PDA

View Full Version : Reynolds RZR

Ryun
08-27-2013, 06:33 AM
Anyone have any experience with Reynolds RZR wheels?
CC has them marked down to 2900 which get them in the neighborhood of other carbon wheels. Certainly the weight is very attractive and seems like a solid wheel but I dont see a lot of feedback on them.

Ryun

54ny77
08-27-2013, 09:50 AM
pal of mine has 'em (got 'em at super steep discount though, and when they 1st came out they were like 6 grand or so) and loves 'em. race wheels only. he's ultra light, 130-ish & rides quite fast. my morning cup of coffee and a slice of toast probably weighs more than the entire front wheel (that's with tire).

a knowledgeable pal once told me that the wheels are no bueno, flexy and based on bad design (the designer used to be a wheelbuilder that went bust, or something like that), and that for the money lightweights are far far better.

anyway, with the team deal that my pal got, he was happy. have i said they're light? i mean ridiculously light.

torquer
08-27-2013, 12:41 PM
(the designer used to be a wheelbuilder that went bust, or something like that.
Paul Lew's wheels had both avid fans and rabid critics.
Dunno if Reynolds' QC made them better, but most complaints seemed to be about customer service. I don't recall hearing bad things about these wheels (other than they're expensive, but that comes with the territory).

Charles M
08-27-2013, 02:24 PM
Back when the RZR were Lew Racing there were nothing but problems with the wheels and with the customer service as a number of both customers and wheel builders were left hanging as Lew jumped to Reynolds.

I think Reynolds have fixed a lot of the issues but I wouldn't take a pair of these if they were free based on principal alone.

rnhood
08-27-2013, 02:57 PM
I know someone with a set and, he advised me to get a pair of DA C50 wheels, or the 3.4 Enve if I had money to burn. He said the RZR's were flexy and vague on descents. He doesn't think they are suitable for serious riding even at their rather low rider weight limit.

Ryun
08-28-2013, 12:36 PM
Thanks guys
Based on all the feedback, I am goin to pass on the rzrs
I ended up going with some 3.4s with alchemy hubs
Looking forward to seeing how they handle gusty Florida weather
I love the feel of my lightweights but they are a hand ful on windy evenings

thegunner
08-28-2013, 12:42 PM
Thanks guys
Based on all the feedback, I am goin to pass on the rzrs
I ended up going with some 3.4s with alchemy hubs
Looking forward to seeing how they handle gusty Florida weather
I love the feel of my lightweights but they are a hand ful on windy evenings

damn that's some serious wheelage.

"yeah... i'm running my backup alchemy + enve SES's... my lightweights felt too gusty"

Ryun
08-28-2013, 12:46 PM
Well they are on different bikes:)
I best not mention the other high zoot wheels I have on other bikes
It's my own carbon wheel shootout

thegunner
08-28-2013, 02:05 PM
a man's man when it comes to the world of high end bikes you are :)