PDA

View Full Version : OT: Subaru owners...

William
08-29-2013, 08:44 AM
We haven't owned a Subaru since our college days. It was a great car but it's been quite a few years and I haven't really paid attention to what the company has done in quite a while. Mrs. William is thinking about adding to the fleet and wants a reliable, family friendly car.

So, what model do you/did you own in recent years and how has it treated you?

Thanks!
William

mtb_frk
08-29-2013, 08:51 AM
We loved our 09 tribeca. It was a nice riding car, decently quick and great in the snow. No major issues. We just traded it in this year because we want to get a camper so I needed something bigger to tow with. But I must say I miss the car. And would buy another one.

WickedWheels
08-29-2013, 08:52 AM
We bought my wife a new Forested in 09 when they first changed to the new body style. It is practical, but underpowered (without turbo like ours) and has a fairly cheaply feeling interior. I regretted buying it new rather than a used BMW X3, so that's what I did this year when I needed a new car. It's more fun to drive than the Forester, if nothing else.

Ken Robb
08-29-2013, 08:55 AM
I rented a Forester a few years back and thought it would be on my short list if I didn't live in such a benign climate.

My nephew had a high-speed wreck in his Impreza. Car was totalled and he was fine. He got a lab puppy and named him "Subie" as a tribute to the car that served so well.

His aunt/uncle had an Impreza and replaced it with one of the wagons but I am not sure which model.

I never heard any complaints about their cars but they are not "car people".

victoryfactory
The new Forester. (2009-2013)
Plenty of room
AWD
Fun to drive

If youre going new, the 2014 Forester has a very well reviewed CVT
better milage and a bit more room.

I Have a 2009 with 80K miles and zero issues so far in 5 years
VF

Vientomas
2005 Outback XT Limited wagon. 4 cylinder turbo wagon. Purchased new and recently sold with 120K on it. Very reliable. No mechanical issues. Poor gas mileage for a 4 cylinder - combined city and highway 19 mpg. Did not feel as well built or as solid on the road as my wife's BMW or my Porsche. Overall I would say it was a good value but it was not a Serotta of vehicles. ;)

mod6
Currently own a 2013 Outback 4 cyl 6sd MT that I have put 10k on. So far it has been a great car. Plenty of room in the rear seats for 3 kids(2 in booster seats.). Stock tires work well in the snow. Been averaging 27mpg with mix driving for last couple of thousand miles as the car has broken in. Paid 2k under sticker for the car and paid 1295 for 5yr/100k 0 deductible warranty.

dekindy
08-29-2013, 08:59 AM
My wife wanted a vehicle for functionality that only the Subaru Outback would provide in our price range. Purchased a new 1999 model that she drove for 10 years. She has kept all her cars 10 years since 1990. Very quiet comfortable car and no major problems. Would have purchased another Subaru but she did not like the dealer and we really did not need the hauling capability anymore. Now she drives a Honda Accord. Made here in Indiana!

4Rings6Stars
08-29-2013, 08:59 AM
I have had 97, 99 and 2006 Legacy GTs.

The first two were great and very reliable, but had the head gasket issue that plagued that 2.5l motor. The 97 met its demise when a 100+ year old Oak fell in a storm and converted it into a pancake. The 99 is still being driven by my brother and has over 200k miles on it.

The 2006 is another story...

It is a great looking car, inside and out, and is extremely fun to drive, but we have had issues with it relating to the turbo and the transmission. It's not that great on gas either. My sister has a 2009 Legacy (non-turbo) and it has been phenomenal. My mother in law has a 2012 Legacy (non-turbo) and it is also been great.

We are considering a 2014 Forester for our next car, but will wait a year and try to buy one lightly used.

William
08-29-2013, 09:09 AM
Excellent! Just the type of feedback I was hoping for. This place is the best!!:banana:

Thanks everyone!

