PDA

View Full Version : Portland, Or recommendations?

roguedog
08-28-2013, 01:31 PM
So.. speaking of Portland, I'm going up there and staying at a friend's place next week while they're outta town. I'll actually be on the other side (WA) of the river though.. if that makes a difference.

Looking for recommendations for eats, rides, shops, and whatever else you think one should see or experience up there.

I've been there before.. way back before it was quite so hip so I've sorta seen the Gorge, though I never hiked it.

Thanks in advance!

PS. Yes I searched on this site was surprised not to find much info. Maybe because of the site transfer older posts got lost or maybe because of bad search foo...

bianchi10
08-28-2013, 10:24 PM
So.. speaking of Portland, I'm going up there and staying at a friend's place next week while they're outta town. I'll actually be on the other side (WA) of the river though.. if that makes a difference.

Looking for recommendations for eats, rides, shops, and whatever else you think one should see or experience up there.

I've been there before.. way back before it was quite so hip so I've sorta seen the Gorge, though I never hiked it.

Thanks in advance!

PS. Yes I searched on this site was surprised not to find much info. Maybe because of the site transfer older posts got lost or maybe because of bad search foo...

Check out Rivercity Bikes (706 SE Martin Luther King Jr Blvd, Portland, OR 97214). Great bike shop, lots to look through. Are you bringing your bike and wanting to ride? If so, do you like some climbs or looking for more of a spinning route?

TheWolfsMouth
08-28-2013, 10:50 PM
You can check out my blogsite (www.thewolfsmouth.com) for PDX cycling haunts. Check out Velo Cult, Bike shop, Pub, and events - beyond any regular bike shop. Other shops, Western & West End. Go to rubbertotheroad.com for all your essential Portland/Wa riding routes. Hustle through Forrest Park/Saltzman for some good local close in off-road.

bianchi10
08-28-2013, 10:53 PM
oh yeah, western bike works is a good one too!

Mike V
08-28-2013, 11:13 PM
I was in Portland two weeks ago and followed krhea notes.

River City and Velo Cult are a must.

http://http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=1082280

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

KidWok
08-28-2013, 11:48 PM
More micro breweries than coffee shops in Pearl District. Fried chicken and greens at the Screen Door. Voodoo doughnuts with Stumptown coffee right next door...get the espresso. I love the Japanese Gardens...could zen out all day there.

Tai

roguedog
08-29-2013, 08:03 AM
Hey thanks everyone. Looking forward to getting outta Dodge.. way too much work and family stuff these past few months. Need the downtime.

I'll be renting bikes from Veloce and probably doing some Gorge rides. Also probably a hike or two. Not looking for any "epic" rides - just 30-40 miles since I'm with a relatively new rider.

dogdriver
08-29-2013, 08:15 AM
My favorite breakfast on the planet at Bijou.Cafe-- 3rd Ave/Pine. Stumptown is next door in case you don't drink enough coffee at Bijou. Food carts everywhere, but a couple rows of them in that part of town. Fantastic Philly Cheesesteaks from a cart in Pioneer Courthouse Square. It continues... If I lived in Portland, I'd weigh 400 pounds.

roguedog
08-29-2013, 08:21 AM
If I lived in Portland, I'd weigh 400 pounds.

pffft... :p :help:

My comment last night was... "No wonder they ride bikes! Look at all the good looking food options!"

Thanks for the recs. Will check them out if I can.

Vientomas
08-29-2013, 08:45 AM
A couple of my Gorge favs:

http://troutlakewashington.com/business/events-2/mt-adams-bicycle-tour/

I prefer the "Forest Loop"

http://www.mapmyride.com/us/hood-river-or/seven-mile-hill-loop-hood-river-mosier-r-route-8567946

I prefer to do this ride in a clock-wise fashion: Hood River/Mosier/The Dalles/7 Mile Hill/Mosier/Hood River.

Have fun!

raygunner
08-29-2013, 11:12 AM
I had a great brunch here:

http://www.besaws.com/

Climb01742
08-29-2013, 02:28 PM
Check out Powell Books, possibly the best book shop in America.

William
08-29-2013, 02:35 PM
Check out Powell Books, possibly the best book shop in America.

+100

Takes up a full city block, four or five stories tall, with a second location near by. A book lovers heaven. I could easily spend a full day wandering around in there....and I have.:)

William

bianchi10
08-29-2013, 03:06 PM
Some great riding in the west hills also like Skyline, germantown, Thomson. All 3 of these run into eachother so if you are over in this area, you will have options to ride and climb for a long time.

shinomaster
08-29-2013, 03:57 PM
Anywhere but Voodoo donuts.

Bostic
08-29-2013, 05:55 PM
I was there for the 4th of July. Larch Mountain is a nice longer climb with a great view at the top on a clear day. Corbett Hill road from 84 to E. Crown Point highway is a wicked climb.

Voodoo Donuts Too off of Burnside was packed when we went. The design of the building though is setup for long lines.

alessandro
08-29-2013, 07:01 PM

Haven't been to PDX in many years, but I have had:

http://beersandears.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/IMG_0404-e1343016853236-605x806.jpg

bart998
08-29-2013, 08:03 PM
Been to Portland many times in the past few years....

I really like breakfast at Biscuits Cafe, there are several locations, (biscuitscafe.com/) especially if you like fresh corned beef hash and anything with locally grown Marionberry jam and syrups.

My favorite pub is Hobworks Urban Brewery
(the HUB, http://hopworksbeer.com/)
Great food and microbrewery with a cycling theme... check out the 50 or so bike frames over the bar and pick up a souvenir jersey while your there...

saturday market along the waterfront downtown is great after a breakfast of self-cooked pancakes at Slappycakes. Then, since your already downtown, go over to Powells books. Biggest bookstore I've ever seen.

Have a great trip!

William
08-29-2013, 08:13 PM

The line around that place is crazy!

William

William
08-29-2013, 08:17 PM
Some great riding in the west hills also like Skyline, germantown, Thomson. All 3 of these run into eachother so if you are over in this area, you will have options to ride and climb for a long time.

Yup. Skyline, Old Skline, Logie trail, drop down Newberry to Suavie Island, etc.... Or head out through Oregon City and follow the Clackamas river out toward Estacada....lots of great places to ride.

William

krhea
08-29-2013, 08:28 PM
+100

Way overhyped for tourists and not at all that good of an actual donut. There are many great donut places as well as cupcake places to visit then to waste time and money on VooDoo.

roguedog
09-07-2013, 09:05 PM
Everyone.. thanks for the suggestions. Had a lovely time in Portland.

Want to send out a extra special shout out to KRhea. I can't tell you the number of times I referenced his suggestions from his email. Many, many thanks Krhea for making this much needed trip fun, restful and interesting!

LOVED PORTLAND.. well, the Gorge and the surrounding area. :banana::banana:

Just what I needed.

ahpook
09-07-2013, 09:38 PM
aw i didn't see this till too late. if this thread resurfaces at some point in the future (or if there are other forum-ites looking to ride) hit me up. i'm in close-in southeast pdx and always love to meet folks to talk bikes, brews, coffee, whatevers.

ahpook
09-07-2013, 09:40 PM
for the record blue star donuts blows voodoo out of the water.