PDA

View Full Version : U.S. bike-sharing fleet more than doubles in 2013

plattyjo
08-29-2013, 03:32 PM
Pretty awesome (from Grist (http://grist.org/cities/195888/)):

"Today’s opening of the San Francisco Bay Area bikeshare brings the combined fleet of shared bikes in the United States above 18,000, more than a doubling since the start of the year. The United States is now home to 34 modern bike-sharing programs that allow riders to easily make short trips on two wheels without having to own a bicycle."

blessthismess
08-29-2013, 03:44 PM
I seen them setting up all week in SF. I am actually suprised by how many bikes/locations they added. I've even seen some people riding them already. I just hope people unaccustomed to city riding behave safely.

thenewguy11
08-29-2013, 03:58 PM
I went on a bit of a bike sharing trial binge this summer. I tried out the bike sharing systems in New York, Denver, and Tel Aviv just for kicks. The best experience was probably in Denver just because it was super convenient as I had stations near the restaurant I was leaving and my home. Tel Aviv was pretty cool and included a built in lock which could be used without a station in case there wasn't one nearby. I don't read Hebrew so it took a second to figure out the directions though.

The worst experience, though not awful in isolation, was in New York. The bike wasn't particularly well tuned so I could only use two of the three gears. Plus they don't have any stations north of midtown nor locks so visiting my sister on the upper west side required me to bring the bike inside. Finally, I misread the fee schedule, and ended up costing myself something like $75 for the privilege when I thought it was going to be closer to $30. Mea culpa, totally user error but a negative nonetheless.

The San Francisco bikes hopefully have an awfully low gear available or some of the hills are going to be tough.

plattyjo
08-29-2013, 04:11 PM
Here's a review from my friend Chris who tried the Bay Area Bike Share this afternoon: "I liked it! It's geared pretty low, which is good for hills. Heavy, but felt solid riding over bumps & rail tracks."

tniu
08-29-2013, 04:27 PM
Great idea. I saw it for the first time yesterday on Beale where they had 8 or so bikes waiting, and I plan to check it out. Given how casual it is to check out a bike, though, I wonder though how many people who use it will wear a helmet?

pdmtong
08-29-2013, 04:49 PM
the one in palo alto was dedicated today at 10am. saw a bunch of suits in front of palo alto bikes...there they were - the new blue bikes. city gave up two parking spaces downtown...parklets arrive on the pennisula!

christian
08-29-2013, 05:19 PM
My review of the NY Citibikes:

The gearing is superweird - walking speed first, super low second, giant gulf to third.
The brakes appear to range from adequate to abysmal, depending on bike.
They weigh about 1000 lbs.
They are impossible to wheelie. Well, almost.
They are terribly easy to trackstand, because....
They have the world's lowest bottom brackets. I swear the drop is like 110mm. Correspondingly...
They have very short cranks.
The seats are awkward and bulbous.

In short, they are AWESOME! Because they are everywhere and let you ride bikes places. And riding bikes is freaking great!

I love them, and more importantly, everyone else does too!

charliedid
08-29-2013, 05:52 PM
I just want to know why it's "Bike Share" if you have to pay for it?

Bike Rental