William

JAGI410
08-29-2013, 09:27 AM
I have a 2004 Forester XT (2.5L Turbo, 5spd) that my wife and I share. It's our first Subaru but we're convinced we are now Subaru owners for life. Such a great car.

victoryfactory
08-29-2013, 09:32 AM
2005 Outback XT Limited wagon. 4 cylinder turbo wagon. Purchased new and recently sold with 120K on it. Very reliable. No mechanical issues. Poor gas mileage for a 4 cylinder - combined city and highway 19 mpg. Did not feel as well built or as solid on the road as my wife's BMW or my Porsche. Overall I would say it was a good value but it was not a Serotta of vehicles. ;)

True, but you can get 3 or 4 Subarus for the price of 1 of those other cars.
VF

tch
08-29-2013, 09:35 AM
... for other options, but here:
I owned two Subarus for over 15 years -- Legacy wagon and then Outback. To my mind, the cars have become too expensive, big, and unfortunately "Detroit-ish". Terrible gas mileage in the Outback for very nominal 4-wheel need -- and I live in the in the highest town of the Berkshires in NW Connecticut.

I bought a VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI this late winter. 40 mpg, plenty of room for a complete bike in the back, and more than adequte traction with four snow tires. And, a much better driving experience. I'm outta love with Subarus.

c-record
08-29-2013, 09:46 AM
I've got a '14 Forester with the 2.5 engine and CVT. In the last 5000 miles my average mpg is 29+. I'm at 15K miles now and so far so good. The newest generation has a different feel than the previous for sure.

Z3c
08-29-2013, 09:51 AM
I have an '11 WRX and really like it. I can easily put my 54cm road bike in the back with both wheels in place. I avg ~25mpg in town which, while not great, isn't bad considering how quick it can be. Has a bit of rumble without being obnoxious.. Totally solid so far; I would buy it again.

I would certainly give the TDi Sportwagen a look; a lot of folks are very happy with them..

oldpotatoe
08-29-2013, 10:20 AM
I owned two Subarus for over 15 years -- Legacy wagon and then Outback. To my mind, the cars have become too expensive, big, and unfortunately "Detroit-ish". Terrible gas mileage in the Outback for very nominal 4-wheel need -- and I live in the in the highest town of the Berkshires in NW Connecticut.

I bought a VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI this late winter. 40 mpg, plenty of room for a complete bike in the back, and more than adequte traction with four snow tires. And, a much better driving experience. I'm outta love with Subarus.

What he said....love my TDI SportWagen

c-record
08-29-2013, 10:40 AM
I really was looking at a manual TDI wagon but wanted the AWD and needed better ground clearance.

johnniecakes
08-29-2013, 11:05 AM
I have had my 2008 Outback since new in August 2008, a great car so far. Before I bought it I drove BWM's, VW, and a Ford. Could find no real reason to spend twice as much for a vehicle that was really no better in any way that mattered. So far getting about 27 MPG around town, 32 in trips down 95. Bought another car for my wife last year, get Forester for her, no better value to be found. There is a reason Subaru has grown more in the last 5 years than any other car company. Plus the warranty was not cancelled......

malcolm
08-29-2013, 11:40 AM
What he said....love my TDI SportWagen

I've got a '11 sportwagen TDI and if you are good with the size I can't imagine a better car. Plenty of torque, sporty drive. I can carry a mtn bike in the back with the seats down but it's tight. I carry a 14' kayak on top no problem and best thing is I get about 32-37 mpg mixed and and low 40s straight up highway.

Bought mine used around 20k with 15k miles and I've put another 15k thus far and no problems. I realize that's not a lot of miles but so far so good.

bigreen505
08-29-2013, 11:48 AM
We haven't owned a Subaru since our college days. It was a great car but it's been quite a few years and I haven't really paid attention to what the company has done in quite a while. Mrs. William is thinking about adding to the fleet and wants a reliable, family friendly car.

So, what model do you/did you own in recent years and how has it treated you?

