PDA

View Full Version : Brooks ti question.

pale scotsman
12-31-2005, 10:23 AM
I recently bought a used Swift and have recently noticed small cracks on the front and back side of the ti nose piece. They do not go all the way through the metal. Are these normal? I did have another swift at one time but to tell the truth I never really looked at it this closely.

BTW I did tighten the saddle a bit when I first got it and didn't notice the cracks until I had the seat off the bike, so I'm wondering if I did it. I've bounced on the seat seeing if it will fail and the cracks aren't getting any bigger. Am I setting myself up for failure out on the road hauling my +/- 210 lbs.?

dirtdigger88
12-31-2005, 10:32 AM
I checked mine- there are no cracks-

If it were mine- I would just watch it- if the cracks seem to get bigger - then ditch the saddle- when's the last time you heard of a Brooks breaking?

If it were new- I would take it back and get another one- why hassel with it?

Jason

pale scotsman
12-31-2005, 10:40 AM
Oh ye see, the pale one has a fear of broken seats and seatposts that's quite well founded. Founded in stupidity I might add. When I was is 6th grade we were jumping our BMX bikes using a door laying over a trashcan for a ramp. Well lets just say the seat got mangled, top gone and the rails exposed, and in my infinite 11 year old wisdom I removed the seat and kept jumping. Yep, you guessed it the seat post was still there. On my last jump I felt what felt the hardest frog I've ever had to my hamstring. Got off the bike and put my hand back there.

Big hole in jeans.

Blood on fingers.

Ride home and eyeball it. Whoa fat corpuscles, tissue, and a gaping hole, not much blood though.

Go downstairs and ask mom if I need stitches. She screams bloody murder, and then I start to cry because I don't want stitches.

dave thompson
12-31-2005, 10:42 AM
I wonder if the 'cracks' are merely stretch marks made when the nose piece was formed into shape.

dirtdigger88
12-31-2005, 10:47 AM
Oh ye see, the pale one has a fear of broken seats and seatposts that's quite well founded. Founded in stupidity I might add. When I was is 6th grade we were jumping our BMX bikes using a door laying over a trashcan for a ramp. Well lets just say the seat got mangled, top gone and the rails exposed, and in my infinite 11 year old wisdom I removed the seat and kept jumping. Yep, you guessed it the seat post is still there. On my last jump I felt what felt the hardest frog I've ever had to my hamstring. Got off the bike and put my hand back there.

Big hole in jeans.

Blood on fingers.

Ride home and eyeball it. Whoa fat corpuscles, tissue, and a gaping hole, not much blood though.

Go downstairs and ask mom if I need stitches. She screams bloody murder, and then I start to cry because I don't want stitches.

ouch- go get another one and sell that one on EBay- ;)

that explains the dress photo a little more though- I bet you have a kilt too- right ;)

Jason

ti_boi
12-31-2005, 11:15 AM
No, that is not a natural crack or stretch mark. That is a defect or a part that is apparently failing. I have the same seat and there are no cracks or fissures there and I weigh 235lbs. --Warrantee it, or take it off and get another one--but I wouldn't trust it.

stackie
12-31-2005, 11:53 AM
I have a Swift Ti with which I have had some problems. First off, I take all responsibility for problems as I "butchered" it to look like a Swallow, but did not leave tabs to fold under and tie. It did fine for about 6 months, but then the bolt broke. I replaced the bolt. Then the piece that you have cracks in failed. I presume that there is too much stress on these pieces placed on these from increased vertical compliance in the leather due to the removal of the side walls.

If your saddle is showing these cracks, I would go ahead and order the piece to replace it. I got the bolt from Wallbike. You could ride it a while longer, but I'd bet that it will fail eventually, so I would probably replace it eventually. Also, my saddle failed en route both times and I was able to get home by just shifted further back on the saddle to place the weight on the rear. So, don't worry too much about getting absolutely stranded on it if it fails.

Jon

Ken Robb
12-31-2005, 12:33 PM
no marks like that on mine either---maybe you did over-tighten it--As Dr. Stackpole said, Brooks seems to be good about selling repair bits. I can't stand worrying about nursing a damaged part any farther than necessary so I would have to fix it ASAP.

pale scotsman
12-31-2005, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the input guys. It turns out you can get the u shaped piece from wallbike for $16, but they're out of stock right now. I'll just let the swift rest for now and pay closer attention next time I tighten it. Doh!