PDA

View Full Version : Building my first bike, please help me?

bloody sunday
08-27-2013, 01:45 PM
Hey everyone. I've been perusing serotta forums/paceline for a while, and after many sleepless nights perusing craigslist obsessively for a complete bike, I've decided to just take the advice of my friends and build my own with everything that I want (can afford).

I am not building a dream bike with the best components, but I know at least what I want, and I wanted to know as much as I can before I dive head first into this project. School is going right now, so I can't ride much anyway, so right now seems like the perfect time to take my time (sorta) and build one (i do want it built within the next month or two).

I know I want at least a carbon or titanium frame. Aluminum would be fine, if it's the right geo.

I know I want Ultegra Di2, and I know I want at the very least a good semi lightweight wheelset that can accommodate a Clydesdale.

Do you think this can be all said and done for around $1300? I know I won't be able to get the best of everything by any stretch of the imagination, but I just want to know if you guys think it will be possible?

Another question is, when sourcing the gruppo, is there a difference in kit if it's internal or external? Are there things I should look out for that could potentially put me in a tight spot (like buying an internal gruppo and having a frame that can't equip it, etc.)?

Thanks for all the help and input, all :beer:

MattTuck
08-27-2013, 02:00 PM
I think you'd be hard-pressed to find all that for under 1300. But good luck! :banana:

Would you consider buying a quality frame and hanging cheap wheels/group on it? Then you could upgrade the wheels and components as you get the money.

bloody sunday
08-27-2013, 02:02 PM
I think you'd be hard-pressed to find all that for under 1300. But good luck! :banana:

Would you consider buying a quality frame and hanging cheap wheels/group on it? Then you could upgrade the wheels and components as you get the money.

yeah, i'm thinking it's a pipe dream. How much should I save for what I want then?

RedRider
08-27-2013, 02:04 PM
$1300 will not buy you a new Ultegra DI2 group. A pair of new, well built relatively lightweight wheels start at around $700. A new Cannondale CAAD 10 frameset (aluminum) is about $850. Then you need bars, saddle, stem, tires, etc...

bloody sunday
08-27-2013, 02:06 PM
$1300 will not buy you a new Ultegra DI2 group. A pair of new, well built relatively lightweight wheels start at around $700. A new Cannondale CAAD 10 frameset (aluminum) is about $850. Then you need bars, saddle, stem, tires, etc...

I'm not planning on buying anything new.

bloody sunday
08-27-2013, 02:11 PM
what else would I need after I buy this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Shimano-6770-Di2-Ultegra-Shifter-Derailleurs-Junction-Box-Electronic-Group-/111149103136?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19e100b820

?

Black Dog
08-27-2013, 02:19 PM
The electronic group will eat up most of your budget and leave you on a cheap frame. Buy the best (well fitting) frame you can afford and upgrade parts over time; as was said above.

Mark McM
08-27-2013, 02:22 PM
While there is an idea out there that you can save money by building it yourself, the reality is that building a bike from parts usually costs more money than buying a complete bike.

If bought new, an Ultegra Di2 system by itself would exceed your $1300 budget. Even if bought used at half the retail price, it would still not leave enough in your budget for the rest of the bike. In a quest for a quality bike in your budget, you might want to consider using a mechanical group instead*.

*In my opinion, current electronic groups are a step down in performance. They weigh more, and shift slower than a well tuned mechanical group.

Fishbike
08-27-2013, 02:32 PM
To complete the group, you will need brakes and cables, cassette, chain, crankset and possibly a bottom bracket.

To complete the bike you will need:

frame
headset
stem
possibly spacers
bars
bar tape
seatpost
saddle
possibly seatpost clamp
possibly FD clamp
wheels
rim strips
tires
tubes
small parts for cables
water bottle and cage

One can build many great bikes with a $1300 budget if you shop prudently. But that budget get will not get you DI2. Besides, while it is certainly possible to use DI2 as part of your first build, it will add complexity to you first build.

If you want DI2 and decent wheels, you will have to at least double your budget IMHO.

If you want to stick with $1300 for a complete bike, you are looking at Shimano 105, Sram Apex or Campy Veloce groupsets if you want new and a ton of other possibilities and combinations if you are willing to hunt for used.

Good luck!

oliver1850
08-27-2013, 02:46 PM
I think you might be able to do it, although I don't know what the battery, wiring, etc. will set you back to make the ebay parts workable. You're going to have to compensate with cheaper wheels, frameset, and the contact points in order to have the electronic shifting.