I have to think there are better options depending on what you really need in a vehicle. Subarus are compromise vehicles, and the compromises they make tick the boxes for a lot of people. Realistic price out the door for a new Outback wagon is about $30,000. They are OK, but definitely built to cost. They seem good for about 100,000 miles, then be prepared to feed the meter to the tune of about $5,000. The new models are nice and the 4 cylinder with CVT gets about 28-30 mpg in mixed driving. It doesn't have enough power to accelerate out of its own way (say accelerating around a truck on the highway, especially going up hill), but once at speed can hold 85 mph up any hill in Colorado. Unless Mrs. William is about 6'5", I would highly recommend the backup camera.

I should note that the power and fuel efficiency are both a function of the CVT transmission, which is a fantastic piece of engineering, but it makes the car feel like you are driving a blender. it does have shifter paddles on the steering wheel, but the transmission shifts faster and more aggressively that you do, and has a nearly infinite number of gears, not just the five you get with the paddles, but the paddles are nice going down hill.

The current models have a lot more useable space, but on some vehicles, putting a rocket box on top creates a noise like a nest of very angry bees (combination of bad gaskets and bad design). In the past, they have had issues with CV joints because the cats are right above the CV boot and cooks them. Not sure if this is an issue on the new models, but I would expect it to be.

Brief history:
2001 - (sister's car) sold with 115,000 miles when it started falling apart and replaced with a 2011. Transmission replaced at 110,000 mi. Clutch, head gaskets, and a whole manner of other things replaced along with the timing belt at 105,000 mi. Most of front suspension and struts, CVs, catalytic converters, O2 and throttle position sensors replaced at 85,000. Random electrical issues and rattles.

2002 - (wife's car) 103,000 miles and it's time to feed the meter on it. Random electrical issues from corroded wiring harnesses and connectors (for example, no working tail lights, but when you step on the brakes, the front turn indicators light up, will cost about $1,000 to fix). Will need CVs, cats, clutch and head gaskets in the next 5,000 - 7,000 miles, along with timing belt and other scheduled maintenance. Looking at replacing it with a friend's 2007 (can't afford a new one right now).

2011 (sister's car) 10,000 miles, better than the older models in every way, but the cloth seats are crap and stain with just water. It had a lot of issues when new and much of the front suspension was replaced, but seems to be OK now. Factory rack is crap, but subtle differences between it and the rack on the 2013 suggests they have made some updates. Subaru USA doesn't really stand behind the products, so make sure you have a dealer/service department that will go to bat for you when needed. The issues we have had with the car, dealer and Subaru make me unsure if I would buy another one.

2013 - (mom's new car) Brand new, no experience, but the new metallic white paint is gorgeous.

If you are looking for a car that gets decent gas mileage, has all wheel drive, has room in the back for two car seats and full size person, pretty large cargo capacity, can comfortably maintain 90 mph, and costs less than $30,000 new, I'm not sure there are many other options. That said, owners tend to talk about these cars like they are flawless and perfect in every way, and that is just not the case. They are good for about 10 years/100,000 miles and then plan to replace it.

torquer
08-29-2013, 12:27 PM
Overall I would say it was a good value but it was not a Serotta of vehicles. ;)

Sounds like they may be working on that...

Subaru USA doesn't really stand behind the products, so make sure you have a dealer/service department that will go to bat for you when needed.

Louis
08-29-2013, 12:35 PM
They are good for about 10 years/100,000 miles and then plan to replace it.

This better be wrong. :eek:

Given that I'm at 262,xxx on my '97 Acura, and am about to replace it with an Impreza, I expect a heck of a lot more miles than just 100k. That should be just barely broken in.

verticaldoug
08-29-2013, 12:39 PM
get a 40 series Toyota Land Cruiser.

layneo59
08-29-2013, 12:59 PM
Have bought 6 over the last 30 years--3 just in the last year. Not a bad one in the bunch so far. The last 3 have been 2 Impreza hatchbacks and recently an Outback wagon with the larger engine.

Only downside is we had was insurance on the 2003 WRX hatchback--best overall car I've ever had (and I've had everything up through a Porsche 996). The insurance was pretty high for a low priced car. The WRX model is driven by a lot of young people and insurance rates are high on the car. So high that a 10 yo WRX had the same rates as a brand new Outback wagon w 3.6 engine.

bigreen505
08-29-2013, 01:08 PM

Given that I'm at 262,xxx on my '97 Acura, and am about to replace it with an Impreza, I expect a heck of a lot more miles than just 100k. That should be just barely broken in.

