PDA

View Full Version : Racing wheel question????

Loro_tomas
12-31-2005, 02:43 PM
Some time ago I ask you guys if you think there was any performance diference between the new all carbon cosmics and the SL's. All your answers where helpful and the feedback from 11dot4 was great. In the end I decided to order the ALL carbon cosmics PRO. I need your help again. The wheels have arrived to the dealer but after having them in my hands I dont know what to do. The deal is that the dealer for mavic here is also the campy dealer, so with the Cosmic Pro a set of Boras also arrived. The price is the same in both and I know that both are pro level racing wheels that are going to be great for me. My questions are: Will the mavic be stiffer/tougher? More durable? which one in your opinion is better all around racing wheel? the Boras are a little under 300grs lighter; are they more fragile? I weight 165 pounds and will be racing from very hilly road races to tight city circuits.
The reason I ask is that I dont what to go thru the zipp thing again. Zipp rims are fast, light and very cool but fragile. I want a racing wheelset to race with no worries about my equipment. I need it to be tough.

Thanks in advance and happy new year!!!

LORO

ergott
12-31-2005, 04:23 PM
There's something about the Boras....

vaxn8r
12-31-2005, 04:36 PM
Campy wheels rock! I would have no reservations riding any Cmapy wheel.

The Spider
12-31-2005, 06:43 PM
Boras are dream wheels, follow Ergott's advice!

loctite
12-31-2005, 06:54 PM
My vote is for the Mavics, as far as durability.

jerk
12-31-2005, 07:25 PM
th new boras are balanced, so at least you'll be able to descend on them with confidence. ask fstrhtnu or jan ullrich for a couple of reasons not to ride the old ones downhill.....

the cosmics are going to corner better and sprint better and will be a better all around wheel for american style (crit-heavy) racing. the boras are a bit lighter but are really more along the line of a time-trial/stage race style wheelset. you'll have better luck cornering hard and sprinting with the cosmics.

for everyday use, it doesn't really matter. you can break anything and if you can afford either it probably doesn't much matter.

jerk

shinomaster
01-01-2006, 02:14 PM
Bora wheels say campagnolo in really big letters.

Ti Designs
01-01-2006, 04:57 PM
the new boras are balanced, so at least you'll be able to descend on them with confidence.

However, the tires you put on them are not...

jerk
01-01-2006, 05:31 PM
However, the tires you put on them are not...

true but tires are close enough as are most wheels. the old boras were not. every pair in the pro tour had signifigant weights added to them to insure they were safe while descending. the new ones are fine without any rigging.

jerk

Dr. Doofus
01-01-2006, 05:52 PM
open pros with 32 H hubs

if ya got big watts and big sack

it won't matter

Loro_tomas
01-02-2006, 05:19 PM
Thank you all for the comments. Seņor Jerk thanks for the feedback, very helpful. I have made up my mind. As soon as I can will post some pics of my bike with the new wheels.

Pura Vida
LORO.