PDA

View Full Version : Mavic Helium Aero project

sales guy
08-29-2013, 03:59 PM
So the rims arrived for the Mavic Helium rebuild project.

I am using a set of Velocity Fusion 700c Clincher rims in black with Mavic Crossmax mountain hubs(same as the Heliums, just black). I am using DT Swiss Competition 14/15ga spokes with DT Prolock Alloy Hexhead Nipples-both in black

I have the parts to make the Crossmax hubs into road models, no issues there. I am working on the fix for the Campy body I need. I have one on the way-an ED11.

I tried to post some pics of the parts in a dead state, but they wouldn't upload. I will try again later.

I have to get the front rim in a blank drilled out to the 26holes needed. A visit to a friend with a dial table. No biggie.

I will let everyone know on the progress. Weight wise, they should be about 60 grams lighter. BUT, I am thinking of using Revolutions on the front and non-drive side. Not sure yet, what do you guys think about that? Weight would drop another 60 grams.

oliver1850
08-29-2013, 09:39 PM
Interesting project. What's the genesis of it? Seems it's not as much a Helium rebuild as it is a Helium variation.

I measured my original Helium spokes. They are 14/15 all around, but they have very short butted sections. Essentially 15g up to within a mm or two of the nipple. I'd probably stick with 14/15. Maybe the pro wheelbuilders will chime in with their opinions on min spoke count with Revolutions.

Hope you will let us know how the drilling goes/costs. I've got some paired spoke type hubs that I'd like to find rims for. Are you going to drill straight down the centerline, or offset?

sales guy
08-30-2013, 06:00 AM
I am going to offset the drilling just as they do at velocity. It isn't much of an offset though.

I have done these rebuilds before in the past with straight pull ti spokes on heliums and crossmax wheels. So I know it's possible and not too difficult.
These will be totally different as I am making them all black, different rim, an aero one and will be modifying a ED 11 body to work on an older FTS hub shell. That is the only part that will take any bit of time.

The rim drilling should only take 20 minutes. Cost, nothing. I have some manufacturing friends at Alcoa here who are cyclists. They are always happy to help on projects.

The revos, I know they will work, tensions would be great for it and I have run them n 24 holes before without issues on shorter rims even. They will balance out the tension on the rear really well and make the wheel stronger. I'm thinking of doing it this way.

By the way...what color spoke nipples to use? I have 14 different colored ones. And should I do a pair of silver spokes around the valves? Or all black?

oliver1850
08-30-2013, 10:06 AM
I like the idea of the silver spokes at the valve. I always have trouble locating it.

If you know what bike they're going on, you could match the nipples to headset, seat collar, etc., or just the color of the bike. Red if the bike will have red Centaur. Colored nipples do tend to fade. I've got a couple of wheels that would look better now if they'd been built with silver.

sales guy
08-30-2013, 10:12 AM
The nipples I use are USA made 7075's and they're double dipped for durability and color. A really nice deep color. The best out there.

I planned on the silver valve pair but wasnt sure. I think I'll do it after all. I have even done offset colors on those spokes.
Just built a set of mountain wheels. Xtr hubs, wtb rims, DT spokes with silver valve pair. The black spokes had silver nipples with red on the silver pair. Looks great.

The bike is matte finish clear coat. Time vxrs ulteam. Record 11 carbon parts. Everything is black or red.
So I was thinking of doing the same pattern as the mountain wheels. They would look great. And the rims won't have decals so very clean.