I figure that most modern cars, if well taken care of, should be good for 250,000 - 300,000 miles. I'm not sure it is worth throwing money at the Subarus to get there. As I said, there are a lot of improvements on the new ones, some aimed just at longevity, but time will tell.

4Rings6Stars
08-29-2013, 01:38 PM

For what it's worth, my family has had half a dozen Subarus over the years that have crossed the 200K miles mark... Body and undercarriage rust is eventually what did them in.

We had 2 that didn't make it there. One (I mentioned earlier) died young with a tree falling on top of it and another my brother drove through a flooded road and water went over the engine.

EA120711
08-29-2013, 01:39 PM
Have a 2012 Outback Limited 2.5 Great car all all around ..The best part is that you get a lot for your money ! If I had to change one thing, I would've opted for the 3.5 V6 as the 4cyl can feel a little underpowered sometimes ( but it's not a deal breaker).

bthornt
08-29-2013, 01:56 PM
I have owned 2 foresters and a wrx, all great cars. I currently own a 2012 Outback with the 3.6 liter 6 cylinder engine, and I have put about 14,000 miles on it. I paid about 30,000. It's a great car, as long as you remember that is basically a raised station wagon and not a sports car or sports sedan. Gets about 25 mpg on the highway, and around 20 in town. I have no problem recommending Subaru to my friends.

sg8357
08-29-2013, 02:12 PM
William, when are you moving to Vermont ?

I had a Subaru XT6, from the Ultraman era of Japanese car design.
Neat car, many weird systems, but it was reliable.
Center diff lock was great on sheet ice.

HenryA
08-29-2013, 02:13 PM
My wife bought a new Outback wagon early last year and 35,000 miles later she absolutely loves it. She's short and I'm pretty tall and we can both drive or ride in comfort, front or rear. No problem taking 5 people on day trips. Great gas mileage. This is her second Subaru. Last one went 11 years before being given away to offspring. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

mhespenheide
08-29-2013, 02:13 PM

As an adult, I've only ever owned Subarus. I've had three: an '86 wagon, a '96 outback, and a second '96 outback. My impression is that after 1999, the company made a decision to move upscale with more luxury options that added weight and decreased fuel economy. They have started to move back away from that in the last few model years, but the "new" Outback are still larger and heavier than they used to be. If you're looking for a small wagon, I think the Forester and Impreza wagons are better.

I think of my Outback as an exceptionally-high-MPG pickup or SUV. In that context, they're terrific. When I used to live in Utah, I took it down some pretty serious dirt roads. If you don't need the AWD, there are better wagon choices out there.

Onno
08-29-2013, 02:21 PM
I bought a used 2010 Outback 2.5 with CVT a few months ago, after looking hard at Volvo XC70. I really need the AWD, or I would have bought the VW wagon, tdi. I paid about 17,000 for it, so much less than a similarly aged and used Volvo that the decision was fairly easy, in the end. I have only owned manual transmissions before, and I still don't know what I think about the CVT. It does drive like mush, but it gets much better gas mileage than I expected--well over 30 on the highway, which is better than the manual Outback, and better than my old 1.8T Passat wagon. So I keep telling myself that I did well. It is comfortable and powerful enough, and because I'm doing a fair bit of gravel and rough road driving, I appreciate the extra clearance too. But it seems to me to have less cargo space in the rear than it should, and rear visibility is poor.

I still haven't come around to thinking that this is a good-looking car, but I've stopped thinking of it as ugly too. The car makes sense; but I don't love it, as I have most of my previous cars.

William
08-29-2013, 02:38 PM
get a 40 series Toyota Land Cruiser.

I like the way you think!:D

But I already get enough grief about my 60 so I think the 40 is out.;)

Thanks again for all the replies. Mrs. William's criteria revolves around reliability, safety, and longevity. She could really care less about high performance.

William

tch
08-29-2013, 02:51 PM
She could really care less about high performance.
William
William: that's "she couldn't care less".

