PDA

View Full Version : Moving from Atlanta to Chicago

Jollymon
12-29-2005, 08:23 PM
Happy New Year everyone.

Moving from Atlanta to Chicago.

What are the necessities (besides rollers) for really cold weather cycling?

What tights are the best? Gloves, jackets, face cover-uppers (though I don't think that is the official name) etc. Going into poverty on the house, so I will be on a budget.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Matthew
12-29-2005, 08:45 PM
Welcome to the balmy midwest Jollymon!! For my cold weather riding here in Michigan I still wear stuff from Pearl Izumi. There are some folks here on the forum that are a little down on their products but I still think they are good. I recommend products with Windstopper and Gore-tex. You can check the usual mail order catalogs like Performance, Colorado Cyclist, or Nashbar as they offer their own brands of cold weather gear. When you get to Chicago you can also check some of the local shops in your area or cbike.com (I think that is the correct site). I believe they are located in Chicago. Enjoy the city, the Mrs. and I travel there at least 4 times a year and enjoy it very much. Good Luck. Matthew.

Rover-Rich
12-29-2005, 08:48 PM
Welcome to the windy city! Get ready for the "Hawk" or the wind off the lake, it makes cold days feel MUCH colder than the advertised wind chill.

Anyhow, I used to ride along the Lakefront / Inner Lakeshore Drive year round or until the roads were completely snow covered. For me the keys to comfortable winter cycling was a balaclava, vasaline type face ointment, warm gloves and good shoe covers. Aside from that, I used a windproof fleece and windproof running pants with long underwear and my cycling shorts beneath. Nothing more special.

I loved the looks I'd get from the people walking down Michigan ave when I rode in January and February, people thought I was nuts :) Just to let you know, I stopped riding in winter especially when it got nasty outside as I once wiped out on the road, right in front of oncoming traffic! Got lucky and walked / ran out of traffic immediately.

What part of Chicago are you moving to?

Hard Fit
12-29-2005, 09:32 PM
See the Chicago Cycling Club Dec. 25 and Jan. 1 rides at www.chicagocyclngclub.org.

Not sure if you are into Critical Mass type rides, but they have information about riding in the winter at:

http://www.bikewinter.org/main.php

circusbike
12-29-2005, 09:40 PM
I like the Etxe Ondo stuff for quality and style. The protection is great too. They use N2S Next To Skin wind stopper and it means it. you can wear a base layer under it and that is all you need. Check it out. It is well worth the dough

Fixed
12-29-2005, 09:51 PM
bro get a fix and go to the art museum.i.m.h.o. cheers :beer:

Jollymon
12-29-2005, 10:09 PM
What part of Chicago are you moving to?

Our house is in Plainfield, and my office will be in Burr Ridge.

Thanks for the tips.

spiderlake
12-29-2005, 10:22 PM
Welcome to the great midwest!! I'm with Matthew on the Pearl Izumi recommendation. I have been VERY happy with their Nordic pants (windproof front and breathable on the back section) for winter biking, x-country skiing and the like. They might be considered kinda loose for some bikers but check 'em out at:

http://www.pearlizumi.com/product.php?mode=view&product_id=100652&type_id=1&sport_id=3&category_id=4&color_code=021

As for gloves, most of my friends use the PI Amfib and all rave about them. My gloves are actually from SPOKES Wear and I love them. They are a bit cheaper than other gloves and not as flashy but they are thick neoprene combined with synthetic leather. I'd rate these gloves as being comfortable even when the temps get into the high teens/low twenties. The SPOKES gloves can be viewed at:

http://www.spokeswear.com/bikeglove.html

Booties are also considered a must in the depths of winter. Windproof/waterproof is desireable. Most vendors make decent booties. SPOKES and Louis Garneau are seen a lot in this area but I really don't think you can go wrong with any vendor.

Base layers are an important consideration. I've been happy (extremely happy) with Smartwool. Soft, light and WARM! I bought a set of medium weight last month and while I love them, they *might* be overkill for really rigorous activity. I have worn them skiing a couple of times and felt a bit overheated at times. Their socks are top notch no matter the temperature. If you aren't familiar with smartwool:

http://www.smartwool.com/

Let's see, what else..... depending on the temps and your tolerance for pain, you can wear anything on your head ranging from a simple headband that covers the ears to a full-blown face mask. Most days I can get by with a skull cap that fits under my helmet and covers my ears. I have seen some people with PI facemasks but for me, if it gets that cold then I am going to seek the indoors!

I didn't cover a jacket but if you are layering properly, you can generally get by with a lightweight shell. I might wear a vest under the shell but the key is layering. With the wind coming off Lake Michigan, you might want to consider wind barrier membrane and/or goretex.

