PDA

View Full Version : Cannondale CX

iRide
08-27-2013, 09:18 PM
I can get a super good deal on a Cannondale SuperX. Should I spend the money on the disc brake version with SRAM Force and carbon wheels, or the one with canti's and 105 for 700$ less?

Bruce K
08-27-2013, 09:26 PM
I've ridden both and it's really up to you and your budget. for most conditions the canti bike is just fine.

If I was a competitive racer and this was going to be my "go to" bike then I'd strongly consider the disc bike but remember that you will ultimately need at least a second set of wheels and tires.

if you go with the canti version you probably already have some wheels that will work.

Either way, the Super-X is a really nice cross machine.

BK

gavingould
08-27-2013, 10:12 PM
i haven't ridden either of them, but they are pretty popular around here with one shop team in particular, both disc and canti versions... Tim Johnson's Red hydro disc version looked pretty good when he was mopping the course with us a couple days ago.

105 and Force are both great groups, for me i'd go disc if i were buying a new cx race bike this year. i imagine my next cx/gravel bike will be disc, maybe by the time i buy another one there won't be many canti options...

jpw
08-28-2013, 02:46 AM
I can get a super good deal on a Cannondale SuperX. Should I spend the money on the disc brake version with SRAM Force and carbon wheels, or the one with canti's and 105 for 700$ less?

disc mechanical or disc hydro? i know nothing about SRAM products.

Bruce K
08-28-2013, 04:54 AM
If you have the money I'd go hydro and skip right over hydro hybrid (cable actuated master cylinders).

The one I ride was mechanical and it was fine but I wasn't riding in the muddy, wet, freezing stuff that was at Nationals.

I know it sounds obvious but if you get single sided calipers setup/adjustment is especially important

BK

mtnbkr
08-28-2013, 06:03 AM
I just went with a superx non-disc and it's not upgradeable. Got a good deal on a closeout so can't complain. From what everyone tells me, disc isn't necessary and might be worth holding out for better stuff to trickle in over the next year or two. Best bet is getting one you can upgrade to later.

Bruce K
08-28-2013, 06:32 AM
Again, I think a lot depends on usage

For me, canti is fine for my level of cross riding/racing (if you call it that :rolleyes:) but my gravel bike will be disc.

BK

laupsi
08-28-2013, 07:18 AM
have a Cannondale Caad X purchased last year w/Shimano Ultegra and Disc Brakes. 1st generation of this braking system. One year later I wish I had the canti brakes. love the bike though!

KonaSS
08-28-2013, 07:24 AM
if you care about resale value and where the market is heading, I would get the disc brakes.

RacerJRP
08-28-2013, 08:01 AM
Personally I still do not think the disc brake stuff is good enough yet and I would (am) staying with a Canti setup for at least one more season.

JayBay
08-28-2013, 11:19 AM
I've got 3 weeks of road riding and the D2R2 under my belt on my new Crux with SRAM hydro disc brakes, and the jury is definitely in. I love them. They're powerful, modulate better than anything, and just feel great. Confident stopping from 50+ mph over and over again last weekend, no signs of fade. This fall will put them to the real test during cross racing, but so far I'm totally smitten with them, no complaints at all.

That's just my 2 cents.

mtnbkr
08-28-2013, 02:07 PM
Personally I still do not think the disc brake stuff is good enough yet and I would (am) staying with a Canti setup for at least one more season.

Just like what happened on mountain bikes. The early stuff was bad, but now disc is the way to go for mountain bikes. I think it's pretty rare to find a decent spec mountain bike with non-disc.

I think the biggest hurdle for CX disc is also the hub spacing and wheel compatibility. Road is 130mm spaced and I believe CX is generally 135 if it's disc, but still 130mm for standard cantis. I would expect the lower end disc brakes, just like ones found on mountain bikes, to just plain suck. If they're ultegra/DA or Force/Red level stuff, I'd expect them to actually be better.