boises (or however you pluralize that) -- plenty to choose from that will look appropriate and ride super-nice.

Congratulations on your decision to keep it and ride it. If it's a matter of a handlebar stem or something else minor, to fine-tune the fit, I think you'll find it a good investment.

parris
09-05-2013, 05:17 AM
You may want to remeasure the st length given that the top tube measures 54.5. If that's the case and it's a stock geo frame you very likely have a 55. Serotta's are measured center to center. My Club Special is from that era. As the others have said cool bike!

Pars
09-05-2013, 09:29 AM
Nice bike! I would agree that the Mavic stuff is special and that it would be a shame to part it out.

As for the brake hoods, they do look like they were probably made by Modolo. I would not squirt adhesive in there, those hoods are disintegrating and it could make a mess of the levers. Since the Modolo hoods fit Campy NR/SR levers, hoods made for them should fit these. Available on ebay, something like this (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brake-lever-hoods-for-vintage-Campagnolo-Nuovo-Super-Record-Gran-Sport-black-/151113402526?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts _SR&hash=item232f0f889e)

I've never tried any of the aftermarket hoods on my Campy NR levers, others may know of good suppliers for these. Probably around $50/pair; should last longer than the originals (better materials).

smperkins
09-06-2013, 08:12 AM
Ahh, ok, I will have to re-measure then... I measured center to top, not center to center, my bad. The brake hoods are Modolo, I'll try to make them last as long as I can, then look into ebay for some new ones, thanks. Thanks for all the tire suggestions, I'll have to start checking them all out, appreciate it. Thanks for the site for the Mavic components, I'll check to see if I can find any listed on there.

smperkins
09-11-2013, 08:54 AM
Its a 1985 Serotta Nova Special. It's really a super cool bike. Lugged steel frame, Columbus SL tubing, all Mavic components, Sedis chain, Concor Supercorsa Confort saddle, SR Laprade seat post, Modolo brake hoods. All appropriate for the vintage, all period correct. Unsure of models on the Mavic components as of now, other than the rims which are MA40's. I believe this to be a Serotta size 55. It's really in wonderful condition, doesn't show much wear at all, all decals in tact, it was very well taken care of. Only thing it probably needs new tubes, and I'm thinking it may need tires, but not sure. I was going to look into something that would look appropriate, or take some time to find maybe something NOS that would be of the same period, but haven't really had the time. There is also some cracking in one of the hoods. Any help on the value on the bike as a whole would really be appreciated. Pictures can be seen at the link below. Thanks a lot!

http://s159.photobucket.com/user/smperks/library/1985%20Serotta%20Nova%20Special

FlashUNC
09-11-2013, 08:58 AM
Decided to sell?

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=135666

AngryScientist
09-11-2013, 08:59 AM
i get tired pretty quickly of thinly veiled for-sale ads in the general discussion section.

the value of this bike is what happiness it brings the rider.

if you're looking for a monetary value to sell it, look on ebay for completed listings of similar vintage steel frames.

otherwise, try riding the bike, that's where the real "value" is.

smperkins
09-11-2013, 09:07 AM
Hi, no I didn't decide to sell it. Sorry angryscientist for the miscommunication. A friend of mine who is an insurance agent suggested to have it added to my HO policy, to cover it incase of fire or theft. So I am looking for a value on it. Has anyone else done this before?

AngryScientist
09-11-2013, 09:22 AM
Hi, no I didn't decide to sell it. Sorry angryscientist for the miscommunication. A friend of mine who is an insurance agent suggested to have it added to my HO policy, to cover it incase of fire or theft. So I am looking for a value on it. Has anyone else done this before?

sorry, i dont believe that story for a second. you found a bike in someone's garage, described it to the letter and want to add it to your homeowners insurance policy, and think you need an exact value for that? Sure.

if, per chance you are serious, the answer is that it's a mid 80's steel bike that you didnt pay any money for. adding it as an individual article on your HO policy is a dumb idea, i think you would be hard pressed to convince an adjuster that it's worth more than a few hundred dollars if you needed to file a claim, and that's probably covered under your blanket policy.

smperkins
09-11-2013, 09:27 AM
Ok, thanks for your opinion.

christian
09-11-2013, 09:29 AM
Ah, what the hell... I'll give you $700 for it plus packing/shipping (you get a GOOD local bike shop to pack/ship), if you can tell me the center-to-center measurements of the seat tube and top tube. You can probably get $950 for it if you're prepared to wait, but I can paypal today.

(Hey, Nick, I want a bike for Cino Eroica...)

:fight:

AngryScientist
09-11-2013, 09:31 AM
threads on the subject merged.

christian
09-11-2013, 09:31 AM
BTW, I'm only making this offer because

1) It will annoy forum member johnsegal if I out-Mavic him at Cino Eroica.
2) Look at the gobs of clearance and eyelets.

Offer expires at 6pm or when this thread is locked. Please read all terms and conditions. No warrantee express or implied.

smperkins
09-11-2013, 09:35 AM
Hi, thanks for the offer, but I'm not selling it. Was just curious about a value on it, I don't really know bikes like that. Someone told me to come to this forum to ask for info on it. Appreciate it though.