Hope this helps!!

Darrin

Happy New Year everyone.

What are the necessities (besides rollers) for really cold weather cycling?

What tights are the best? Gloves, jackets, face cover-uppers (though I don't think that is the official name) etc. Going into poverty on the house, so I will be on a budget.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

spiderlake
12-29-2005, 10:27 PM
bro get a fix and go to the art museum.i.m.h.o. cheers :beer:

Fixies rule the road in downtown Chicago. I have never seen so many in all my life (never been to NYC). The Art Institute is world class. Free admission on Tuesday's and well worth the visit.

Rover-Rich
12-30-2005, 08:30 PM
Jollymon, I live in Burr Ridge, we'll have to hook up. Send me a PM sometime and maybe we can go for a ride. Oh, there are a ton of local shops and some great ones around the Western Burbs, Chicago and Evanston areas too. Cheers. :beer:

H.Frank Beshear
12-30-2005, 10:30 PM
Jolly come to the Quadcities in early june and do TOMRV. It's a fun ride with a few hills, some are bigger than others :D . Check our website http://www.qcbc.org/ . We are about 3 hours southwest depending on where you live. Frank

taz-t
12-31-2005, 12:26 AM
Happy New Year everyone.

WHY???

- Taz in Atlanta

shinomaster
12-31-2005, 01:44 AM
Dude...buy a good down coat!

For riding in the sub freezing temps get a fleece balaclava or a neckwarmer that you can cover your mouth with. I used to ride in New York in the ice on my mountain bike back when I was young...froze my lungs once and got bronchitus....sucked....never been the same since! Be careful!!!

P.S. wear a wool sock over your penis.

shinomaster
12-31-2005, 01:50 AM
WHY???

- Taz in Atlanta

WHY????

1)The Chicago Art Museum.
2) Charlie Trotter
3) Oprah

Ginger
12-31-2005, 08:50 AM
Not as much as you think you need.
Build up your winter experience. Don't go out for a two hour ride your first time out...go around the block...then make it a half hour, etc...you'll learn what works for you as you spend more time outdoors on your bike. You'll also find the emergency stops before you need them: Just where are the places you can stop and wait (24 hour gas stations, etc.), or get warm in if you really need to. You should never place yourself in the position to need them, but if they're available it's good to know where they are along your route.

When I can ride outdoors in winter, I'm usually on the mountain bike.
I go with shorts, PI amfib tights, a filament silk turtleneck, a long sleeved/heavier jersey, and a windfront jacket and long fingered gloves. I put moose mitts on the bike (big waterproof, insulated envelopes that cover the handlebars/shifters...toasty!) with a couple heat packs in there. Winter boots with cleats (remember to caulk the bottom of your shoe/cleat attachment area to help keep your feet dry) Wool socks with chemical heaters. If it's really cold I'll put heaters both below and above my toes. I wear a head covering of some sort, and occasionally a neoprene mask of some sort, but those things usually just annoy me.

This year I picked up some Nokian studded tires so I don't slip so much on black ice too...we'll see how that works.

itsalldark
12-31-2005, 10:38 AM
Go see the folks at Albertos Cycles in Highland Park---They will set you up and give you all the options and info you need for all your cycling needs! Great looking shop too.

taz-t
12-31-2005, 10:59 AM
WHY????

1)The Chicago Art Museum.
2) Charlie Trotter
3) Oprah

1 & 2 - That's what Delta's for.

3 - :confused:

Tomorrow's 9am New Year's ride: I will wear PI Thermafleece tights, PI Kodiak Lite jersey, Craft Windstopper Jacket, Biemme windstopper gloves, toe covers, PI headband. I will be overdressed...

- Taz in Atlanta

rePhil
12-31-2005, 11:17 AM
Not to hijack... but I am originally from Joliet. We have family in Plainfield. Years back there was a cool bike shop just starting out I think it was called "Straight Ahead Cyclery" Anyone ever been there? It was located in the middle of nowhere, guy appeared to really like bikes. He had spotlights shining on his display bikes, beautiful fixtures etc....

Jollymon, I wish you a smooth move, and many happy miles

Jollymon
12-31-2005, 09:23 PM
Years back there was a cool bike shop just starting out I think it was called "Straight Ahead Cyclery" Anyone ever been there? It was located in the middle of nowhere, guy appeared to really like bikes. He had spotlights shining on his display bikes, beautiful fixtures etc....

Thank you for your thoughts.

The Serotta dealer in Downer's Grove just opened a small shop in Plainfield. My wife jokes that this is the reason I was pushing for Plainfield...

