PDA

View Full Version : Veloplug vs Tape?

cyclemad
09-03-2013, 10:18 AM
Any thoughts on pluses or minuses of using veloplugs instead of tape when running tubes?

dave thompson
09-03-2013, 11:15 AM
BIG plus for the VeloPlugs is that they help with the installation of otherwise difficult tires. Smaller plus(es) is that there is no creep, no maintenance, they're just ..there.

Very small negative of the fact they cost more money than tape offset by the plus that they are reusable.

cachagua
09-03-2013, 11:26 AM
I've used fiberglass packing tape for many years, very economical, works great for ease of mounting tires but it's NOT re-usable. Haven't tried the plugs. I think I'll get some for my next pair, just to check 'em out.

Formulasaab
09-03-2013, 11:31 AM
I used plugs on my last build and agree with everything Dave said. My favorite thing is that I'll never need to worry about the tape creeping away from a spoke hole again. Fully half of the flats I've had in the last few years were for that reason, rather than road debris.

mvrider
09-03-2013, 11:42 AM
Has anyone ever experienced pinch flats with Veloplugs? I experienced three flats on a new wheel recently, my first with Veloplugs installed. The small puncture always faced the Veloplug.

djdj
09-03-2013, 11:49 AM
I've had small punctures from Veloplugs on A23 rims that cropped up after a year of so of use, even when the plugs appeared to be fully seated with no rough edges, etc. I switched to one layer of Stan's tape and so far, so good. This was/is true with both butyl and latex tubes, btw.

rice rocket
09-03-2013, 11:58 AM
Stans recommends two layers for road pressures.

I have plugs and I heard of the stories, I was planning on doing plugs + one layer of Stans tape (well actually 3M strapping tape).

Formulasaab
09-03-2013, 12:06 PM
No. But I only have about 800 miles on these wheels (H+Son Archetypes) so far.

Has anyone ever experienced pinch flats with Veloplugs? I experienced three flats on a new wheel recently, my first with Veloplugs installed. The small puncture always faced the Veloplug.

HillDancer
09-03-2013, 01:48 PM
I use the plugs with no downside. When installing, I remove aluminum rim hole burrs just like I would if using a rim strip, and I give the plugs a tap with a small hammer & nylon punch to seat. Rim strip shift while installing a tire is the reason I began using the plugs. For a future tube build I would use a couple rounds of 12mm Stan's tape, because I have it on hand, and it won't shift or creep.

Louis
09-03-2013, 02:27 PM
My Veloplugs were loose, so I had to use rim tape to hold them in...

OK - for those of you keeping track, that's the second time I've used that line here.

guyintense
09-03-2013, 03:26 PM
I've used the veloplugs on Velocity, HED Belgium and H plus Son rims with no problems. I rounded a maple stick to match the rims profile to tap the plugs all the way in. I stopped using fiberglass packing tape because over time it turns into a gooey mess that's almost impossible to remove. YMMV

cmg
09-03-2013, 03:53 PM
"My Veloplugs were loose, so I had to use rim tape to hold them in..."

veloplugs come in different size diameters. So match the spoke hole to the correct diameter. good idea about deburring spoke hole, light sanding will do it.

staggerwing
09-03-2013, 03:59 PM
Used to use Velox tape, which generally works well, but a bit thick, and should probably be replaced if peeled back to fix a broken spoke.

I like the idea of Veloplugs, but they often don't fit snug in the rims I'm using. Adding a layer of tape over the top as a 'safety' defeats the elegance.

Of late, I've converted to FSA rim strips. Inexpensive, effective, take up very little volume, no adhesive to gum up the works, light, and can even be reused. Vittoria's variant isn't bad either. YMMV.

mike p
09-03-2013, 04:32 PM
I can see no reason to switch from velox tape. It's worked flawlessly now for 25 years.

Mike

oldpotatoe
09-03-2013, 04:56 PM
Any thoughts on pluses or minuses of using veloplugs instead of tape when running tubes?

Changing a tube on the road and ya lose a veloplug, you are SOL..tape, IMHO.

Steve530
09-03-2013, 05:37 PM

Carry a spare plug.

oldpotatoe
09-03-2013, 05:40 PM
Carry a spare plug.

Or use tape...if ya lose 2...I donno...tape works, there are lots of thin tapes out there if size of rim is an issue.

Steve530
09-03-2013, 06:10 PM
Or use tape...if ya lose 2...I donno...tape works, there are lots of thin tapes out there if size of rim is an issue.

I don't know either. Maybe I should carry a roll of Velox, too. :)

Thought I'd give the plugs a try. So far, they've been fine.

jlwdm
09-03-2013, 06:15 PM
I have faith in what ergott says. He says two layers of Stan's tape on the Pacentis instead of velo plugs makes the tires go on much easier.

I hope I got this right.

Jeff

bianchi10
09-03-2013, 06:33 PM
I had good results with veloplugs. Those looking for an inexpensive way to save some Grams, this is a great option!

Columbus SLX
09-03-2013, 07:21 PM
Great results with veloplugs. Go yellow on archetypes - they will fit really tight and never pop out on their own.

wallymann
09-03-2013, 08:12 PM
this. 27 years for me, and still counting.

I can see no reason to switch from velox tape. It's worked flawlessly now for 25 years.

Mike

christian
09-03-2013, 08:16 PM
I am usually a Velox man, but I got a set of wheels from Ergott about 6 years ago that came with Velo Plugs. They have ~20,000 miles on them now and no complaints at all.

Louis
09-03-2013, 08:20 PM
Regarding Velox tape working flawlessly - that may not always be the case. I reused some once too often and didn't shift the spoke holes sufficiently. That caused a weak spot and the tube blew out the threads, resulting in a flat.

Moral of the story: 1) Velox won't last forever, and 2) If possible, shift the tape around to load up fresh areas.

ColonelJLloyd
09-03-2013, 08:33 PM
I was a Velox only guy too until I had trouble mounting and seating a tire on a modern rim with lightweight, folding tires. The thinner tape is sometimes required and I don't see a downside to it. It's tough, sticky and lightweight.

Chief
09-03-2013, 08:48 PM

+1 Try fixing a flat on the road with loose plugs following out into weeds and fire ants--a real PITA. Stick with tape.

Bob Ross
09-04-2013, 05:41 AM
veloplugs come in different size diameters. So match the spoke hole to the correct diameter.

few years back Joe Young told me you couldn't use Veloplugs with DT Swiss rims because the red plugs were too small and the yellow plugs were too large. This was back when they made the RR1.1 rims; anyone know if that's still the case w/ the RR465(?) ?