Grant McLean
09-11-2013, 09:40 AM
Hi, thanks for the offer, but I'm not selling it. Was just curious about a value on it, I don't really know bikes like that.

You should sell it to someone who would appreciate a nearly perfect condition
30 year old classic bike. By today's standards of performance and
convenience, the brakes and gears are like driving a model T.
If you're just going to ride it around, there are much better choices,
since it won't remain pristine for very long.

-g

smperkins
09-11-2013, 10:06 AM
yea, I get what you're saying, but I still would like to hang on to it. It was a family members, and I do appreciate the age and condition, and story of it. I'd like to learn more about it and bikes in general. Thanks though.

oliver1850
09-11-2013, 01:48 PM
If your homeowner's policy allows it, get replacement value coverage on all your personal possessions. In my case, it cost very little more to have it.

When I had a bike stolen, my replacement coverage got me a brand new bike of the same brand and model as the old one. As my bike was 5 years old, the new bike cost 2x what I paid for the stolen one. I'm not sure what they would do in this case, as Serotta no longer builds steel, and Mavic doesn't make most of the components anymore. I would think you could negotiate for a US made lugged steel bike. Most new US made lugged frames would cost considerably more than your bike is worth, I would think. Since you didn't buy it new, you should find out what documentation of ownership they require before something happens to it.

diamacleod
10-09-2013, 06:17 PM
Evidently the frame and components were split for sale.

I just bought the frame on Ebay and the Mavic SSC group is offered there, see http://stores.ebay.com/blueprintbikes/

I'll probably ask a local shop to cold set the frame for 130 mm rear hubs, although at least with 531c I’m well used to fitting 126 dropouts over 130 hubs. I have some Campy Centaur 10 speed components to put on it.

BTW I have been a persistent lurker here but this is my first post.

thwart
10-09-2013, 08:27 PM
Evidently the frame and components were split for sale.

I'm shocked... just totally shocked. :no:

Angry smelled him out...

mikoglaces
10-10-2013, 08:53 AM
I have some Campy Centaur 10 speed components to put on it.

Good idea. I bought a used Serotta Davis Phinney from 1990 with Campy Centaur 10-speed and I am loving it.

Keith A
10-10-2013, 03:11 PM
Gotta say that the AngryScientist nailed this one.

smperkins (aka perkinstradingcompany) listed the whole bike here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-Serotta-Nova-Special-Steel-Frame-Bicycle-Columbus-Tubing-Mavic-Components-/310743323329?hash=item4859bed2c1&nma=true&si=oTcB5lKiGpHTgo8ox2AMC%252FmUM3I%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Then blueprint_bikes_texas accepted the best offer for the frameset here but with a modification "The center cable guide on the top tube broke off while in a work stand. Minor paint chips on drive side chainstay from transport"
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nice-Early-56cm-Serotta-Nova-Special-Road-bike-frame-set-Columbus-lugged-steel-/121187429781?pt=US_Bicycles_Frames&hash=item1c37556d95&nma=true&si=oTcB5lKiGpHTgo8ox2AMC%252FmUM3I%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Keith A
10-10-2013, 03:16 PM
You should sell it to someone who would appreciate a nearly perfect condition 30 year old classic bike. By today's standards of performance and convenience, the brakes and gears are like driving a model T. If you're just going to ride it around, there are much better choices, since it won't remain pristine for very long.

-gYep. Bike was damaged a bit when shipping and one of the brake cable guide was broken off when the guy was stripping off the parts to sell on eBay.

christian
10-10-2013, 03:21 PM
You can probably get $950 for it if you're prepared to wait, but I can paypal today.I wonder what $999 less ebay fees is.

christian
10-10-2013, 03:24 PM
Hey guys, I inherited this lego horse from my uncle Sven. Can anyone tell me anything about it? It's really sentimental, because my uncle was also made of Lego.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lego-Animal-White-Horse-Brown-Black-Tack-Pattern-4493-Minifigure-Western-Castle-/300981224527?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item4613e1044f#ht_2046wt_894

Keith A
10-10-2013, 03:25 PM
I wonder what $999 less ebay fees is.The full bike didn't actually sell through eBay and the buyer must have cut a deal after the auction ended to sell it outside of eBay.

And yes, smperkins is a major eBay seller with 232 active auctions right now. He/she is also a big fat liar!
http://www.ebay.com/usr/perkinstradingcompany

Stated on 11 September and the bike was already on eBay:
Hi, no I didn't decide to sell it...

William
10-10-2013, 03:41 PM
Well, you at least have to give him some points for being creative in his attempts to skip the forum rules and minimum post counts..............

:mad:NOT!!!:mad:

William

thwart
10-10-2013, 07:32 PM

yea, I get what you're saying, but I still would like to hang on to it. It was a family members, and I do appreciate the age and condition, and story of it. I'd like to learn more about it and bikes in general.

Bike was sold by this scumbag for somewhere around $1K, and looks like it will be parted out for much more...

