PDA

View Full Version : Seatposts: alu v. carbon for vibration dampening

FastforaSlowGuy
09-03-2013, 08:30 AM
On most of my recent bikes, I've ridden a carbon post. Less because of weight (the difference seems marginal in most cases), but because I thought it would be a better dampener of vibration. From those who've ridden really good alu posts (think, Thompson Masterpiece) and carbon posts, am I working on misguided assumption?

I know good aluminum bikes ride really well, I'm just not sure whether that has translated into nice riding aluminum seatposts.

avalonracing
09-03-2013, 09:01 AM
I would think that the type of aluminum and design of the post would make a huge difference. I only ride good seatposts but I have picked up generic aluminum posts that feel like a boat anchor. Same thing goes for the carbon posts. Also, the length should make a difference too. If you are showing 12" of seatpost I would say that any positive characteristics would be more obvious than if you show 3" of seatpost.

ColonelJLloyd
09-03-2013, 09:17 AM
What about Ti?

soulspinner
09-03-2013, 09:18 AM
Syntace p5?

Gummee
09-03-2013, 09:53 AM
What about Ti?

IME if you only have the old fashioned 'handful of post' sticking out of your ST, everything's going to feel the same. Once you get to compact frames, then you start to feel things.

I've had Ti, CF, and AL posts on the same bike(s) over the years. The Ti is the most springy (duh!) with the CF and AL getting stiffer/more vibes. Right now, that Ti post is on my mtn hardtail. Makes riding off-road a little better 'cause it is so springy.

HTH

M

cyclemad
09-03-2013, 09:57 AM
I have been riding an alu post on steel bikes and planning to switch to a carbon post just to save weight. Think I should expect a vibration payoff as well?

tch
09-03-2013, 10:01 AM
Princess and the pea.