PDA

View Full Version : Automotive version of the MeiVici

Louis
12-30-2005, 02:50 PM
If you decide against a MeiVici you may want to consider this instead.

(I lifted the story from the NYT web site.)

December 25, 2005
Behind the Wheel

Bugatti Veyron 16.4: To Drive the Impossible Dream

By RICHARD FEAST
MOLSHEIM, France

MANY people thought that Volkswagen lost touch with its customer base in 2003 when it introduced the Phaeton, a luxury sedan perfectly wonderful in almost every way save for a price tag that veered uncomfortably close to six figures.
What, then, will the skeptics make of the Bugatti Veyron 16.4, the fastest, most powerful and - no surprise - most expensive production car in the world? Bugatti is owned by VW, and the Veyron's engine is related, if distantly, to the W-8 power plant available in the last-generation Passat.

Not to worry; the Veyron's credentials speak for themselves. A 1,001-horsepower two-seater that blasts to 60 miles an hour in 2.5 seconds - and continues pulling all the way to 253 m.p.h. - the car is a sheer technological wonder.
Still, nothing prepares the newcomer for the reality behind the bald performance statistics. The Veyron is blisteringly, and effortlessly, fast. Other vehicles on the road appear to stop as the Veyron whooshes past with the ease of a Formula One car. It is a sobering realization that the grand prix racer is not as fast as a Veyron.
Even stationary, the Veyron looks like a car that takes no prisoners. Slightly less than 176 inches long (no longer than a Kia Spectra) and almost 79 inches wide, it is surprisingly compact. Most of the space inside seems to be occupied by an enormous 16-cylinder engine, a seven-speed transaxle and an all-wheel-drive system. Ten radiators are required to disperse all the heat the Veyron's mechanical systems generate.