I've seen good modern conventionally equipped used bikes for well under $1,000. A friend sold his year old Giant TCR with 105 for $850. Something like that is where I would suggest you start. TCR/CAAD9/Allez etc with 105 or Tiagra. Latch onto the DI2 bits as you can, whether used or closeout. When you have everything in hand, convert and cash in the mechanical stuff for what you can get out of it - for a start towards a better wheelset.

EA120711
08-27-2013, 02:50 PM
To complete the group, you will need brakes and cables, cassette, chain, crankset and possibly a bottom bracket.

To complete the bike you will need:

frame
headset
stem
possibly spacers
bars
bar tape
seatpost
saddle
possibly seatpost clamp
possibly FD clamp
wheels
rim strips
tires
tubes
small parts for cables
water bottle and cage

One can build many great bikes with a $1300 budget if you shop prudently. But that budget get will not get you DI2. Besides, while it is certainly possible to use DI2 as part of your first build, it will add complexity to you first build.

If you want DI2 and decent wheels, you will have to at least double your budget IMHO.

If you want to stick with $1300 for a complete bike, you are looking at Shimano 105, Sram Apex or Campy Veloce groupsets if you want new and a ton of other possibilities and combinations if you are willing to hunt for used.

Good luck!

I agree!! Besides going 105 apex or veloce will allow you to put more on the frame and wheels if possible . Good luck!!

kenmetzger
08-27-2013, 02:57 PM
Looks like you will still need a battery and wires if you pick that up on EBay.

The only way to work it your budget and "needs" would to buy the used Di2 group + battery and put it all on a Craigslist aluminum bike (~$200). Then, just need to get a lighter more modern wheel, chain, and cassette (~$250).

It could be done, but almost your whole budget is going to be a groupset that is not needed. Even bike line reps will tell you that Di2 is a luxury item for those with disposable income. There is not much performance associated with electronic groups.

Get either a new (on sale) or used complete bike with 105. It will probably have to be aluminum if it is newly used.

slidey
08-27-2013, 03:09 PM
Nothing wrong in wanting to meet tough goals, but in *this case* I'd advise ditching Di2 and sticking with just Ultegra mechanical. That way you also increase your chances of finding a deal-priced frame, without it having to fulfill the additional requirement of supporting Di2 internal routing/wiring, whatever that means.

cmg
08-27-2013, 03:58 PM
used fuji, merckx, motobecane or jamis carbon frame - $650+/- , cobbled ultegra drivetrain, off brand crank, ultegra or lower brakeset - $500+, eBay wheelset $300+/- $100 cables, bars, seat posts, cages, pedals. you may be a little short.. get an aluminum frame to lower start up costs. best bet, buy a complete bike that has some components, sell what you don't want, eBay what you do. it will take some time.. I've done the fuji, Merckx, jamis eBay route. cobbling is fun. you can build yourself or have built a better "good semi lightweight wheelset" than you can buy as a pre-built. visit the bikehubstore. use more that 24 spks on the rear. Ultegra Di2 can come later. look at craigslist for bargains or places to buy something for parts. the serotta i posted in the classifieds is a good example http://enid.craigslist.org/bik/4012818817.html not perfect but a good start.

Gsinill
08-27-2013, 03:58 PM
Buy the best (well fitting) frame you can afford and upgrade parts over time; as was said above.

+1
on top of it, it's fun

stien
08-27-2013, 04:08 PM
I've seen some smoking deals on di2 bikes without wheels. People upgrading. Maybe just under 2k. Throw some cheap wheels and go go go.

bloody sunday
08-27-2013, 04:26 PM
Wow, thanks for the great response, everyone. I would be more than happy without Di2. I really like Campagnolo, and Ultegra +.
I would even consider SRAM Rival + at the right price.

The deal I'm working on is this (complete):
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/4002971778.html

But, the wheelset is awful, and I'm asking if he would take $1300, but he's not budging. You think $1300 is fair for this bike?

I mean, it's an okay frame with an okay gruppo. I may just go for it if he will accept $1300, right?

bloody sunday
08-27-2013, 04:27 PM
I've seen some smoking deals on di2 bikes without wheels. People upgrading. Maybe just under 2k. Throw some cheap wheels and go go go.

Yeah, I'm seeing some on CL, but most aren't my size. I'm looking for something in a 54cm