PDA

View Full Version : On violins and bikes....

Catulle
12-30-2005, 12:37 PM
There was a thread somewhere below where there was a discussion going about the merit of building a violin in contrast to putting a bike frame together. The last I remember from the thread was an enlightened observation that made reference to metals singing at the rythm of the torch and the keen understanding of the melody that results from years of hand labor.

Well, I just want to add my two cents to that conversation and note that the issue goes back to the early Ionian philosophers. Hold on...!!! Donīt flame me yet. I just got back from a pretty crappy ride when I had a flat tire and my daughter had to pick me up. So now I ainīt got anyhting better to do until my rice and lentils are ready.

As I was a saying, when the Greek geeks where searching after the Urstoff (something like the bottom bracket) of all things, they decided that the basic elements for all were earth, wind, water, and fire. And that they existed in a state of flux. Therefore, it seems to yours truly, that to this day we are putting those basic elements together and taking them apart, some of us with more success than others.

Sooooo, I don't think that working with wood is any more virtous than working with steel and fire. I do believe, though, that the very human elements of talent, inspiration, wits, character and determination are what differentiate the final result of our labor. Of course, with time we tend to get a distorted view of things and putting in one sentence a Stradivarius violin and a Sachs frame seems heretic and stupid. Neverthless, as I am heretic and stupid, I see no difference between one and the other.

Thanks to Thales, Anaximander, Hera****us, et al., for allowing me to perfectly distort and corrupt their ideas.

:beer:

e-RICHIE
12-30-2005, 12:43 PM
this makes scents to me!

Kevan
12-30-2005, 01:16 PM
Me too.

http://www.perkowitz.net/photo/images/2005/03/08/pennies-03.www.jpg

shaq-d
12-30-2005, 02:42 PM
Hera****us

wow..one situation in which the online censor actually makes a swear word out of the ordinary, lol.

sd

Catulle
12-30-2005, 03:26 PM
wow..one situation in which the online censor actually makes a swear word out of the ordinary, lol.

sd

Heracleatus....????