PDA

View Full Version : Brake cable friction...

Dekonick
12-31-2005, 04:00 PM
OK - I just built up a bike and used what I could find - generic cable housing and SS brake cables. After I cut the housing, I used a grinder to buff the ends and make sure they are smooth and then taped housing to bars, etc. Taped up bars, inserted cables, cut cables etc...

Done it before - never had a problem.

This time I feel more friction than I am used to - any idea why?

The cable housing is being run on bullhorn bars with bar end TT brake levers and does have several bends (none that are sharp mind you) - I tried removing the cable, lightly greasing it with generic lithium grease and re-inserting them - no benefit. I would rather not remove the bar tape and do it all over again... Any ideas?

Some ideas I had were to get tri flo and shoot it into the housing and let it dry...

Candle wax on the cable...

fill the housing with lithium grease using a syringe and a 14 guage catheter and re-insert cable...

Just curious and looking for advice:)

PS - the brakes work, but they don't feel as nice as the typical Campy brake 'feel' I am used to. It is possible that the generic Nashbar cable housing and cables arent the best...but it is what I had laying around.

Ideas?

Dave
12-31-2005, 04:41 PM
As long as the housing has a plastic tube lining, it should be fine. If you've got real cheapo cable with no lining, that's your problem.

eddief
12-31-2005, 05:20 PM
but did ya double check to make sure there are no burrs (burs?) sticking inward and catching the cables? Also, for the rear brake, is the curve in the housing from the top tube to the caliper in a nice gentle non-bendy arc?

Dekonick
12-31-2005, 07:46 PM
Gently curve - ayup. Just like good 'ole Sheldon B. suggests...

BTW - they work but it just isn't smooth like Campy. I don't see the point in expensive cables - housing is another matter :)

I just wanted to get this bike out on the street as it has been a project for too long. I will probably re-tape the bars again but for now I am looking for solutions (Can't decide on whether trying anti-vibe stuff is worth it or not...)

Dekonick
12-31-2005, 07:50 PM
but did ya double check to make sure there are no burrs (burs?) sticking inward and catching the cables? Also, for the rear brake, is the curve in the housing from the top tube to the caliper in a nice gentle non-bendy arc?

Isnt the reason to grind the ends smooth done to prevent burrs? I grind them then ream em with an awl. I did see a burr on one, but ground away until it was gone.

Too Tall
01-01-2006, 07:50 AM
The problem is likely a poor alignment between cable stops. With everything in place sight the cable and see if it exits the housing WITHOUT hitting the cable stop. If it does, use a dremel and get'r done ;)

Dekonick
01-01-2006, 09:30 AM
Thanks TT!

Ill bet that is the problem!

I am excited to get this fixed gear on the road...It gets its first ride today! First ride of the year on a beautiful frankenbike! :D