PDA

View Full Version : Gloucester GP is ON !!!!

Bruce K
08-27-2013, 08:44 PM
Officially approved by the City Council tonight !!!!

:banana::banana::banana:

BK

1centaur
08-27-2013, 08:51 PM
Good news!

MattTuck
08-27-2013, 08:55 PM
Awesome. I'm going this year. God forbid it's the last year.

Bruce K
08-27-2013, 08:58 PM
Not sure of space here at Chez K but will update.

We will probably do a little something as we are about 2 mikes from the venue

BK

Louis
08-27-2013, 09:28 PM
Officially approved by the City Council tonight !!!!

:banana::banana::banana:

Do you guys plan any changes / pro-active moves to build support and prevent it from being quite as iffy next year?

Bruce K
08-27-2013, 09:35 PM
I've got nothing to do with it.

Hopefully the organizers will do a better job with community relations but it also would not surprise me if they move somewhere else next year where the locals will be more supportive.

Personally, I hope it stays here as there is no other venue that has all the elements of Gloucester, especially the iconic waterfront vistas.

BK

merlinmurph
08-28-2013, 06:31 AM
Haven't been there in a few years, might have to swing by this year. I love bringing the camera and trying to get some good shots.

Bruce K
08-28-2013, 06:34 AM
It appears the beach and big runup MAY not be part of the course this year

Beach due to non-related environmental issues and the runup as a concession to the locals

BK

gemship
08-28-2013, 07:28 AM
Do you guys plan any changes / pro-active moves to build support and prevent it from being quite as iffy next year?

I'm quoting you here Louis because you ask a great question. Being a cyclist and Gloucester resident not to mention next best thing to native as I wasn't born here just lived here most of my life. I love Stage Fort Park however the city has done things with the park relegating a sizable chunk of it's real estate over the years to activities. For examples they ruined a nice grassy area to make a volleyball court. They reduced parking space to make a doggy park. There is an extensive amount of space dedicated to kids swings and jungle gyms. There is a baseball field. I am sure there is a contingent of gardeners who would like to make more flower beds. The point is the city never took this park to the nines, it's not pristine. It's views certainly are. It's an activity venue and the grass there really isn't maintained all that much aside from being mowed and litter picked up. In fact there is a beach there that was haphazardly preserved and is being virtually eroded all at the same time with it's own seawall but that is another story.

Anyway I love the biking and effort I love the park, I like the people watching there so I figure why not keep the race there at the same time I am somewhat ambivalent about it. I think Paul Boudreau among other organizers really shouldn't blink an eye at putting up the 10k bond up front as requested to help with repairs. This event has become profitable/recognized professionally and it's the right thing to.

JayBay
08-28-2013, 01:21 PM
Registration is open on BikeReg, and it's filling up fast!!!

https://www.bikereg.com/Net/20293

krhea
08-28-2013, 01:24 PM
Good to hear!

moose8
08-28-2013, 01:31 PM
Would men's cat 4/5 for someone who's never done one be appropriate? Or is this one of those things that wouldn't be good for someone new to it.

moose8
08-28-2013, 01:57 PM
After consulting with a friend who has done it, I'm signed up for the cat 4/5 men 35+ category, comfortable with the knowledge that I will start and finish way at the back, but it will be fun. And I checked to see if I knew anyone else registered, and was pleasantly shocked to see that the singer of a couple of my favorite bands (Galaxie 500 and Luna) was also registered in my same category.

BumbleBeeDave
08-28-2013, 02:38 PM
I'm quoting you here Louis because you ask a great question. Being a cyclist and Gloucester resident not to mention next best thing to native as I wasn't born here just lived here most of my life. I love Stage Fort Park however the city has done things with the park relegating a sizable chunk of it's real estate over the years to activities. For examples they ruined a nice grassy area to make a volleyball court. They reduced parking space to make a doggy park. There is an extensive amount of space dedicated to kids swings and jungle gyms. There is a baseball field. I am sure there is a contingent of gardeners who would like to make more flower beds. The point is the city never took this park to the nines, it's not pristine. It's views certainly are. It's an activity venue and the grass there really isn't maintained all that much aside from being mowed and litter picked up. In fact there is a beach there that was haphazardly preserved and is being virtually eroded all at the same time with it's own seawall but that is another story.

Imagine the gall of the city fathers! Exploiting the park to give residents totally unnecessary things like a playground for their kids and a baseball field! And a doggy park?!? Who in Gloucester has a dog?!? :rolleyes:

Come on, man . . . It's the city park. Not the city cyclocross park. ;)

BBD

dyerwolf
08-28-2013, 03:49 PM
Thanks Bruce. This is a good excuse to cruise up to tip of Cape Ann and bring the kids. I'll keep an eye out for any press/outreach and hope for better weather this year.

Bruce K
08-28-2013, 04:35 PM
Cat 3 at 124 for a foeld of 125 both days

Others fields are loading up.

It looks like we're hosting Nicole Duke and Ben Berden.

BK

gemship
08-28-2013, 05:01 PM
Imagine the gall of the city fathers! Exploiting the park to give residents totally unnecessary things like a playground for their kids and a baseball field! And a doggy park?!? Who in Gloucester has a dog?!? :rolleyes:

Come on, man . . . It's the city park. Not the city cyclocross park. ;)

BBD

I really don't think you read my post right but I am sure your more knowledgeable about your community than mine.The irony about the dog park Dave is that it's a mixed bag of support amongst the dog owners. Most of them don't care for it. It's all they can do to walk their dog at the end of long day. They like to take their dogs to any place but a fenced in dog park, they are aware of leash laws and some have fine dogs that can be trusted off the leash. More irony still is that a small contingent of supporters for the dog park are not supportive of your cyclocross racing event. In their eyes your taking their parking spot and blocking access to their park. The dog park essentially limited available parking to the Park in general. You'll see what I mean when you show up there this year. Aside from that supporters of the baseball field and the dog park really don't want racers like you there, your ruining their turf. Irony, that is all.

Me I think some of the locals make a valid point in not liking the race after what happened last year, however it is a nice boost for local business we hope. The 10k bond should take care of the repair needs and it's appropriate, nuff said. I was there today and a huge percentage of the grass is burnt yellow and not growing so there is some more irony still. Educate yourself on all things Stage Fort Park, enjoy your stay at Gloucester and spend some money at local businesses please. For the boost in tourism is a big motivator for the city council to give the go ahead this year. Gloucester is a beautiful seaside city with lots of little sandy beaches as well as a sizable acreage of woodsy open space land with reservoirs and also has the highest sewer and water rates in the country. It's America's oldest fishing port and the fishing industry is dying. The cities harbor is screwed with DPA regulation the limits it's uses to anything but fishing industry related. The city is really helpless to figure out how to expand upon it's tourism base. I'm not sure the Brewer's Cup really brings in all that much money to local business and is worth the hassle but it's nice to think so.

pakora
08-28-2013, 05:13 PM
And I checked to see if I knew anyone else registered, and was pleasantly shocked to see that the singer of a couple of my favorite bands (Galaxie 500 and Luna) was also registered in my same category.

I don't know why I find this amazing, but I do (I was a big fan of both bands).

Hopefully he comes down for some MAC or PACX races :D