PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when your jersey vendor royally messes up the size

weiwentg
09-03-2013, 05:46 AM
I just joined a team, and we just changed to a different, local jersey vendor. The fit of our latest run of our jerseys is a bit big. By big, I mean that for the men's small (and I think we asked for race fit), the jersey comes down about 6" lower than my hips, there is room for a gut which I do not have, and the chest is at least 6" too big. And I have a pretty long torso.

It is so bad that I do not think I can let myself be seen wearing it. It looks two to three sizes too big and the wrong cut. Uncharitably, this is what you get for supporting an untested vendor.

I want to return the jersey, as it's not usable. But this vendor is sponsoring us with a pretty heavy discount on the jersey - I paid $40. Our sponsoring bike shop is a pretty small one. I am not sure if they'll be able to sell this piece of junk (probably not), and then I would only have my team bibs for the first cross race of the season. Already complained to our team director. Thoughts? What's the mensch thing to do?

oldpotatoe
09-03-2013, 07:26 AM
I just joined a team, and we just changed to a different, local jersey vendor. The fit of our latest run of our jerseys is a bit big. By big, I mean that for the men's small (and I think we asked for race fit), the jersey comes down about 6" lower than my hips, there is room for a gut which I do not have, and the chest is at least 6" too big. And I have a pretty long torso.

It is so bad that I do not think I can let myself be seen wearing it. It looks two to three sizes too big and the wrong cut. Uncharitably, this is what you get for supporting an untested vendor.

I want to return the jersey, as it's not usable. But this vendor is sponsoring us with a pretty heavy discount on the jersey - I paid $40. Our sponsoring bike shop is a pretty small one. I am not sure if they'll be able to sell this piece of junk (probably not), and then I would only have my team bibs for the first cross race of the season. Already complained to our team director. Thoughts? What's the mensch thing to do?

You and the bike shop are still 'customers', regardless of the sponsorship gig. You paid for the kit, as did the bike shop..

$40 after discount? That's not that good of a deal either. My shop jersey, custom, costs $45...I'd assume a sponsorship would mean about the wholesale $. For his advert to be on the jersey..plus jersey's name on jersey, fits like crap=poor advertising..they need to make it right.

Charles M
09-03-2013, 08:32 AM
Never, ever... buy team kit without taking the time for sizing samples. That's darn crazy.

What company? virtually all reputable offer sizing samples up front, even for small orders. decline at your peril...

avalonracing
09-03-2013, 08:57 AM
Never, ever... buy team kit without taking the time for sizing samples. That's darn crazy.

What company? virtually all reputable offer sizing samples up front, even for small orders. decline at your peril...

Agreed.
I was on a team where the person in charge of ordering that year wanted to use a vendor that he had used with a previous team. The stuff showed up in June shipped in a plastic garbage bag in a box. This made sense as the pieces were garbage.

The following year I took over. We chose to use Voler who sent us a full sizing sample run (with I encouraged every team member to show up to the sizing meeting) and Voler listened to me on the smallest design changes. (Full disclosure this was just over 10 years ago and I cannot vouch for Voler now).

I would say that unless you can work out something with the supplier that will not cost your shop anything you are a bit screwed.

I'm in the Baltimore area too. If you are cool with it, PM me with the details, I'm just curious about the parties involved.

EDS
09-03-2013, 09:42 AM

Are you the only one on the team with improperly sized kit or is it systemic? If the former, swap for a new jersey from team surplus; if the later the whole team should get new jerseys from the vendor.

avalonracing
09-03-2013, 09:56 AM
And you just tell me, I'll know anyway if I see a whole team riding in mini-dresses with sponsor logos.

weiwentg
09-03-2013, 10:41 AM
Are you the only one on the team with improperly sized kit or is it systemic? If the former, swap for a new jersey from team surplus; if the later the whole team should get new jerseys from the vendor.

I am one of the new members, so most people have kit with the previous vendor that fits. The LBS people said that yes, we've noticed the fit is loose. So, I think systemic. It's a fairly relaxed racing team, so I am definitely on the lean side for the team members.

All the new vendor's retail jerseys are a fairly relaxed club fit. They sent us some of those samples, and we tried them, and I said it looked like the men's small will fit me if they send us a race fit, so we asked for that. But then they sent us the &*%^ed up fit version. It is more like fat American businessman fit than club fit. I think that apart from the length, the men's small would probably fit someone my height and 150 lbs or more.

So, the jersey is going back to the shop. Our team director said let's measure some existing jerseys we know fit. Unfortunately we're a small team and there's no team surplus.

avalonracing
09-03-2013, 11:30 AM
Sadly, a club-fit jersey on a race-fit build looks just as bad as a race-fit jersey on a club-fit build.

kayten
09-03-2013, 06:58 PM
When we were running a continental outfit a couple of years ago, we found out going cheap is as often as always, not the best way to go. Stick to the established manufacturers, who can stand by the quality of the finished product. Inconsistency in the sizing, sewing quality, product returns, are always the major issues when dealing with "cheap" manufacturers.
Talk to the sales rep if you can, wear the samples, and try and get a written assurance on rejects and returns. Most of the time, the manufacturing is done overseas, and by people who have no absolute idea of how a bike jersey should fit anyway.
Every manufacturer has their own sizing templates. Some may fit well on you, but some may not. These are nagging issues when we issue a team jersey and put it out for sale to club members. Not all riders have the physique as a pro who rides 500km a week, and every weekend warrior wants to look like a pro, despite the odds.

bloody sunday
09-03-2013, 07:10 PM
tai knows about this