PDA

View Full Version : For anyone with a sadistic partner

MattTuck
08-27-2013, 09:10 AM
I've been watching this series of videos called "Mobility WOD" which is a lot of stretching tissue mobilization exercises.

This one (for the calf) is killing me. You can do it solo (as he demonstrates) or if you have a sadistic partner, they can cause you lots of pain.

Link to the specific point in the video. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GUHEVWtBlac#t=339)

redir
08-27-2013, 10:05 AM
Yeah that one looks rough I have not tried that one. I like using a foam roller and The Stick. It hurts but it hurts good.

MattTuck
08-27-2013, 11:24 AM
Yeah that one looks rough I have not tried that one. I like using a foam roller and The Stick. It hurts but it hurts good.

I don't have the flexibility (or maybe the right technique) to get the foam roller to do much with my calf. The movement in the video was a game changer for me, in terms of working the calf.... and the amount of pain.

Also, he makes the point (either in this video or another video) that using a roller to roll up and down a muscle (along the axis of contraction) does different stuff than mobilizing it perpendicular to that axis.

daker13
08-27-2013, 03:24 PM
Kelly Starrett definitely has some good insights/exercises, but that guy irritates the cr*p out of me for some reason... I don't know what it is, but something about the guy... however his push up tips were very helpful.

oldpotatoe
08-27-2013, 07:35 PM
Kelly Starrett definitely has some good insights/exercises, but that guy irritates the cr*p out of me for some reason... I don't know what it is, but something about the guy... however his push up tips were very helpful.

When somebody bugs you right away, it's because you met him in a previous life and didn't like him, opposite why you like somebody instantly.

TINS

CDM
08-27-2013, 08:06 PM
because in those youtube videos he was setting himself up for the next step which is a pay site. He sometimes talks very fast and uses the lingo to make you feel like you are trying to catch up. Then he sells you stuff like foam rollers and books so you can catch up. Then you NEED to sign on to his new site. Perfectly alligned with the internet presence/marketing genius of crossfit !
Anyway there is a lot to be gained from the free part, just dont expect it to continue indeffinately.