Thank you, the English prof.

William
08-29-2013, 03:07 PM
William: that's "she couldn't care less".

Thank you, the English prof.

What ever you think about performance, she really could care less.....;););)

William

d_douglas
08-29-2013, 03:20 PM
We have a 2005 Forester - nice car for sure, but I wonder if you will be driving this thing? I am 6'1" and find it too small for me by a long shot. I have two small legs kisking the back of my seat so I cannot move any further back.

If you are driving this car, William, there's gonna be problems.......

William
08-29-2013, 03:28 PM
We have a 2005 Forester - nice car for sure, but I wonder if you will be driving this thing? I am 6'1" and find it too small for me by a long shot. I have two small legs kisking the back of my seat so I cannot move any further back.

That is something to consider since I'm sure there would be times I need to drive it. When we had our Subie wagon, we didn't have children so I had no issues driving it. Now we have kids and one of them is already as tall as I am. That will certainly make things interesting. Maybe we need a crew cab pick up???:D

William

rphetteplace
08-29-2013, 05:24 PM
99 outback
02 WRX
08 STI

All been great cars. Super fun and I fit in them which is more than I can say for most Honda's. The first 2 were pretty much problem free, the STI I blew the engine with 11K on it (whoops). Subaru replaced it NQA.

cmbicycles
08-29-2013, 06:38 PM
My wife drives a 98 outback. Gets good mileage overall for a 15 yr old car. It tows moderately well for a 4 cyl, and holds everything we need for long trips. No issues, other than having to replace two doors when it got hit on the side, and regular maintenance. 150k miles so far but plenty of life left, but doesn't have that new car smell anymore...smells more like our dogs and kids now. ;)

bart998
08-29-2013, 08:09 PM
I recently rented a Legacy sedan and was really impressed with the quality and comfort. I'm thinking I will add one to my fleet soon.

Dromen
08-29-2013, 09:19 PM
50,000mi (i should bike more) in 2.5yrs. Feels like it could go another million.

TheWolfsMouth
08-29-2013, 09:30 PM
97 legacy wagon with 165k. Driven all over the US. she's the best.

Louis
08-29-2013, 09:37 PM
As I think I've said elsewhere, after I put down my deposit for my Impreza (they have to special-order the manual transmission) I jokingly told the salesman that I expected the Subie to be at least as reliable as my Integra, and as an example I mentioned that I had 260k + miles on the clutch, and all I had done is change the radiator and one brake caliper. He said that I was perhaps being a bit too optimistic...

I will be more than happy if the maintenance costs of the Impreza are less than or equal to twice what I've had to pay for the Integra over the same period of time (16 years & 260k miles).

dustyrider
08-29-2013, 10:12 PM
Had an '86 hatchback with a 3" lift. They had dual range trannies back in the day. Body had 180,000 when i got it, over 230,000 when i was done. The thing kicked major azz, still see it rocking around town every now and then. Currently have an '03 impreza wagon with just over 100,000 on the clock. Got it ~6 years ago with 75,000. No major issues to speak of, they're the Legos of cars, so even if there was an issue it's stupid easy to fix. I think if I was looking for a new car I'd be interested in the forester, since it's smaller than the outback, and I'm not a huge fan of the modern wagon's look. Though if you can justify the size the crosstrek has slightly more appealing look, to me.
What I really want is a true hatchback, I've always loved the look of a three door combined with the utility form factor. Then again I'm single with a dog and bikes...

beercan
08-29-2013, 10:21 PM
old subaru before 2000 are great, i think the money you spend on a nice subaru models today you can get a nicer looking care for sure, thats one thing about subarus, kind of ugly but works well. In my opinion subaru cars have crap gas mileage, it should be better with the tech available today, my forester is a gas hog and i dont drive much, i like that new model they have but dont expect newer subarus to have the same durability as the one's that are revered.

Louis
08-29-2013, 10:32 PM
The mileage has improved for the models where they switched from the 2.5l to the 2.0l engine. Full-time AWD is definitely a full-time drag on gas mileage.

