PDA

View Full Version : Vittoria Clincher?

bluesea
12-31-2005, 01:53 PM
I've been keen on trying a set of Vittoria Open Pave clinchers for a long time, but now I've read and heard stories about loose or over-sized beads appearing after they moved production out of Italy. Can anyone comment on this issue in terms of getting a blow, or having a tire roll off in a corner? Is this a valid concern?

Karbon
12-31-2005, 02:14 PM
I've been keen on trying a set of Vittoria Open Pave clinchers for a long time, but now I've read and heard stories about loose or over-sized beads appearing after they moved production out of Italy. Can anyone comment on this issue in terms of getting a blow, or having a tire roll off in a corner? Is this a valid concern?

I've been using them for over a year now. Never had a problem with a bead coming off and I've even ridden home a couple of miles on a front flat because I couldn't be bothered stopping and it wasn't too far to go. The fattness of the tire protects the rim perfectly in this instance.

I regularly go down 55-65mph descents, and never had a problem or felt like I was going to have a problem in cornering.

They are my fave training tire, to the point where I specified I was going to use them and wanted clearance for them on my new steel frame :banana:

bluesea
12-31-2005, 02:32 PM
They are my fave training tire, to the point where I specified I was going to use them and wanted clearance for them on my new steel frame :banana:

Thanks Karbon,
Do you know how their clearance compares with the 25 GP 3000? I'll have to look into this issue for my Colnago Flash carbon fork.

05Fierte TI
12-31-2005, 03:20 PM
I too have spent the last year on Vittoria's. The open cx to be exact. No problems, wear is slightly higher than the Michelins I was on before. I normally run 95 - 100 psi in the front and 105 - 110 in the rear so maybe I am not testing the bead as much as with higher pressures.

e-RICHIE
12-31-2005, 03:38 PM

imo they have been made in thailand for many
years. i race on the open corsa cx clinchers and
can find little difference between them and their
tubular counterpart. no loose or o/s beads issues
to report.

Hysbrian
12-31-2005, 03:59 PM
i race on the open corsa cx clinchers and
can find little difference between them and their
tubular counterpart.

Do you always race clinchers?

e-RICHIE
12-31-2005, 04:07 PM
Do you always race clinchers?

road - mebbe half the time.
that's about 20-25 races on each type.
'cross - never.

Karbon
12-31-2005, 04:39 PM
I never use Conti's, so I have no idea. I would say there is 2mm extra width and height compared to a Vred Fortezza 23c.

I do know that on a 1" steerer AME SUB3 they are as large as I would want to use.

With a 72deg seat angle the builder had to push the chainstay length out to 412mm and apparently that is going to be a rather tight clearance to back of the seattube (I must add, I asked for as tight a back end as possible while being able to use Open Pave's).

bluesea
01-01-2006, 12:03 PM
Thanks folks, I'm putting in an order.

05Fierte TI
01-01-2006, 12:36 PM
e-Richie, you said that you road race approximately 50% of the time on clinchers. What makes you decide to race clinchers vs sew-ups?

e-RICHIE
01-01-2006, 12:43 PM
e-Richie, you said that you road race approximately 50% of the time on clinchers. What makes you decide to race clinchers vs sew-ups?

if the race is important, if i do cat 2 or age graded,
which wheels are "ready" or appropriate, the weather...
iow, i'm ambivilant unless it's a race in which i need
an advantage - then it's tubs only.

bluesea
01-01-2006, 01:00 PM
- then it's tubs only.

Would that be an evil tub?

http://home.hawaii.rr.com/konnichiwa/%20%20dr.evil.jpg