Jollymon
12-31-2005, 09:26 PM
Jolly come to the Quadcities in early june and do TOMRV. It's a fun ride with a few hills, some are bigger than others :D . Check our website http://www.qcbc.org/ . We are about 3 hours southwest depending on where you live. Frank

Frank. I will plan on it. Thanks!

Jollymon
12-31-2005, 09:34 PM
WHY???

- Taz in Atlanta

I know, man...leaving the south... I have wrestled with this one for a while. I am about 5 years into my career, and have a good advancement opportunity. I have been back and forth for the past several months transitioning, and have grown to love the midwest. I know the winter is going to take some getting-used-to, but there is something about Chicago that is a breath of fresh air. I am leaving a piece of my heart in Atlanta, though...

Rover-Rich
12-31-2005, 09:51 PM
Not to hijack... but I am originally from Joliet. We have family in Plainfield. Years back there was a cool bike shop just starting out I think it was called "Straight Ahead Cyclery" Anyone ever been there? It was located in the middle of nowhere, guy appeared to really like bikes. He had spotlights shining on his display bikes, beautiful fixtures etc....

That was a great shop! The dude there was totally into bikes and was super cool. His shop was in Yorkville I believe, don't know if he is still around.

I recall walking into his shop one day, chatting with him for a bit, then having him tell me to "go try that one." He was pointing to a brand new full suspension Manitou!! That was back years ago when the first Manitou shock came out. That bike was just about as exotic and as $$$$ as they came back then and here I was a young punk out of college with no more than two nickels to his name being offered a ride on a bike I could never afford. That really left a mark on me. Don't get that kind of service too often anymore. Cheers!

Ken Robb
12-31-2005, 11:12 PM
Is there an Electromotive plant off Plainfield Rd? Can you still skate on the river at Fullersburg? Picnic at Graue Mill?

05Fierte TI
01-01-2006, 08:48 AM
Originally Posted by Picshooter
Years back there was a cool bike shop just starting out I think it was called "Straight Ahead Cyclery" Anyone ever been there? It was located in the middle of nowhere, guy appeared to really like bikes. He had spotlights shining on his display bikes, beautiful fixtures etc....

The shop was Straight Up Cyclery in Yorkville. Cool shop in the middle of a corn field with a gravel parking lot. At one time, he was a big Davidson dealer, don't know if it still exists

Rover-Rich
01-01-2006, 09:02 AM
Originally Posted by Picshooter

The shop was Straight Up Cyclery in Yorkville. Cool shop in the middle of a corn field with a gravel parking lot. At one time, he was a big Davidson dealer, don't know if it still exists

That's the shop! I did a websearch and found this, I think it is the same guy:

Paul Davis was an avid cyclist and developed the original websites for Folks on Spokes and the League of Illinois Bicyclists. He received his bachelor's and master's degrees from U of C and worked at the U of C Hospital for about 20 years. He got interested in biking when he and his wife Renette lived in Hyde Park — she had an old, used 10-speed bike that she rode to work, and when it was stolen, they both decided to get new ones. In 1990, he rode across the United States in 21 days with Lon Haldeman and Susan Notorangelo on the PAC tour. It was one of the highlights of his life. He also rode all of the qualifying brevets for the Paris-Brest-Paris ride, although he didn't go to France.

I first heard about Paul when I came across his bikemarks, which had been last updated in July 1997, in May 2000 when searching for biking pages with U of Chicago addresses. I contacted his wife Renette (the bikemarks were on her website) to inquire about whether anyone was updating the page anymore, and she told me that Paul died from a malignant brain tumor in 1999. At that point, I volunteered to maintain his bikemarks on the Velo Club's website.

-Greg Munson

I'm not entirely sure, but I do recall something about him riding with Lon H, anyone else know more?

ti_boi
01-01-2006, 09:09 AM
Our house is in Plainfield, and my office will be in Burr Ridge.

Thanks for the tips.

Chicago is to the right, but as someone who lived "in Chicago" for 5 years, you are not actually moving to Chicago....as for anyone who lives in the burbs, ...you should move to the Northside...that is where the action is ...Once you hit Niles, Evanston, or Cicero...you are 'way out of the city'...as for Plainfield? You might as well live in Iowa. :D

rePhil
01-01-2006, 09:28 AM
[QUOTE=Rover-Rich]That's the shop! I did a websearch and found this, I think it is the same guy:

Paul Davis was an avid cyclist and developed the original websites for Folks on Spokes and the League of Illinois Bicyclists.

I remember the gentlemans name at straight Ahead as "Jack Writer" or something similiar.
I remember the Davidsons he had and his willingness to let you try anything he had. Does anyone know if the shop is still around?