PacNW2Ford
08-29-2013, 11:32 PM
I just sold a 2004 WRX, paid $22k in '04, got $9.5k, which was below book. 37% of new after 9.5 years. No troubles in 90k miles.

akelman
08-29-2013, 11:42 PM
We've owned a Legacy wagon, a Forester, and an Outback, Louis. We never had a bit of trouble from any of them. As others have said, and as you already know, the mileage isn't as good as one might want. The interior finish isn't by any means refined. And the handling probably isn't going to make you forget your Integra (though this may be less true in the case of the WRX). But they're absolutely reliable, fantastic in bad weather (whether rain or snow, in my experience), and, as someone just said, hold their value very, very well. For what it's worth, if I hadn't fallen in love with a stupid car, I absolutely would have bought a WRX or a VW Sportwagen. Frankly, I probably should have.

Louis
08-29-2013, 11:44 PM
For what it's worth, if I hadn't fallen in love with a stupid car, I absolutely would have bought a WRX or a VW Sportwagen. Frankly, I probably should have.

This doesn't sound good. How's the C30 doing? Not well?

akelman
08-29-2013, 11:46 PM
This doesn't sound good. How's the C30 doing? Not well?

No, it's great. I love it. But it was still almost certainly not a smart purchase. I blame my ongoing midlife crisis. And being a lifelong idiot.

Louis
08-29-2013, 11:49 PM
No, it's great. I love it. But it was still almost certainly not a smart purchase. I blame my ongoing midlife crisis. And being a lifelong idiot.

That's good. :)

You can only have one midlife crisis, you might as well celebrate it. At least you didn't buy a Corvette, or some AMG Mercedes. ;)

akelman
08-30-2013, 12:01 AM
You can only have one midlife crisis, you might as well celebrate it. At least you didn't buy a Corvette, or some AMG Mercedes. ;)

If they were still making new Audi A3 TDIs, I might have bought one of those. Does that count?

akelman
08-30-2013, 12:03 AM
Of course what I really wanted was a Volvo V40 wagon. But since this is the United States, we can't have nice things.

Louis
08-30-2013, 12:05 AM
If they were still making new Audi A3 TDIs, I might have bought one of those. Does that count?

I don't think anything that gets above 50 mpg can be considered a mid-life crisis, even if it does look fast.

Elefantino
08-30-2013, 12:37 AM
We bought a new XV CrossTrek in May. 2,700 miles now and it's a very nice car. Vertically stiff yet laterally compliant. Or maybe the other way around. It planes nicely on the interstate, though. And it has a backup camera. And really cool boy-racer wheels. And it talks to you.

martl
08-30-2013, 02:25 AM
I own an ancient '99 Forester Turbo which i bought as an 11-year old vehicle practically blind on the phone ("does it have a full service history and is it accident-free? yes? ok, i'll take it").
I just replaced some wear and tear parts and it hasn't let me down once apart from that one time when the original factory-supplied battery died, which was my fault.

i rate Subaru highly as they don't do all the fancy stuff, giving me gadgets i don't want and need, and focus on giving me rock-solid technology that just works very well. Affordable spares and garage fees.
At 170hp, t is basically a downtuned Impreza WRX with space and outperforms many more modern cars at the cost of a set of fancy wheels for a new BMW. Plus it has what is still still the best 4x4 system in any roadgoing car. Having a center diff, it even won't switch it off when you actually use it like other brands clutch-operated ones...
It is a delight to drive on the road, on snow and even on the occasional gravel road.

A vehicle that doesn't try to be an expression of my personality or a fashion item, but succeeds in being a reliable, useful tool.

ckamp
08-30-2013, 02:46 AM
Had a 2006 impreza wagon and just sold it for a 2013 forester touring model. There may still be some large cash incentives for 2013 stock!

Nothing but good things for me.

Get about 9.6L/100km in city / some highway (24.5MPG).

BobC
08-30-2013, 06:36 AM
I am on my second Subaru (prior 96 Legacy wagon & now 2003 Outback with 120K miles on it now). Once Son #1 turns 16 in a couple years I'll be handing the Outback to him & buying another one. Why?

