PDA

View Full Version : Glued a directional tire backwards - worth redoing?

FastforaSlowGuy
09-03-2013, 10:11 AM
I just realized I mounted my Vittoria Corsa Evo Tech backwards. This is their crummy weather tire with little groves on the sides to help direct water away from the centerline. Now, I'm directing water towards the centerline. It's on the rear, so maybe it matters less because of all the weight back there?

Would you reglue?

cfox
09-03-2013, 10:46 AM
I've ignored a non-directional eff-up before (little v's not going forward, but not affecting tire performance), but if I bothered to purchase a directional tire, I'd make sure it was on right. I'm sure the tire will work fine, but it'll nag you so you might as well re-glue it before the glue gets even harder.

09-03-2013, 10:49 AM
I've turned around a front wheel to see whether there was any perceivable difference. Nope. Perhaps at automotive grand prix speeds there is, but in cycling it's a joke.

However, that does mean you have the tire label on the wrong side, which IS a major faux pas and calls for ripping the tire and regluing.

FastforaSlowGuy
09-03-2013, 11:02 AM
Yep, label is now backwards as well. It was an otherwise beautiful glue job, so I think I'll just wait until I have yet another flat (road construction season, so it shouldn't be long).

I've turned around a front wheel to see whether there was any perceivable difference. Nope. Perhaps at automotive grand prix speeds there is, but in cycling it's a joke.

However, that does mean you have the tire label on the wrong side, which IS a major faux pas and calls for ripping the tire and regluing.

PoppaWheelie
09-03-2013, 11:31 AM
I've done this...and I left it. Bugged me for a while, but as noted I did eventually flat and I dealt with the problem then. Then again, I hate gluing tires.

fogrider
09-03-2013, 11:09 PM
the real question is: do you notice it when riding? I'm willing to bet not.

cachagua
09-03-2013, 11:21 PM
Well is that the real question? Or does it eat at you when you're lying in bed at night, does it distract you from paying proper attention when you're driving, does it interfere with the pleasure of food?

This is the difference between mere bike-riding, and religion.

oldpotatoe
09-04-2013, 07:30 AM
I just realized I mounted my Vittoria Corsa Evo Tech backwards. This is their crummy weather tire with little groves on the sides to help direct water away from the centerline. Now, I'm directing water towards the centerline. It's on the rear, so maybe it matters less because of all the weight back there?

Would you reglue?

No..traveling at bike speeds, it will really make little(no?) difference.

AngryScientist
09-04-2013, 07:33 AM
for road tires, directional tread is a marketing ploy, for sure.

i would imagine fatter cross tires, and mtb tires that run in the mud and loose stuff might have some perceivable advantage with a directional tread. but on the road - nope. leave it be.

civdic
09-04-2013, 08:17 AM
I'ved glued a set on backwards. Didn't notice any difference but sure got laughed at by the guys I ride with.

Buddy of mine said he ran some Vittoria's backwards in the rain and he said they didn't feel safe. He flipped the front wheel around and said he thought they felt less twitchy.

cmbicycles
09-04-2013, 08:26 AM
If you are dead set against regluing, you can always just unlace the wheel and turn the rim around. Hopefully it isn't an OC rim.:rolleyes:

gavingould
09-04-2013, 09:23 AM
i ran my rear Clement PDX tubular "backwards" all last season (was a bit rushed gluing it up/not paying attention) and was happy to continue doing the same this year until i flatted it in the first race of the year. pulled it off, sloshed in some Stan's and it sealed up pretty well.

i glued it back on the "correct" direction, we'll see if it makes any difference. really doubtful as i'm not anywhere near the ragged edge of performance.

and actually, a fair number of pro cx'ers run certain tires in the opposite direction front/rear. supposedly there are marginal gains (/Brailsford) in cornering grip or something.

rice rocket
09-04-2013, 12:47 PM
for road tires, directional tread is a marketing ploy, for sure.

I haven't read up on bicycle tire construction, but old bias ply tires will unravel themselves if run backwards, regardless of what the tread looks like.

Lanterne Rouge
09-04-2013, 01:07 PM
I don't think it would make a difference and if it did only very very marginally.

That said it would drive me bonkers, completely mad. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night, I'd be constantly distracted.

On my gravel bike beater build I have two different types on canti's on there and I very nearly had to check myself in for a psychiatric assessment.

Jaq
09-04-2013, 02:38 PM
No..traveling at bike speeds, it will really make little(no?) difference.

But if you go really fast, you can make the earth turn backward, stop Hoover Dam from bursting, and Lois Lane's car from getting swallowed whole. Or....

http://youtu.be/aPB4-EW2Fck

Anyway, you'll ride the tread off quickly enough anyway.

Bradford
09-04-2013, 02:59 PM
Just set you bike up so its faster backwards.

Daveyk
09-04-2013, 04:18 PM
I have a front tire on backwards. We can have matching sets if you want to swap.

redir
09-04-2013, 04:35 PM
I assume this is a rear tire since all you would have to do is rotate the front. So given that if you need solace it's common practice for cyclocrossers to glue the rear one on backwards thinking it will give them a bit more bite. At least that's what I tell people who notice that I glued on on backwards anyway.

54ny77
09-04-2013, 05:02 PM
just start riding like this guy, you'll be fine.

http://www.recordholders.org/images/backwards-cycling1.jpg