The car's two-tone paint, horseshoe-shape grille and center dashboard panel of engine-turned aluminum reach back to Bugatti's design heritage. The interior is exquisite; details like vents and door pulls are made of machined and polished aluminum.
Over all, the car represents an extraordinary blend of opulence and power. As luxurious as a Maybach, the Veyron provides a level of comfort far beyond that of quasi racers like the Ferrari Enzo and Porsche Carrera GT, neither of which can match its acceleration, top speed or braking.
Thomas Bscher, president of Bugatti Automobiles, is just as proud of the car's refined manners. "This car can be driven by anyone," he said, a statement clearly begging to be substantiated.
The mighty motor rumbles to life at the touch of the starter button. Despite its placement just a few inches behind the driver's shoulders, the engine produces a muted growl that is music to the enthusiast.
Venturing onto the highways here, near Bugatti's headquarters in the Alsace region of France, the car's rarity and value generate considerable apprehension. Embarrassment, injury, a big repair bill or worse await a driver who does not show proper respect.
The automated seven-speed transmission shifts gears so seamlessly that the only clue is a change in the engine note. The car's unfamiliarity erodes with the miles; speed simultaneously increases. It seems entirely natural to shift using the gearshift paddles mounted on the steering wheel .
The ride over poor surfaces is amazing for such a taut high-performance car. The steering is so precise that the Veyron feels almost as nimble as a Miata.
It would be nice to relate that this reporter's driving skills are capable of wringing the maximum from the Veyron. They are not, but they were enough to determine that at really high speeds the car is quiet, comfortable, refined - and as easy to drive as Mr. Bscher says. The car's everyday top speed of 234 m.p.h. is enough to make it a king of the road. To be the performance emperor, though, the driver must resort to a second ignition key to the left of his seat.
The key functions only when the vehicle is at a stop. A checklist then establishes whether the car - and its driver - are ready to go for the maximum speed beyond 250 m.p.h. If all systems are go, the rear spoiler retracts, the front air diffusers close and the ground clearance, normally 4.9 inches, drops to 2.6 inches.
To appreciate the Veyron's performance extremes, ride along with Pierre-Henri Raphanel, a former professional racer who demonstrates the car to potential buyers.
Mr. Raphanel looks relaxed as he blasts the Veyron to almost 180 m.p.h. Other traffic and roadside objects appear and vanish in a blurred, real-life re-enactment of a computer game before he eases off.
When the freeway empties, Mr. Raphanel demonstrates the Veyron's brakes. The car's speed simply vanishes - braking to a stop from 250 m.p.h. takes less than 10 seconds, he said - but for the passenger, there is an equally astonishing experience: the driver is holding both hands in the air and wearing a big grin. The car has stopped in a straight line with no corrections at the steering wheel. If anything, the giant carbon-ceramic brakes and the rear air brake are more impressive than the acceleration.
Everything about the Veyron is shaped by superlatives, but even Mr. Bscher acknowledges, "Nobody needs a car like this."
Indeed, who could argue that it isn't a frivolous liability? On what roads can it be tested, given that it reaches speeds in excess of those achieved in qualifying laps for the Indianapolis 500? When the Veyron was recorded at 253 m.p.h., it was on a test track in Germany.
How relaxed would an owner be about leaving a Veyron in a parking structure for a couple of hours? How anxious would he be handing the ignition key to a parking valet?
The fuel economy - if that is the right word - is 9 miles per gallon in the city and 18 highway, according to preliminary E.P.A. estimates. Don't even think about mileage during more spirited driving: at maximum speed, the car would theoretically run out of fuel in 12 minutes, Mr. Raphanel said.
A giant automotive achievement, the Veyron owes its existence to Ferdinand Piëch, who bought rights to the fabled Bugatti name in 1998, when he was chairman of Volkswagen, with the goal of building the ultimate supercar.
Bringing it to market required an unwavering commitment by Mr. Piëch, a man with a reputation as a brilliant engineer, though many have questioned his grasp on commercial reality.
With four turbochargers, the Veyron's mighty 8-liter, 16-cylinder power plant produces 1,001 horsepower and enough torque (922 pound-feet) to uproot a redwood. The engine drives all four wheels via a seven-speed automated manual gearbox.
Despite extensive use of carbon fiber and aluminum, the Veyron is, at 4,162 pounds, quite heavy. Even so, the car is capable of staggering acceleration: from zero to 125 miles an hour in 7.3 seconds and to 250 in 55.6 seconds, according to Bugatti.
The price, for those indiscreet enough to ask, is $1.2 million in the United States, before taxes.
Theoretically, several of Volkswagen's rivals could create a Veyron alternative; some could even afford to. Mr. Bscher says the project cost no more than some automakers spend each year on Formula One racing - perhaps $400 million. In today's harsh business environment, though, automakers face challenges that make it unlikely they would allocate the technical and financial resources to one-up the Veyron.
Creating cars for plutocrats was a curious strategy for the manufacturer of the People's Car. The results, nevertheless, are now available to the handful of buyers with the necessary wherewithal.
INSIDE TRACK: The sports car NASA would build.

Kevin
12-30-2005, 04:11 PM
Can someone explain why the top speed of 253 mph is governor regulated? Why did the engineers decide that the car should not go faster than 253 mph? Is insurance cheaper with a 253 mph governor regulated top speed instead of a drag limited top speed greater than 253 mph? Is the car less stable in traffic when you exceed 253 mph? If you are going to build a car like this why do you need to artficially limit the top speed?

In cae you can't tell, if I ever get one of these cars I will be under the hood looking to disconnect the governor. I will then sit on the Long Island Expressway and do the same 25 mph that everyone else is doing :crap:

Kevin

Serpico
12-30-2005, 04:21 PM
because 254 is INSANE

253 is understandable

Tom Kellogg
12-30-2005, 04:25 PM
... as soon as I sell enough frames ...

Ginger
12-30-2005, 04:27 PM
You know...that toilet seat didn't work for Ford. Maybe Bugatti will have better luck.

CarbonCycles
12-30-2005, 04:35 PM
I don't think it is regulated. I think the fuss over 253mph is because that officially gives it the FASTEST road production car in the world. I'm sure it can go faster, but I think the law of aerodynamics comes into play then. In addition, I don't think many ppl have the nerve to drive over 150mph moreover 254mph!

rePhil
12-30-2005, 04:38 PM
Only when Schreiber and his engineers created what is now called the "top speed" configuration was the car able to achieve its maximum speed. It works like this: When the car reaches 137 mph, hydraulics lower the car until it has a ground clearance of about 3 1/2 inches. At the same time, the wing and spoiler deploy. This is the "handling" mode, in which the wing helps provide 770 pounds of down force, holding the car to the road. This drag-limits the car to about 230 mph.