- You can still get one for $23K - $25K. I don't want or need all those super fancy gadgets (it IS a station wagon after all. It is transportation not a reflection of my self importance). This is not a luxury vehicle.

- Super roomy. I put more stuff in my car (almost as much as my wife's minivan)

- Maintenance is relatively inexpensive. I got buddies with Volvos, etc, & I hear the horror stories with repair costs. I also change my own oil & do a couple other minoir maintenance things on it. Pretty easy IMHO.

- They are solid but DO THE REGULAR MAINTENANCE.

Please note the head gaskets: after ~100K-120K you'll need to be mindful of this. My Outback needed this done (but my Legacy didn't).

My wife is on her third Honda, but I wouldn't touch them (I think their quality & reliability has decreased significantly).

Dromen
08-30-2013, 06:37 AM
old subaru before 2000 are great, i think the money you spend on a nice subaru models today you can get a nicer looking care for sure, thats one thing about subarus, kind of ugly but works well. In my opinion subaru cars have crap gas mileage, it should be better with the tech available today, my forester is a gas hog and i dont drive much, i like that new model they have but dont expect newer subarus to have the same durability as the one's that are revered.

I get 31-33 on highway in 4 cyclinder outback going 70mph. THis is on summer gas. Subtract 5 on winter gas.

William
08-30-2013, 08:06 AM
So, is the Baja basically an Outback with the rear roof portion removed (making it a short bed-El Camino-crew cab-pick-up type of thing)?

William

Climb01742
08-30-2013, 08:06 AM
If VW sold a Passat TDI sports wagon with 4motion, it would be the ideal cyclist car in places with winters. My guess as to why they don't is to give their SUVs some reason to exist.

malcolm
08-30-2013, 10:11 AM
If VW sold a Passat TDI sports wagon with 4motion, it would be the ideal cyclist car in places with winters. My guess as to why they don't is to give their SUVs some reason to exist.

It would be the perfect car. I know they have the Passat TDI wagon in Europe, not sure if 4motion is avail or not. I've heard the wagon is coming to the us but not heard a date.

mistermo
08-30-2013, 10:29 AM

BMW just intro'd their 3 series, Xdrive, diesel wagon. $40K+

Onno
08-30-2013, 12:02 PM
I'm not sure why VW won't "compete" with Audi in North America, but does in Europe. That's what folks at our VW dealership say when I ask them about why there isn't a VW AWD TDI wagon.

CNY rider
08-30-2013, 01:27 PM
I am not a "car guy". I am as interested in my car as I am in my refrigerator or toaster.
I now own my third Subaru (Outback wagon this time).
It's the perfect car for me.
Not a lot of frills or bells and whistles. AWD performs incredibly well in the upstate NY winter.
And very reliable in general.
What more could I ask for?

William
08-30-2013, 04:44 PM

Stopped by a dealership today to check out a Forester. Put drivers seat all the way back...tight but doable. Then left it there and tried to get in back....no way. Both of our kids are getting giant like me and I can't see them riding in back for any length of time and staying comfortable. Saw an Element while I was there and checked it out....amazing amount of space for the size of the vehicle. Drivers seat all the way back I could sit in back and flop my legs all over the place.

William

Climb01742
08-30-2013, 04:53 PM
I'm not sure why VW won't "compete" with Audi in North America, but does in Europe. That's what folks at our VW dealership say when I ask them about why there isn't a VW AWD TDI wagon.

That makes corporate sense, but its frustrating for us consumers. An A4 Avant AWD is much more expensive than a Passat wagon. Love how Avants look and drive but geez they're pricey. My GTI has rekindled my affection for VWs.

