PDA

View Full Version : Fork length

jpw
08-31-2013, 11:51 AM
An F3 fork is stated as being 372mm axle to crown.

If i have a Legend built for the F3 would there be any real issues if i later slot in an Enve road fork with a stated axle to crown of 367mm?

I would try to select to 'balance' any rake discrepancies between the two forks.

The F3 clears a 25mm tire and the Enve allows for a 28mm tire.

pbarry
08-31-2013, 12:12 PM
Hmm, you've been thinking a lot about this change. ;) Are you looking for more clearance, or was the F3 damaged? The Geometry thread had good information on the A-C issue.

SteveV0983
08-31-2013, 12:16 PM
In reality, the 5mm difference will in fact change your geometry angles in that the seat tube and the head tube angles will become slightly greater. I laid it out and on my 58cm bike, the 5mm difference in fork length changed the HT angle from 72.75 to 73.06. In theory, this will make the bike feel a little quicker steering and a little more aggressive. In reality, you likely won't feel the difference unless you already feel as though your bike is too quick steering or squirrely (sp?) to begin with. The ENVEs have some of the shortest crown-axle measurements out there, but everyone seems to love them so they must know what they're doing.

jpw
08-31-2013, 12:47 PM
Hmm, you've been thinking a lot about this change. ;) Are you looking for more clearance, or was the F3 damaged? The Geometry thread had good information on the A-C issue.

this is before the build commences - i like to think ahead :-)

i'm assuming that the two measurements are relatively accurate and that there is in fact the 5mm difference, although there is no way of knowing without having both forks side by side..

jpw
08-31-2013, 12:51 PM
In reality, the 5mm difference will in fact change your geometry angles in that the seat tube and the head tube angles will become slightly greater. I laid it out and on my 58cm bike, the 5mm difference in fork length changed the HT angle from 72.75 to 73.06. In theory, this will make the bike feel a little quicker steering and a little more aggressive. In reality, you likely won't feel the difference unless you already feel as though your bike is too quick steering or squirrely (sp?) to begin with. The ENVEs have some of the shortest crown-axle measurements out there, but everyone seems to love them so they must know what they're doing.

the angle changes shouldn't be too much of an issue, but i'm thinking of sloping the tt 1 degree to compensate for the shorter Enve fork. i think a sloping tt going down at the head would make the bike look goofy.

EricEstlund
08-31-2013, 01:16 PM
If you are asking for it Ti be built with an F3, why change it?

Pegoready
08-31-2013, 01:25 PM
Hasn't this question been asked, like this week?

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=135387

jpw
08-31-2013, 01:31 PM
If you are asking for it Ti be built with an F3, why change it?

well, there may be occasion when it would be helpful to have the larger 28mm tire clearance that the Enve could give, but i like the idea of the frame and fork from the same builder from the off. An FMB 27mm would be the max tire i will want to use.

jpw
08-31-2013, 01:32 PM
Hasn't this question been asked, like this week?

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=135387

yes, in a different way. i'm now after the opinion of weekenders :-)

woolly
08-31-2013, 02:33 PM
You could use a Chris King headset with one of their +5mm baseplates to effectively even out the length difference.

jpw
09-01-2013, 03:42 AM
You could use a Chris King headset with one of their +5mm baseplates to effectively even out the length difference.

Ah, i like the sound of this idea. i see this on Chris King's website;

http://chrisking.com/parts/baseplates

the last option is for a +5mm tall baseplate, which would on the face of it appear to be exactly what is required to make up for the nominal difference in height between the F3 at 372mm and the Enve at 367mm. Would this be the answer?

The CK page goes on to say;

"For fork crown and downtube interference issues such as those you may find on 29ers and extra-small size mountain bikes we offer a +5mm baseplate in a stainless steel 1-1/8" size."

I assume my requirement would also be satisfied by this taller baseplate.