To go faster, drivers have to stop the car and activate the top speed mode with a special key in a lock to the left of the driver's seat. This lowers the car to a ground-skimming clearance of about 2 1/2 -inches and retracts the rear wing so that it just peeks out over the bodywork. At 250 mph, a little wing angle is all you need. At the same time, openings for aerodynamic tunnels built into the car close, creating a fully flat-bottom car.

In April, Schreiber and his team had hit upon the ideal setup for the car and were putting down consistent 250 mph runs.

The Veyron has a lot of other tricks up its carbon-fiber sleeve. When the brakes are activated at high speed, the rear wing tilts to 70 degrees, creating what is effectively an air brake — should the 15-inch carbon-ceramic disc brakes not prove to be enough. Here is a fun fact: In a panic stop from 253 mph, the Veyron comes to a halt in less than 10 seconds — hard enough to pull the sunglasses off your face.

"My philosophy is that you should be able to brake better than you can accelerate," Schreiber says.

So it can go like the hammers of hell and stop on a pfennig. But will it sell? That is the $1.25-million question.

"It remains to be seen," says Peter Mullin, a Los Angeles car collector who owns several vintage Bugattis. "They certainly have put the resources into it. I just wonder what is the appetite for a car that can go 250 mph on the street? It's kind of a limited market."

Sandy
12-30-2005, 05:08 PM
We must have a photograph or two of this beast.

Sandy

Sandy
12-30-2005, 05:09 PM

You better put Colby and the neighborhood kids to work! :)

Sandy

Korn Julio
12-30-2005, 05:13 PM
I'll take two please. ;)

Kevin
12-30-2005, 06:05 PM
On your left.

Kevin

sg8357
12-30-2005, 06:12 PM

I'll take one of your frames over the "Bugatti", last I heard Ettore is
dead. The "Bugatti" is like owning a steam locomotive parked in the
driveway, what do you do with it ?

If I own a Kellogg , I can enjoy it completely, ride
it at 10/10ths, appreciate the craft of it, the handling at the limit.
If I drive the Veryon that way, I'll be in jail, you're breaking the law
once you reach 2nd gear. Can you really appreciate a Nagasawa
if you only ride it at 5mph ?

The Veryon is a lawn ornament, a very nice lawn ornament,
but little different than a pink flamingo. ;-)

Scott G.

Bill Bove
12-30-2005, 06:26 PM
Gotta agree with Scott on this. There's no place that I can use that car as it should be used, a Meivici I can. Now if we were talking about an AC Cobra, well that would be a different story. May not be as fast as the Bugatti but it kills it with style and racing palmares.

Sandy
12-30-2005, 06:30 PM
1. Tom Kellogg is a remarkably talented, humble, helpful, and caring person.

2. Spectrum bicycles deservedly have a stellar reputation- as good as it gets.

3. I'll take the Bugatti.

4. So would Tom (maybe).

Speeeeeeeeeeding Sandy

shinomaster
12-30-2005, 06:43 PM
Back before they were stupid looking...and before bikes were stupid looking too.

Ken Robb
12-30-2005, 10:15 PM
this is me about to go for a ride in the McLaren F1 LeMans car at California Speedway- We only got to about 170mph and that was pretty fast.

Kevin
12-31-2005, 06:52 AM
Here is a qoute from an article in the LA Times about the Buggatti. It seems that if driven properly the car has a range of about 50 miles on a tank of gas. It is going to take me a long time to get to the next Owner's Weekend. :rolleyes: By the way, does anyone have a really good roof rack to suggest for transporting a bike on the top of a car. :D

Kevin

In 53 mind-blowing seconds, the Veyron reaches its marquee speed: 253 mph. At that speed, the tires would begin to soften in about half an hour. Fortunately, at top speed, it runs out of gas in 12 minutes. "It's a safety feature," Wolfgang Schreiber, the Veyron's chief engineer, says with a smile.