SteveV0983
08-30-2013, 04:54 PM
I have the opposite space issue in my 2011 Legacy. I'm 6' and can comfortably drive with another 6' friend sitting comfortably behind me. Not even close to hitting his knees. I can also put the seats down, take the front wheel off my bike and fit it in the back with no problem at all. Oddly, my Dad liked it so much he went out and bought a Forester but then sold it after a year because he just didn't care for it (but he still loves my Legacy). No snow here in Florida, but plenty of rain and the AWD of the Legacy is like nothing I've driven before including a 4WD Toyota Pickup. The Subaru is flawless in the rain.

benb
08-30-2013, 08:05 PM
We have a 2013 Outback Limited with the 4-cylinder + CVT.. we got out the door a good bit under $30k. It was tough to find but I got one without the sunroof and backup camera, that saved $1500, there is no way I need the backup camera and I am happy to have the extra 2" of headroom. (I'm 6'1", the car has great room, the back seat is great too for me.)

I love the CVT, I would not go back to a normal automatic. We have a 6-cylinder Accord as well and I hate hate hate that auto every time I drive it. (Love the car, hate the transmission.) Previous to the Outback I owned nothing but manual transmissions. New Outbacks and Foresters do not have the old engine that had the head gasket issues.. something to be aware of. I think that started around 2010 in the Forester and 2013 in the Outback.

The Outback is a fantastic family car, my wife likes it so much she wants to get another one, which I think would be a bit creepy.. I seem to get worse gas mileage than most of you, I drive in Boston traffic, I get 24-26 most of the time. On road trips I can get 29-30mpg even driving through the mountains (mostly up to Vermont) but it drops down to around 28 on the highway with bicycles on top. It's a great vehicle for that btw.. easy to load/unload the roof rack, and the car may not be fast but it doesn't really care about loads, it does about the same empty or completely loaded up.

If you want AWD I don't see how the Jetta is a competitor.. the Outback is a good bit bigger, it's AWD, and it's not a VW. There are not many AWD vehicles which can match the Outback's performance & fuel economy. (By performance I mean not getting stuck) I had a rental AWD Ford Edge recently.. we could barely get 20mpg out of it on the highway.

The winter thing is not just the all wheel drive.. Subarus just kind of have all these little touches that are really well thought out for winter. Really fantastic wipers, really fantastic wiper de-icer, really fantastic defrosters, etc..

For a family car I would want to check the new small overlap frontal crash test too.. There are very few cars that do well on it... the Outback & Legacy do well.

Louis
08-30-2013, 08:08 PM
I love the CVT, I would not go back to a normal automatic. We have a 6-cylinder Accord as well and I hate hate hate that auto every time I drive it. (Love the car, hate the transmission.) Previous to the Outback I owned nothing but manual transmissions.

Interesting. I went out of my way to get a manual transmission for my Impreza. I test drove a manual, but didn't bother to check out the CVT. I figured the manual would be more fun to drive.

Louis
08-30-2013, 09:15 PM
Of course what I really wanted was a Volvo V40 wagon. But since this is the United States, we can't have nice things.

Ari, how about this one instead? ;)

BBC Link (http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20130830-volvos-retro-futurist)

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/wwautos/624_351/images/live/p0/1f/y9/p01fy9nx.jpg

tch
08-30-2013, 10:48 PM
Stopped by a dealership today to check out a Forester. Put drivers seat all the way back...tight but doable. Then left it there and tried to get in back....no way. Both of our kids are getting giant like me and I can't see them riding in back for any length of time and staying comfortable. Saw an Element while I was there and checked it out....amazing amount of space for the size of the vehicle. Drivers seat all the way back I could sit in back and flop my legs all over the place.William

If size like this is gonna be an issue, then the TDI probably won't satisfy. I wouldn't buy one, but I the three people I know who "fit" the Element demographic love them.

Or... everyone hates them, but they're incredibly utiliarian... an AWD Dodge minivan. I had one for a long time: big, easy to use, 22-24 mpg, and cheap to repair. They have a definite life span, but you can get 'em lightly used cheap.

akelman
08-30-2013, 11:02 PM
Ari, how about this one instead? ;)

BBC Link (http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20130830-volvos-retro-futurist)

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/wwautos/624_351/images/live/p0/1f/y9/p01fy9nx.jpg

I like it, though I think they could have more closely echoed the P1600. As it is, I'd still prefer a V40 wagon.