PDA

View Full Version : Losing fitness due to recovery time off bike

Wayne77
09-01-2013, 11:20 AM
Some of you saw my post here (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=134477) about a scary experience at the hospital due to an internal GI bleed. Anyway, it's been a month now and I'm feeling pretty good and have started cycling again.

I have a question about how much "base fitness", endurance, or power one looses over time due to inactivity...some background:

Prior to the incident I had been training and racing all season (mostly crits and some short to medium length road races), working towards doing both the Tour of Park City, a 150 mile road race, and the 206 mile Lotoja Classic (some people race it, some people do it as a fun ride). I missed the Tour of Park City because I checked into the hospital the day of the race. The Lotoja classic is this coming Saturday. When I checked out of the hospital my Doctor ruled out doing any more racing for the next 2-3 months because it takes a long time to for the body to regenerate red blood cells and I just needed time to recover. He also felt it was unsafe to do a 200 mile ride so far away from any medical facility if I did have any new blood loss issues. Fast forward 4 weeks - I got a new blood test Friday and I was pleasantly surprised to find that my blood recovery was better than expected. I checked into the hospital with a life threatening 25% hematocrit / 8 Hemoglobin. Yesterday I tested at 39.9% hematocrit, 13.7 hemoglobin. I understand that normal hematocrit level for a male my age is something like 40-52%. So the nurse said I am basically at the low end of normal now, which was great news.

Then the little voice in my head started to say "maybe I can do the Lotoja after all. I went on a feeler ride yesterday, 45 miles with a pretty steep 1200' climb in the middle. My hopes were crushed. :rolleyes: I don't think I lost too much power/speed (I have a power meter) on the flats, but my climbing was pathetic...almost laughable. I did make it to the top, but it was definitely humbling! When I got back to the flats I did recover pretty quickly and was able to motor the last 20 miles back home at a good pace. The Lotoja is 206 miles with around ~10,000 feet of climbing. None of the climbs are that steep and I've done that ride before, so I know what I'd be getting into. After yesterday's ride I really don't think I'd be able to finish the Lotoja route though. I feel like I've just lost way too much climbing power and maybe even endurance...I managed a solo 140 miler with 8000' 5 weeks ago, no problem, but now I can barely manage 1200' of climbing. Don't get me wrong - I'm grateful to be alive! And I'm grateful to even be able to ride a bike 45 miles considering I almost kicked the bucket 4 weeks ago.

Ok, that ended up being much more back ground than I planned (thanks for getting this far), so here's what I'm wondering: -How quickly do you think one loses 'base fitness' due to recovery and inactivity? Can one lose climbing power but maintain overall power output? Maybe my issue with climbing is not so much strength related, but more a result of less oxygen carrying capacity in my blood, leading to more of an aerobic constraint? How fast do you loose endurance? Any thoughts are much appreciated and don't necessarily need to be directed toward the specifics of my experience. I find this topic very fascinating !

Anyway, I do have an appointment scheduled with Dr Max Testa this Wed (he's actually an in-network provider local to me...amazing that a $25 co-pay will get me in to see him. -He runs his sports medicine and family practice in SLC, Utah when he's not over in Europe with the pro teams) I can't wait to get his input on this.

Thanks all!

false_Aest
09-01-2013, 11:26 AM
Loss of fitness depends on so many things.

But from what I understand:
Athletes loose fitness slower + less than non-athletes.
Pros loose about 50% after 3 months (hard to imagine a pro doing nothing for 3 months). I've heard 50% for 3 weeks for mortals.

thwart
09-01-2013, 11:32 AM
less oxygen carrying capacity in my blood, leading to more of an aerobic constraint?I'd vote this being the biggest issue for you.

In the old unsophisticated days of early drug testing, the riders would get popped for a hematocrit of 50. Yours, at 39, will make climbing much more challenging.

And then there's age and the ever-increasing adverse effect on fitness of being at bedrest in the ICU/hospital for several days...

verticaldoug
09-01-2013, 11:35 AM
I think the only opinions that matter here are your doctors. See what the good doctor says on Wednesday and go from there.

Free advice isn't even worth the price paid in this case.

FlashUNC
09-01-2013, 12:46 PM
I think the only opinions that matter here are your doctors. See what the good doctor says on Wednesday and go from there.

I'd agree. In my experience last year bouncing back from elbow surgery, I was back on the bike six weeks later, but found between the injury, the operation and the recuperation, what fitness I had was totally shot, echoing what you experienced up the climbs. I was granny-gearing stuff I used to climb in the big ring.

It took a very long time to bounce back, but it will happen. Just follow the doc's guidance.

Wayne77
09-01-2013, 04:24 PM

On the topic of 'what I should be doing', I agree...but the general topic is interesting regardless. I wasn't so much looking for free advice (ie next steps, what should I do vs not do), as much as I was interested in hearing thoughts & experiences from others on the topic of fitness decline and subsequent recovery. I think it's an interesting topic and if anything, thoughts from others give me something to think about while I'm waiting to see the doctor.

Anyway, false_Aest's '50% over 3 weeks for mortals' is certainly consistent with what I'm feeling lately ;) I just hope I'm not back to where I was 8 months ago. Seems all that hard work can go away quickly...oh well, on the plus side, this presents a good opportunity to get out there, turn the pedals and enjoy the simple, pure act of riding a bike!

Black Dog
09-01-2013, 06:07 PM
Don't worry about how fast you loose your fitness. If you started all of this in good shape you will gain the fitness back quickly. Loosing the top end of your fitness is easy, loosing your base takes a lot more time. It will come back faster than you expect. Get in as much interval work as you can to accelerate your fitness gains. You do not need to start over.

Cheers...Daryl

Wilkinson4
09-01-2013, 06:25 PM
Wayne, I'm sort of in the same boat but due to work I never really got into good shape prior to my over the handlebars crash. I was off the bike for 2 weeks before my crash and now it has been 3 weeks on top of that.

I was so worried about loosing any base that I picked up a used recumbent step-thru trainer off Craigslist. 1 week after my crash I was able to ride but it was depressing. Time, watts, etc... After a few weeks I am up to 30-40 min rides on the trainer. My watts are up but not where I would typically be. Since I'm off the bike at least another month I just plan on working on my strength. Intervals, sustained pace, etc...

Sounds like you are coming back though. Be patient. It's hard, I know. I hate not being able to ride outside and the fact my fitness will be ···· by the time I do get back outside:mad:

But, we will get back to where we want to be and with a better appreciation of being able to do what we do.

mIKE

aramis
09-02-2013, 12:51 AM
I wouldn't base just one day of riding on your fitness either. With power meters it's hard to just go out and take a ride sometimes but it sounds like you just need to get at least a week or so of riding done without worrying about numbers before you can evaluate your current level of fitness. If it were me I'd nix the thoughts of doing a tough race like that so quickly after such a devastating to your body/mind event. Give yourself some time.

I wouldn't even look at it as a terrible thing. I mean a month off could be good to start off fresh with a new routine or goals or whatever you have for the long term.