PDA

View Full Version : Disk brakes for road bikes?

Willy
08-26-2013, 11:29 PM
Opinions please. Any benefit or just marketing?

akelman
08-26-2013, 11:32 PM
You might want to do a search either here or at v-salon. The topic has been covered, covered, and then covered again.

dd74
08-26-2013, 11:35 PM
Benefit? I'm not sure. They're heavier than caliper brakes, but on the plus side, one doesn't have to change brake pads when going back and forth between aluminum and carbon wheels. Also they supposedly brake better in the wet.

fogrider
08-26-2013, 11:55 PM
what are you planning for the bike? are you planning on commuting in portland? or summer riding in texas? are you having problems with what you have?

I mean I understand if you just want something new...but if there is no problem to solve, why. in many ways, I think brakes are over rated...I have to ride through the city to get out to where the riding is good and there are lots of descents in the bay area, but I'm not looking for the steepest hills to race down with a stop light at the bottom. most of the time I just need to scrub some speed to make a turn...but I want to keep as much speed as I can handle. I want brakes I can trust, but that's it. I know some guys just don't feel comfortable descending fast and need to ride the brakes all the way down, then it makes sense to go with disc brakes on a road bike.

KidWok
08-27-2013, 12:41 AM
Yeah...we just discussed in the rim brakes + fenders thread...here was my take:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=1407767&postcount=49

Tai

oldpotatoe
08-27-2013, 07:23 AM
Opinions please. Any benefit or just marketing?

No

Yes

zap
08-27-2013, 08:57 AM
Heavier.

Less aerodynamic.

More maintenance.

You know what.......ceramic brakes built into rim's will be hot in 5 years. Much bigger than than those tiny discs, lighter, more aerodynamic and simple maintenance. :rolleyes:

saab2000
08-27-2013, 09:03 AM
The battery that powers the motor in Cancellara's bike is recharged using regenerative braking. Kind of like a Prius.

Dave B
08-27-2013, 09:19 AM
I still think there is an advantage if:

1. You are heavy and need extra braking power
2. Using carbon rim...braking is loads better especially in wet
3. Sketchy conditions, snow, rain, ice, etc.
4. The weight isn't that significant especially since no one here ride professionally in the tour and is kidding themselves need a 12 pound bike.

5. combinations of 1, 2, 3

are they necessary, probably not for all folks, however they do benefit some. I could see a loaded touring bike being a great application. Cross bikes or more important cross racing might see benefits, but I doubt crits or stage racers will need this.

People are trying to find a reason to justify having them. If it appeals to you then try it, if not don't worry about what is "next" and enjoy what you have now.

kevinvc
08-27-2013, 12:39 PM
If you're going to be doing a lot of commuting / city type riding that involves frequent braking, discs are definitely something worth considering if you're in a really wet environment.

I have calipers on my everyday p.o.s. commuter and, living in Portland, OR, go through a set of rims every two years or so because of grinding road grit into them every day. I'm also fairly lax in my maintenance schedule and I wouldn't have a problem if I was meticulous about cleaning the rims and drive train every single day. If I was looking for a rainy season road bike for training purposes they could have the same advantage.

I'm not saying they are a must have, but they do have their places where they're worth considering.

VA-Scooter
08-27-2013, 01:11 PM
Last year I put together a new road bike with disc brakes. They are real smooth & allow me to run some wider tires. That is about the only plus I have noticed. If you do not want to use wider tires I see no reason to get disc. Regular road brakes do real good job with a bit less fussing.

Charles M
08-27-2013, 02:32 PM
Loads of comments... one other factor to consider (brake line type)

Raise your hand if you have direct product experience with Hydro Disc (or rim) brakes though??

(insert cricket noises)

The braking performance is fantastic. The braking performance for carbon tubulars is fantasticer... And wet and carbon tubulars there's no bother comparing the two.

Modulation in the wet on carbon is the same or better than Dura Ace on new Mavic Exolith in the dry.

Braking is notably better control in the dry as well.

Absolutely agree that there are other things considered here, but the braking control / performance of hydro discs (from Shimano and SRAM) is simply better than anything else available currently.

I would venture to say that without riding the available equipment one may speak of their best guess but should reserve judgment.

oldpotatoe
08-27-2013, 02:56 PM
Loads of comments... one other factor to consider (brake line type)

Raise your hand if you have direct product experience with Hydro Disc (or rim) brakes though??

(insert cricket noises)

The braking performance is fantastic. The braking performance for carbon tubulars is fantasticer... And wet and carbon tubulars there's no bother comparing the two.

Modulation in the wet on carbon is the same or better than Dura Ace on new Mavic Exolith in the dry.

Braking is notably better control in the dry as well.

Absolutely agree that there are other things considered here, but the braking control / performance of hydro discs (from Shimano and SRAM) is simply better than anything else available currently.

I would venture to say that without riding the available equipment one may speak of their best guess but should reserve judgment.

What percentage of 'enthusiast's' bicycles, those that are normally not ridden when it's raining, use carbon tubulars?

No doubt stronger, better modulation but a full tilt race bike 'races' better than a standard enthusiast's bike.

Is a 6 paddle shifted WRX better than a Subaru with an automatic transmission? How about a full boat Ducati with traction control...is that better than a Monster?

Do $15 Tektro dual pivots stop lots worse than a set of Record or DA dual pivots?

Is EPS better than Record mechanical?

I guess, like electronic shifting, if mechaincal were vague, unreliable, fragile,
electronic would fix that. But it's not.

With the exception of that small, carbon rimmed(and in the rain/), segment of the market, these are firmly in the 'nice to have at a price', segment, IMHO.

miguel
08-27-2013, 04:25 PM
yes

did it

on an old serotta

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=116239

christian
08-27-2013, 04:28 PM

Hydraulic road discs are as much better than rim brakes as unicorn poop is. But unicorn poop is easier to presently buy at the LBS.

tmf
08-27-2013, 09:29 PM
I have no interest in road bikes with discs, but this C59 caught my eye. It would make a nice commuter! This was at the CX Worlds earlier this year - it was too muddy to take it around for a spin.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/todd4ta/Bikes/Colnago%20C59%20disc/IMG_2667_zpsb6665608.jpg

Charles M
08-28-2013, 06:20 PM
Hydraulic road discs are as much better than rim brakes as unicorn poop is. But unicorn poop is easier to presently buy at the LBS.

My Unicorn looks like this.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/sr1310.jpg

I wasn't guessing at saying Hydro disc works notably better wet or dry.

neither was the guy at Road CC... http://road.cc/content/news/81139-first-ride-sram-red-22 (http://road.cc/content/news/81139-first-ride-sram-red-22)

His sentiments were the same as everyone else I spoke with that put miles on the product.

Better overall power than any rim brake, but more importantly greater modulation, any condition, any wheel type.

christian
08-28-2013, 06:23 PM
Those are handsome handlebars.