Karma's a b*tch.

happycampyer
10-10-2013, 07:56 PM
Hey guys, I inherited this lego horse from my uncle Sven. Can anyone tell me anything about it? It's really sentimental, because my uncle was also made of Lego.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lego-Animal-White-Horse-Brown-Black-Tack-Pattern-4493-Minifigure-Western-Castle-/300981224527?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item4613e1044f#ht_2046wt_894

Your uncle's nickname wasn't Mÿeggø by any chance, was it?

Tony
10-10-2013, 08:39 PM
Bike was sold by this scumbag for somewhere around $1K, and looks like it will be parted out for much more...

Karma's a b*tch.

I thought at the time this guy was for real. Sad that someone feels they need to go this route to get answers.
The world is full of phonies and deceitful people like smperkins. Sad.

diamacleod
10-18-2013, 02:16 PM
I received this frame (my first Serotta) today, and was pleasantly surprised by the generous tire clearance. The chainstays are 44 mm apart where the tire runs between them! The brake bridge also allows 38 mm tires (without fenders). Is this the standard Serotta Nova spec, or would it be custom? With most mid 80s 'competition' bikes I wouldn't expect to fit anything over 25 mm.

Also the chainstays are long: 43 to 45 cm from the BB center, depending on position in the dropout, more like a Nova Series spec than Nova Special spec (referring to the 1985 catalog posted by Keith A). This is consistent with presence of eyelets on this frame as per Nova Series Spec, yet it does has Nova Special style shifter bosses and decals. Any thoughts?

lemondvictoire
10-18-2013, 07:36 PM
See his other post:
smperkins 9/4

Personally I sell on eBay a lot, and I can't speak for other sellers, but every morning I will pack up sold items from the previous evening, and print the shipping labels, and then either the carrier picks them up or I will drop them off depending on shipping method. The tracking #(s) is/are uploaded into the system, and an automated message is sent to the buyer's email registered with eBay stating it has been shipped. I don't send personal notes to each buyer, unless they contact me with some type of special instructions, but they all get the automated message. As others have said check the shipping details in the listing, the seller should specify handling time. Also as others have said, feedback is a good indication of what to expect.. most of the time you can tell if someone is a quick shipper with good communication or the opposite. I've also had an issue before where I bought something and the seller went on vacation and never put his vacation notice up. I'd say the majority of sellers on there that sell a lot are good with that kind of stuff, but you will run into slackers here and there. If you can try to stick to sellers with Top Rated Seller status because there are incentives for them to keep that status, such as discounts on fees, higher boosts in the best match search, and you get the Top Rated seal on your listings, which carries more trust and brings in more sales. There is a handful of various criteria you have to meet to be a Top Rated Seller, such as high detailed ratings, shipping within your stated time, uploading tracking, high feedback ratings, so you know they will work hard to take care of you. But with the Top Rated sellers you may pay a little more, because they can usually get a premium for their items because they are more trusted by buyers. Not saying don't buy stuff from other sellers, I do all the time, but just saying if you want to guarantee the better customer service. Just my thoughts...

I Opt to Ban smperkins !!!!!!!!!!

Keith A
10-18-2013, 08:14 PM
I Opt to Ban smperkins !!!!!!!!!!I don't think we'll need to do so...he came here and got what he wanted and hasn't been back since his last post. I would personally like to see him come back and answer for his lies...but I doubt that will happen.

thwart
10-18-2013, 08:17 PM
See his other post:
smperkins 9/4

Personally I sell on eBay a lot, and I can't speak for other sellers, but every morning I will pack up sold items from the previous evening, and print the shipping labels, and then either the carrier picks them up or I will drop them off depending on shipping method. The tracking #(s) is/are uploaded into the system, and an automated message is sent to the buyer's email registered with eBay stating it has been shipped. I don't send personal notes to each buyer, unless they contact me with some type of special instructions, but they all get the automated message. As others have said check the shipping details in the listing, the seller should specify handling time. Also as others have said, feedback is a good indication of what to expect.. most of the time you can tell if someone is a quick shipper with good communication or the opposite. I've also had an issue before where I bought something and the seller went on vacation and never put his vacation notice up. I'd say the majority of sellers on there that sell a lot are good with that kind of stuff, but you will run into slackers here and there. If you can try to stick to sellers with Top Rated Seller status because there are incentives for them to keep that status, such as discounts on fees, higher boosts in the best match search, and you get the Top Rated seal on your listings, which carries more trust and brings in more sales. There is a handful of various criteria you have to meet to be a Top Rated Seller, such as high detailed ratings, shipping within your stated time, uploading tracking, high feedback ratings, so you know they will work hard to take care of you. But with the Top Rated sellers you may pay a little more, because they can usually get a premium for their items because they are more trusted by buyers. Not saying don't buy stuff from other sellers, I do all the time, but just saying if you want to guarantee the better customer service. Just my thoughts...

I Opt to Ban smperkins !!!!!!!!!!

Well, the above is actually somewhat useful information... surprising.

... unlike the 'story' he concocted to either sell the bike outside of the Forum classifieds restrictions or... failing that, to get a free appraisal for his subsequent eBay sale.

Doubt he'll be back, banned or not. He's already got what he wanted.